Why the Longhorn Network doesn't work?

volberry

I still don't understand why the LHN is a failure. And how it ruined Texas Football. Can someone explain it to me? Why would espn get involved with this if it was going to be this bad?

I still don't understand why the LHN is a failure. And how it ruined Texas Football. Can someone explain it to me? Why would espn get involved with this if it was going to be this bad?

ESPN thought they could follow the design of the successful regional networks (NESN, YES, MSG) and make it work. They forgot that outside of football and men's BB, every other NCAA sport falls into the "niche" category. They thought folks would line up to see TU massacre a few low grade teams a year (they didn't...line up or massacre).

Basically ESPN outsmarted themselves

ESPN thought they could follow the design of the successful regional networks (NESN, YES, MSG) and make it work. They forgot that outside of football and men's BB, every other NCAA sport falls into the "niche" category. They thought folks would line up to see TU massacre a few low grade teams a year (they didn't...line up or massacre).

Basically ESPN outsmarted themselves

Yeah. Sounds like it. These folks are a mess. Funny how 1 miscalculation can shut down a department. because it's coming!!

actually it ruined the Big 12 as it once was (Nebraska, Colorado, TAM and Missouri left because of it)

Ironically, their programs have completely been mediocre since it's inception. Outside of Vince Young when has that program really been elite?

Ironically, their programs have completely been mediocre since it's inception. Outside of Vince Young when has that program really been elite?

They've just come off a 10-15 year stretch where they were winning 10 games a year.

actually it ruined the Big 12 as it once was (Nebraska, Colorado, TAM and Missouri left because of it)

TAMU left because of it and Missouri left because of the conference instability caused by it.

Colorado and Nebraska left before those two, mostly due to the Big 12's then-unequal revenue sharing model (it was previously a weird model, involving both certain/larger programs receiving larger shares of yearly conference/tv contract revenue, along with schools' revenue shares also depending on how well their teams performed that year).

Last edited:

Really only 2 distinct elite eras in their program; with Darrell Royal in the late 60s to mid 70s and then with Mack Brown in the 2000s.

The thing to remember about Texas is that they are a big time program not because they are the most storied program (far from it) but because they have so much money and is located in a good-sized, very fast growing, trendy city.

to the LHN, its what other people said. Demand. For the revenue sports the vast majority of games are already carried by someone.

is a whole network worth it for 1 maybe 2 extra FB games a year (especially considering the non televised games are probably the worst games) and 5-6 BB games with the same issue of them being the "bad" games?

And the deal with ESPN probably started being formed before most conferences had their own network so the market would accept a single school network better back then than it does now.

Up and down. I think Texas has won 4 national championships since 1963. Played for three more in 1977, 1983, and 2009. Nothing to sneeze at.

to the LHN, its what other people said. Demand. For the revenue sports the vast majority of games are already carried by someone.

is a whole network worth it for 1 maybe 2 extra FB games a year (especially considering the non televised games are probably the worst games) and 5-6 BB games with the same issue of them being the "bad" games?

And the deal with ESPN probably started being formed before most conferences had their own network so the market would accept a single school network better back then than it does now.

Bad business. They miscalculated horribly! Lol.

Texas got what they deserved. All the other conferences have networks but not the B12. That's why you don't bring Texas into your conference

Hubris. Money and power struggles are killing Texas sports.

That and even die-hard Texas fans can only watch so many replays of the 2005 National Championship game.

VN Store

Back