Bill Self pulls annual choke job

wmcovol

Granted I wish Tennessee had his choking ass as a coach but he does pull this almost every yr. only time he's won it all was when Cal choked to him.

I'm sure they'll get to it right after they're through with the UNC case.....

Damn you changed the thread entirely?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I agree. Two final fours in 14 years is laughable with all the talent he has had. And if Kendall Marshall wasn't hurt for the 2012 regional final, he would likely only have one final four appearance.

Bill Self is just an average coach who recruits very well but I agree, he should have won more National Championships given all the talent he's had at Kansas.

He should have more F4 appearances, but to say he should have more titles ignores how hard it is to do, IMO.

Coach K has had so much talent in the last 15 years and just has 2 titles in that span...and he is the best coach of my lifetime. Roy Williams has 2 in like 30 years of enjoying this kind of talent...should we really expect Self to do 2 in 14?

Btw, this sucks cause my boy from college is a huge KU fan and he was gonna stay with me and go to the F4. He's probably so depressed.

Oregon played an incredible game. Self is still one of the top 3 coaches in America and has won the Big 12 7812346932 years in a row.

Dean Smith, one of the greatest coaches ever coached at UNC for 36 years and won 2 NCAA titles. Bobby Bowden coached at FSU for 33 years and won 2 titles. It's not easy to win NCAA titles unless it's the current state of women's basketball. Honestly, Saban should probably have 2 more than he does and Coach K should have 3 or 4more '86, '94 '99 and '04, hell Ole Huckleberry in Chapel Hill should probably have 2 or 3 more. If you want to talk about choke jobs at Kansas you could definitely look at Roy Williams during his time there. They were always outstanding and loaded with talent and would inexplicably lose to a team in the tournament that they had no business losing to.

Oregon played an incredible game. Self is still one of the top 3 coaches in America and has won the Big 12 7812346932 years in a row.

Fact. 68 teams enter a tournament every year and he has won it twice. That's pretty good when you do the math. that's about 950 teams combined and to win twice like less than 1% odds.

Dean Smith, one of the greatest coaches ever coached at UNC for 36 years and won 2 NCAA titles. Bobby Bowden coached at FSU for 33 years and won 2 titles. It's not easy to win NCAA titles unless it's the current state of women's basketball. Honestly, Saban should probably have 2 more than he does and Coach K should have 3 or 4more '86, '94 '99 and '04, hell Ole Huckleberry in Chapel Hill should probably have 2 or 3 more. If you want to talk about choke jobs at Kansas you could definitely look at Roy Williams during his time there. They were always outstanding and loaded with talent and would inexplicably lose to a team in the tournament that they had no business losing to.

The KU team with Paul Pierce, J Vaughn, Pollard, and Lafrentz....best group to not win a title? They were all together 2 years

The KU team with Paul Pierce, J Vaughn, Pollard, and Lafrentz....best group to not win a title? They were all together 2 years

Certainly in the discussion. The fab five certainly deserves mention. The early '90s Indiana squads with Chaney, Henderson, Bailey, and Greg Graham were great. The mid-90s Uconn teams with Ray Allen, Travis Knight, Donyell Marshall, and Kevin Ollie were fantastic. As we're the Kansas group of Gooden, Hinrich, Collison, and Boschee.

Certainly in the discussion. The fab five certainly deserves mention. The early '90s Indiana squads with Chaney, Henderson, Bailey, and Greg Graham were great. The mid-90s Uconn teams with Ray Allen, Travis Knight, Donyell Marshall, and Kevin Ollie were fantastic. As we're the Kansas group of Gooden, Hinrich, Collison, and Boschee.

That squad is definitely in the discussion with Houston '83, UNC '84, Vegas '91, UK '97, Duke '99.

Are there coaches at any of the big time schools that overachieve? It seems like none of these guys have as many titles as you think they "should" have.

Before you say Izzo, keep in mind he's won only a single national title and it was 17 years ago. Coach K has won 5 titles but even he gets hit when the underachiever label whenever Duke gets bounced early, which has happened with a pretty good amount of frequency over the last 10 years.

Maybe it is just time we re-calibrate what we expect from coaches and programs, even the blue bloods. I do think it is fair to think that with Self's dominance in the regular season and numerous #1 seeds, he "should" have 2 or maybe even 3 titles instead of just one, but to complain about it just comes off as being a spoiled rich kid who is upset they got a Porsche instead of a Ferrari for their birthday. And they got a Ferrari already 5 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Not every coach can be Saban.

I think Bill Self is a heck of a coach. Oregon just played an unbelievable game. I don't think anyone could have beat them on that particular night.

Not every coach can be Saban.

I think Bill Self is a heck of a coach. Oregon just played an unbelievable game. I don't think anyone could have beat them on that particular night.

I think he is too. He blends the one-and-done and guys who stick around for multiple years really well.

Jim Boeheim, Jerry Tarkanian, Lute Olson and John Calipari only have 1 title.

They suck.

Boeheim I actually think is overrated. The other big name coaches, not so much.

I think you could pick on guys like Scott Drew or Mark Turgeon in that they could have great teams but are just "pretty good." You always hear about Baylor being "long" and "athletic" and primed to make deep tournament runs but they don't do it consistently.

Boeheim I actually think is overrated. The other big name coaches, not so much.

I think you could pick on guys like Scott Drew or Mark Turgeon in that they could have great teams but are just "pretty good." You always hear about Baylor being "long" and "athletic" and primed to make deep tournament runs but they don't do it consistently.

Boheim has been to 3 national title games and won one of them. He's won the second most games in history. He's pretty freaking good.

Boheim has been to 3 national title games and won one of them. He's won the second most games in history. He's pretty freaking good.

I think he was trying to say that Boheim's best years at Syracuse are behind him.

VN Store

Back