Of the Final Four, who do you want to win?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
So we have South Carolina, Gonzaga, North Carolina and Oregon.

I'm typically and underdog kind of fan, and you could consider three of these teams underdogs in some way.

South Carolina has never been this far in the NCAAT, but I can't pull for South Carolina. Plus, the whole Currie/Martin thing just makes it worse.

Oregon is another underdog, but those uniforms. And they're in the Pac-10. I just don't think I can pull for them.

This is also the furthest Gonzaga has ever been, but looking at their accomplishments, and their record this year, it's hard to truly consider them an underdog. I think traditionally the Zags are overhyped. Their strength of schedule is 78. Boo that.

That leaves me pulling for North Carolina by default. And it helps that I dislike Dook.

Who's your team?

Reactions: 1 person
i root against Carolina any time i get the chance, their fans remind me of Bama football fans. that said, living here, it is more fun when they win, and i wouldn't be upset if UNC won it all, just to rile up the dookies that live here too. i know the Iron Bowl always gets top billing as greatest rivalry, but living here for 20 years now, there's no two more entertaining fan bases to listen go at each other like Duke/UNC fans.

and to have 'ol roy get another title while K has to watch....carolina fans will be out for blood.

so i'll root for Carolina. definitely not rooting for USCe. couldn't care less about Oregon. Gonzaga....eh, good story, good program, great coach in Few, so i wouldn't be upset if they won it, just wouldn't move the needle for me at all. kind of like 'nova last year. good for them...moving on.

Honestly, I'd like to see Gonzaga win it all. Despite having a very poor strength of schedule, they're a complete team who plays with great chemistry. I also like Mark Few as a coach and person. But I will say this, Frank Martin has done an outstanding job with South Carolina. I don't think one person in the world had them going to the Final Four which I had them losing in the 2nd round of my bracket. They've played some really good teams and won so I think they deserve the National Championship, especially with that elite defense that Martin has built. Either way, I'd be happy with either of those teams.

Ok. But why?

When I don't have a dog in the hunt, I generally like underdogs unless I have some specific reason to not like them (e.g., if Alabama or Florida were an underdog I wouldn't necessarily like them more in that spot).

I don't have anything against South Carolina, and they are an SEC team that nobody thought would go anywhere near this far, so that is why they are #1 even though the further they go the worse our new AD looks. I think the only people who are making that connection though are our own fans. :)

Gonzaga has kind of worn out their welcome with me over the years; they are almost Buffalo Bills-like with always getting into the tournament as a high seed and advancing a little ways before bowing out. But they are still a good story.

I actually happen to like North Carolina because my grandfather is an alum and I really can't stand Duke, but I'd just like to see Oregon win it more than them since they aren't really a basketball school and haven't won it before. Dana Altman is a really good coach.

If North Carolina wins, I wonder if the media would turn up the heat again on them and the NCAA to resolve the fake class situation. It's a favorite tactic of the media; ride the horse for as long as you can on the upside, then once you can't do that anymore go for ratings by tearing it down.

SEC, SEC, SEC!!! Any self-respecting SEC fan won't betray SC at this their greatest time of test. What SC is doing in the tourney should help Tennessee and all SEC teams to get a better look at next year's big dance invite. A vote for SC is a vote for self-interest.

Anybody know the fight song?

Ok. But why?

For me.
Good friend of mine going back to childhood played 4 years at SC.
Unfortunately he was on the team that got bounced by Coppin St in the first round as a 2 seed. He went on to play 12 years professionally but is still pissed about that one.

SEC, SEC, SEC!!! Any self-respecting SEC fan won't betray SC at this their greatest time of test. What SC is doing in the tourney should help Tennessee and all SEC teams to get a better look at next year's big dance invite. A vote for SC is a vote for self-interest.

Anybody know the fight song?

2001: A space odyssey. or that zombie tehcno dance music thingy they always play, that all the young kids seem to like.

I've always liked North Carolina as long as they're not playing us. Lived in the state twice in my life. Most of the ppl from there are nice. We used to steal all the best football players from the state. Hopefully that starts happening again

Reactions: 2 people
I have the Heels and Zags in the Finals and will pull for the underdog but think the Heels win it all.

Oregon (know a bunch of Oregon fans and they are a decent fan base)
Gonzaga
South Carolina (I didn't mind my 2 years in Columbia)
North Carolina (because a BBQ cost us our coach and they continue to not see anything)

I like South Carolina, because before the tournament, the media's general thinking was the SEC wasn't that good, and SC shouldn't even be there. I like Oregon fans and they are kind of the sister school of the VOLS,and Gonzaga has never been there.

So..

South Carolina
Oregon
Gonzanga

NC ... No.

I'm typically and underdog kind of fan, and you could consider three of these teams underdogs in some way.

South Carolina has never been this far in the NCAAT, but I can't pull for South Carolina. Plus, the whole Currie/Martin thing just makes it worse.

Oregon is another underdog, but those uniforms. And they're in the Pac-10. I just don't think I can pull for them.

This is also the furthest Gonzaga has ever been, but looking at their accomplishments, and their record this year, it's hard to truly consider them an underdog. I think traditionally the Zags are overhyped. Their strength of schedule is 78. Boo that.

That leaves me pulling for North Carolina by default. And it helps that I dislike Dook.

Who's your team?

Dook? Come on Freak you're not even a UNC fan. You don't need to spell it like that.

2001: A space odyssey. or that zombie tehcno dance music thingy they always play, that all the young kids seem to like.

Don't matter, I'll fake it.

Zaga is in rarified air as well and if both come out equally nervous on the big stage, I'll take the team that plays defense like their hairs on fire. I don't want to get any more scientific than that at this time, it's still early in the week.

And Martin isn't exactly fault free for his exit from KSU. There's plenty out there, just look. Currie didn't bring him back after talking to the players. That speaks volumes.

1. South Carolina
2. Gonzaga

Me too

I like a good underdog, and a SEC team other than UK winning would help elevate the conference profile. Which in hoops is important to getting more teams in the dance.

Gonzaga might be a 1 seed, but I think many will agree that they still feel like an underdog. From a mid-major conference, and just broke through after many good years. I also like Mark Few's dedication to the program, he could have easily left and made more money, but there are some things he clearly values more.

I don't really care much about UNC or Oregon. I'd pull for Oregon just because UNC has been there so much, and because they are cheaters who don't think they should be punished for academic fraud. Is the NCAA hoping people just forget?

Last edited:
My pick of the the remaining teams is Gonzaga. I would love to see one of the 272 DI teams that the NCAA stacks the deck against because they don't belong to one of the Power 6 basketball conferences slam dunk the mighty ruling body. Taking 8 teams from the ACC and short changing the SEC and close to 30 win regular season mid major champions is corruption at its finest.

I like South Carolina, because before the tournament, the media's general thinking was the SEC wasn't that good, and SC shouldn't even be there. I like Oregon fans and they are kind of the sister school of the VOLS,and Gonzaga has never been there.

So..

South Carolina
Oregon
Gonzanga

NC ... No.

My exact thoughts.

Who's your team?

Freak, I don't see how South Carolina continuing to win is making Currie look worse. From what I gather, Martin was going to leave K St bc his players wanted to transfer and were tired of playing for Martin in a volatile situation were they would get cussed out for missing free throws and things of that nature. Currie reached out to Martin to no avail, Players then decided to contact Currie and tell him what had been going on. When those meeting ended, Currie knew the players didn't want to play for Martin and those who threatened transfer actually decided to stay if Martin departed. Currie then decided not to match usce offer. So he was looking out for the kids when no one else was. I admire that. Looks like he was gone either way. But I'm happy for Martin and South Carolina, looks like that split actually helped Martin evolve in his relationship with his players.

VN Store

Back