Oklahoma State makes "11-2" rings

Kentucky also got rings following their bowl loss.

Kentucky also got rings following their bowl loss.

Yeah, but they're not rewriting their own history so that a loss - as controversial as it was - is now a win.

In a sense, they almost might as well have gone ahead and put "Cotton Bowl" on the side of their rings as well.

I just watched the intentional grounding that preceded the Hail Mary. I'm watching our Bristol game, and it's on the halftime highlights.

I disagree with the rule and believe they should get the untimed down, because the pass is what caused the time to run out. In other words, the intentional grounding (the illegal pass) would have helped the team committing the foul. Without the illegal pass, there is a good chance that the QB gets sacked on 4th down before the time runs out. Oklahoma State should not have benefited from their intentional grounding, just like UNC should not have benefited from their Music City Bowl penalty.

CMU deserved to win. No controversy, IMO.

If the play had been officiated correctly, and had it happened in a bigger game against a Power Five team, perhaps a rule change would have been pushed for.

I'm not arguing for an untimed play because a loss of down should somehow be carried over to the next possession. I'm arguing that an offense should not be able to use an illegal play to run out the clock.

What's bad is that Gundy was singing a much different tune in his post-game presser. He referred to his decision as a "dumb call on my part"'and said even if the refs did get it wrong, it was his fault for drawing up an intentional ground play.

It's like the butthurt set in and then he decided to throw a hissy fit and put it all on the refs.

Last edited:
I disagree with the rule and believe they should get the untimed down, because the pass is what caused the time to run out. In other words, the intentional grounding (the illegal pass) would have helped the team committing the foul. Without the illegal pass, there is a good chance that the QB gets sacked on 4th down before the time runs out. Oklahoma State should not have benefited from their intentional grounding, just like UNC should not have benefited from their Music City Bowl penalty.

CMU deserved to win. No controversy, IMO.

While I understand your point, the fact is that the rule is what it is. If the rule happened to be similar to what you're proposing, then OSU likely would have lined up in punt formation with a WR back to take the snap. From the CMU 41, OSU easily would have run the remaining 4 seconds off the clock.

Now, you could argue that OSU should have done that anyway, but the fact is that chucking the ball away is the much safer bet, and was the correct call under the rules.

Reactions: 2 people
Good grief. Just have a receiver run down the field and simply let the ball go over his head. Game over and no penalty.

Good grief. Just have a receiver run down the field and simply let the ball go over his head. Game over and no penalty.

Flinging the ball into the 3rd row carries less risk. Though I suppose counting on the officials to know the rules is the riskiest proposition of all.

Flinging the ball into the 3rd row carries less risk. Though I suppose counting on the officials to know the rules is the riskiest proposition of all.

I'm agreeing with you...just have a receiver in the area. Not having a receiver anywhere in that quadrant of the field is what drew the flag.

I'm agreeing with you...just have a receiver in the area. Not having a receiver anywhere in that quadrant of the field is what drew the flag.

You're correct, but OSU didn't care whether or not they drew the flag. The flag should have been irrelevant.

VN Store

Back