James Conner will be the best pure RB from the 2017 NFL Draft

Dobbs 4 Heisman

Just watch: https://youtu.be/a1BbJU9eTmE

Alvin is still my guy but he'll be more of a dual-threat RB in the NFL as a killer runner and receiver. But in terms of pure rushing, James Conner is the best RB in this draft. Dude is a straight up STUD. Reminds me of a Hall of Fame RB Franco Harris.

Leonard Fournette and Dalvin Cook don't come close to James Conner and Alvin Kamara when it comes to top RBs in the 2017 draft.

Last edited:
Just watch: https://youtu.be/a1BbJU9eTmE

Alvin is still my guy but he'll be more of a dual-threat RB in the NFL as a killer runner and receiver. But in terms of pure rushing, James Conner is the best RB in this draft. Dude is a straight up STUD. Reminds me of a Hall of Fame RB Franco Harris.

Leonard Fournette and Dalvin Cook don't come close to James Conner and Alvin Kamara when it comes to top RBs in the 2017 draft.

I'll bite. He's definitely not better than Fournette. I am a fan of James Connor. Before he had cancer, he was going to be a first round pick. The chemo did some damage on him though. If he didn't have cancer, he would be mentioned along those two. I would definitely take a late round pick on him.

Now for Alvin, his problem is going to be injuries. When he got the starting job, he got hurt soon after. The hits will kill his NFL career. He's not built stocky enough to take a beating 20 times a game for 16 weeks out of the year.

I'll bite. He's definitely not better than Fournette. I am a fan of James Connor. Before he had cancer, he was going to be a first round pick. The chemo did some damage on him though. If he didn't have cancer, he would be mentioned along those two. I would definitely take a late round pick on him.

Now for Alvin, his problem is going to be injuries. When he got the starting job, he got hurt soon after. The hits will kill his NFL career. He's not built stocky enough to take a beating 20 times a game for 16 weeks out of the year.

I believe Fournette will be a bust. Now that doesn't necessarily mean he won't have any good seasons. I think he'll have a couple of good years. But I don't think he'll be as good as many RBs in this class and won't be among the elite in the NFL as many assume.

Conner
Kamara
McCaffrey
Mixon

Those four will be the best RBs from this draft.

So he'll have a couple good years but he'll be a bust?

And what is it that you predict happens in year 3 that causes him to be a bust?

So he'll have a couple good years but he'll be a bust?

And what is it that you predict happens in year 3 that causes him to be a bust?

A bust is someone who fails to live up to the hype. Fournette will be expected to be a superstar if he's picked in the top 5. A solid career like would be a disappointment. That is my point.

And he definitely won't be the best or second best RB from this class. Conner, Kamara, McCaffrey, and Mixon will all be better than him in the pros.

A bust is someone who fails to live up to the hype.

That is not the accepted definition of a "bust." That line of thinking is why you say stupid stuff like calling Andrew Luck a bust.

By your standard, if Josh Dobbs does not have the best season in NFL history, he will be a "bust".

Reactions: 8 people
I believe Fournette will be a bust. Now that doesn't necessarily mean he won't have any good seasons. I think he'll have a couple of good years. But I don't think he'll be as good as many RBs in this class and won't be among the elite in the NFL as many assume.

Conner
Kamara
McCaffrey
Mixon

I agree with all of this. Fournette will have a solid 2 seasons maybe 3 but his durability will catch up to him

A bust is someone who fails to live up to the hype. Fournette will be expected to be a superstar if he's picked in the top 5. A solid career like would be a disappointment. That is my point.

And he definitely won't be the best or second best RB from this class. Conner, Kamara, McCaffrey, and Mixon will all be better than him in the pros.

I think it depends more on who drafts them. If Zeke Elliot had been taken by the Browns I doubt he cracks 1000 yards this year. If Fournette goes somewhere that has to rely on him too much or doesnt have a good OL then he wont last long. Same could be said about any other RB you listed though.

Reactions: 1 person

The more you post about the NFL, the more I'm convinced you'started watching it last year.

Reactions: 2 people
That is not the accepted definition of a "bust." That line of thinking is why you say stupid stuff like calling Andrew Luck a bust.

By your standard, if Josh Dobbs does not have the best season in NFL history, he will be a "bust".

I really hate to agree with a bammer, but.....

Conner
Kamara
McCaffrey
Mixon

We'll have this conversation continued after the draft. It depends on the teams these guys go on. I can tell you like All-Purpose Backs.

If everyone said what I was saying sure. But the consensus right now is that Josh is a developmental QB with a chance to be a solid starter that is going to be drafted in the 2nd-3rd round. If he turns out to be a good starter, he would exceed expectations.

A bust isn't defined by one person's opinion of the prospect but rather what the general consensus is. That is how Alex Smith is considered a bust even though he has out together a pretty solid career. He went 1st overall in a draft that included Aaron Rodgers. By that standard he's a bust. If he went in the second round he would have been a steal.

Cook will be better than McCaffery

Not a chance. Cook might be one of the most overrated players in this draft. He reminds me of Melvin Gordon. And that is not a good thing considering how much of a bust Melvin Gordon has been so far.

Not a chance. Cook might be one of the most overrated players in this draft. He reminds me of Melvin Gordon. And that is not a good thing considering how much of a bust Melvin Gordon has been so far.

997 yards with 10 TDs with a terrible team isn't bad. I don't think Cook or McCaffery are going to be great. Offense is not all that good this year.

997 yards with 10 TDs with a terrible team isn't bad. I don't think Cook or McCaffery are going to be great. Offense is not all that good this year.

3.9 ypc is. And he also had 0 TDs as a rookie and also had microfracture surgery.

Typically RBs show their worth early. So far Melvin Gordon looks like a bust given where he was drafted.

If everyone said what I was saying sure. But the consensus right now is that Josh is a developmental QB with a chance to be a solid starter that is going to be drafted in the 2nd-3rd round. If he turns out to be a good starter, he would exceed expectations.

A bust isn't defined by one person's opinion of the prospect but rather what the general consensus is. That is how Alex Smith is considered a bust even though he has out together a pretty solid career. He went 1st overall in a draft that included Aaron Rodgers. By that standard he's a bust. If he went in the second round he would have been a steal.

Who considers Alex Smith a bust at this point? Who in their right mind would have that opinion?

Who considers Alex Smith a bust at this point? Who in their right mind would have that opinion?

With the 49ers, he was bust material until he showed some of his potential before he was traded to the Chiefs. Considering the Chiefs got him for a second rounder, they're happy.

Most everyone. He was taken first overall in the 2005 NFL draft and has been nothing more than an average starter in the league over his career.

Typically when you pick a QB first overall you're looking for more than just AVERAGE. Especially when a guy like Aaron Rodgers was on the board and available for you to take.

Melvin Gordon had a pretty nice second season and is trending upward, especially with Woodhead out of the way. He made the Pro Bowl last season and had 1400+ scrimmage yds and 12 TDs. Not a great example.

Reactions: 2 people
This is a deep draft for RBs if I was an NFL GM no way I take one until the 3rd round.

Try Jordan Howard then. Or Todd Gurley the year before. Or Alfred Morris a few years ago.

Typically rookie RBs play at a high level right off the bat.

All those were clear feature backs though. Gordon split carries and ceded almost all passing down work as a rookie to Danny Woodhead. With Woodhead injured last season, you saw more of a glimpse of what Gordon could be as a feature back. And that he did that immediately following microfracture surgery is all the more impressive. Again, just not a great example.

Jury is still out on Howard, as he's just played one season, but your other two examples, Gurley and Morris (especially) are trending down. Morris is fighting to be 2nd string in Dallas, and Gurley averaged 3.2 ypc and managed 6 TDs his second year in an offense where he is clearly the featured back.

To me, it would appear Gurley and Gordon are two backs headed in opposite directions.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back