Cal on Grad Transfers - Bad for the "Kids"

95 Vol Alum

Go Big Vols!
“Playing right away (as a graduate transfer), I don’t think it’s good for the kids,” Calipari said Saturday. “Many of them leave the school, don’t even tell the coach. They text him and say, ‘I’m going.’ What? How about teaching them to be a man. If you want to sit down with the coach and say, ‘I’m thinking about doing this, what do you think?’ Well, let’s talk through this.

One and done is fine. Completing your degree in 3 years and leaving to play elsewhere, possibly for a championship, is not good for the kids.

He states that coaches are holding back kids academically - anyone know of someone that's been done to? Aren't coaches bad for the kids for doing that, then, and not the players?

Such a racket.

http://sports.usatoday.com/2017/03/25/john-calipari-no-fan-of-graduate-transfers/

Reactions: 4 people
He has a point with the part about coaches holding kids back being dirty as hell. It's a definite issue for smaller schools, but cry me a river. If a kid manages to graduate, he deserves to have the option.

Reactions: 2 people
Calipari has no moral authority to complain about how student athletes plan their careers. He takes advantage of the most important rule in the game these days to field what is basically a minor league NBA team. God bless for the never ending stream of top tier talent. But don't lecture kids or other coaches about how they run their programs or careers.

Reactions: 7 people
He has a point, but you have to live with it.

Maybe the rule should be you can transfer after 75 hours if you are getting less than 10 mpg?

He has a point, but you have to live with it.

Maybe the rule should be you can transfer after 75 hours if you are getting less than 10 mpg?

What's his point again? In my mind, he's just protecting his coaching brethren and crying about players having a personal choice.

A person who has graduated has no obligation to stay at the University, for athletics or otherwise.

A coach who holds a player back academically just so he can get 4 years of the player is scum and should be publicly humiliated.

Let's not forget that coaches leave players they "committed" to for more money all the time.

Reactions: 1 person
I think he's saying if you can graduate in 3 years and transfer, you're gonna have coaches and programs who discourage early graduation.

Calipari has no moral authority to complain about how student athletes plan their careers. He takes advantage of the most important rule in the game these days to field what is basically a minor league NBA team. God bless for the never ending stream of top tier talent. But don't lecture kids or other coaches about how they run their programs or careers.

It's almost like you didn't even read the OP and instead just spat out a generic, rehearsed anti-Cal diatribe.

Cal is addressing two issues here. One, how grad transfers don't have to sit out, unlike regular transfers. In some cases like he has said, kids have ditched a school to play one year at a big school with no restrictions. But second, and a bigger issue, is how some schools restrict a players academic path so they can't graduate early. That is wrong, and kids should be able to do what they want. But I'm not convinced kids, even when they graduate early should be able to go completely unrestricted. Cal has a understandable point.

Cal has no credibility in my book. What he does flies in the face of what college athletics is supposed to be about. Play here and we'll provide you with a free education. He brings in guys knowing full well that they have no intention of pursuing a degree.

Cal has no credibility in my book. What he does flies in the face of what college athletics is supposed to be about. Play here and we'll provide you with a free education. He brings in guys knowing full well that they have no intention of pursuing a degree.

Somehow Cal is to be blamed for recruiting the best players who rightfully need to leave? Every single coach in the country would have wanted the same players.

I think he's saying if you can graduate in 3 years and transfer, you're gonna have coaches and programs who discourage early graduation.
I don't doubt that it happens, but it blows my mind that they'd even consider tilting the rules away from the players to protect coaches.

Somehow Cal is to be blamed for recruiting the best players who rightfully need to leave? Every single coach in the country would have wanted the same players.

People just don't like it because he makes no pretense about players being actual students and exploits one and done.

On the not good for the kids scale, his one and done (barely go to class) model is far worse than graduate then transfer.

Reactions: 5 people
Not sure why some reporter bothered to ask Calipari of all people, that question

my point. Has Calipari had a problem with some of his players graduating and transferring? His best players are usually there for a year! Or maybe he's talking about grad transfers TO kentucky? But I wouldn't think that he'd need them, maybe....Calipari is not someone you expect to hear talking about academic issues given how many of his players are only in college for a short time

Cal recruits the best players in the country and are invariably gone within a year or two. Unless you are Duke, Carolina or one of the other blue bloods you can only counter with experienced players. That being the case I'm not surprised at all to hear him come out against grad transfers. It's not unlike Saban bit****** about tempo offenses a few years ago.

People just don't like it because he makes no pretense about players being actual students and exploits one and done.

He recruits the best, and any sane coach isn't refusing five stars because they might leave. They go to class, do what they need to, and go get their millions. I don't see an issue there. Just a bunch of old farts complaining about how one and done is ruining basketball. Tell the NCAA/NBA to get their act together and change the rules, cause Cal isn't the cause. Just an effect from it.

As for the grad transfer issue...again, he isn't saying they shouldn't be allowed. People see the headlines and start ranting ignorantly because they can't be bothered to read for two minutes.

Shoot, I wish I'd had it together enough to graduate in three years.

I'm guessing that to do this, you actually need to go to class. Unlike the *cough* one and done players *cough*.

Memo to Cal: at least pretend that they're there for an education as well as tryouts for the NBA.

Memo to NCAA/NBA: make them play two years, so that they semi-kinda have the equivalent of an associate's degree, or wait two years after their high school graduating class.

Last edited:
As for the grad transfer issue...again, he isn't saying they shouldn't be allowed. People see the headlines and start ranting ignorantly because they can't be bothered to read for two minutes.

Actually, it is easy to infer that is exactly what he means when he says it is "bad for the kids". You can choose to infer differently, but I would tend to think that most people would want to disallow something that was bad for the kids. Therefore, a reasonable inference is that he is against allowing it.

He is right in the instances where a coach may attempt to limit a player's academic load to keep them from graduating with remaining eligibility.

Just as others should not jump on Cal just because he's Cal, you should not blindly defend him because he is your coach.

Tell the NCAA/NBA to get their act together and change the rules, cause Cal isn't the cause. Just an effect from it.

It's really just the NBA, right? Either let them come in right after high school or make them wait multiple years like in football. This in-between position they have where they make them wait just one year is entirely responsible for one-and-done.

The NBA has no incentive to try and make college basketball better, so it likely won't change.

Cal is a very dislikeable figure, but you are totally right that he simply operates in an environment someone else created and he has nothing to do with.

Cal is not the person to speak in this. The majority of his players are in college no more than 1-2 years and don't graduate.

And most would have done better in the postseason than Cal has.

College basketball has become so diluted that he'll win another one eventually. He has the most talent and sometimes that alone is enough.

I miss the days of CB when people stayed 3-4 years and you grew to hate certain players and watched teams grow. The majority of fans don't know anything about these one and done kids

VN Store

Back