Michael Porter Jr. To Missouri?

Two words, Wade Houston.

Martin is a mediocre coach. He had elite talent. One article said Cal was the closest thing in college to an NBA team. He had a lottery pick while at Cal, and one of this year's team is projected as a lottery pick. Didn't exactly translate.

Cal is a better job and better basketball conference, but Mizzou got stupid. He'll recruit well because he has hired strong recruiters who aren't afraid to push the envelope. Something he didn't have or do while at UT. I listened to his interview yesterday and it's the same ole mush mouth nonsense.

I'd imagine pops has invested quite a bit of money in his kid. You have a problem with getting a return on your investments?

Danny Manning's pops didn't when he attended KU.

Do you "invest" in your kids for your benefit or theirs?

Two words, Wade Houston.

Martin is a mediocre coach. He had elite talent. One article said Cal was the closest thing in college to an NBA team. He had a lottery pick while at Cal, and one of this year's team is projected as a lottery pick. Didn't exactly translate.

Cal is a better job and better basketball conference, but Mizzou got stupid. He'll recruit well because he has hired strong recruiters who aren't afraid to push the envelope. Something he didn't have or do while at UT. I listened to his interview yesterday and it's the same ole mush mouth nonsense.

I actually think its tougher to recruit to Cal-Berkeley due to admission standards. I think MU is the better job. SEC is a better conference as well

Cuonzo had a foot out the door at Cal this season, but who could blame him? I wouldn't want to coach at Berkeley: they had some..."unrest" there earlier this year.

For using his son to get a job
You realize Porter Sr. had worked for the Mizzou women's program for 6 years before taking the job at Washington with one of his best friends. He is a known commodity in Columbia apparently. Even if that wasn't the case, I would still have no problem with him Coach Martin for offering or Coach Porter accepting.

Reactions: 1 person
Do you "invest" in your kids for your benefit or theirs?

I "raised" my kids for their benefit. They were never going to be elite athletes to begin with, so I didn't need to invest a lot of any extra capita on that.

Pops also has history at Mizzou. Nothing to be ashamed of at all. imo

I actually think its tougher to recruit to Cal-Berkeley due to admission standards. I think MU is the better job. SEC is a better conference as well

Cuonzo had a foot out the door at Cal this season, but who could blame him? I wouldn't want to coach at Berkeley: they had some..."unrest" there earlier this year.
Blame him?
Only shows his program hopping may have More to do with him than we thought.

I'll preface by saying I don't think Cuonzo is a great coach by any means. We are in a much better place with Barnes for sure. But I really don't understand the levels of animosity some of you show toward Cuonzo? You fans that wanted him gone got your wish. He wasn't happy here at the end of his tenure for the litany of reasons that have been posted here before. So he took another job. Seems like a win/win and everyone should be happy.

Reactions: 3 people
Not only will he get 1 Porter son, he will land all three. There is nothing wrong with this. This kind of thing happens quite a bit. For example, when Delonte Hill was hired at K-State because he was bringing Michael Beasley with him where ever he landed. It appears greasy, but its not illegal. If Porter is as good as billed, he will make Mizzou a lot better.

Mizzou is a much better basketball program than Cal. Deeper history. Many on here don't remember Norm Stewart, but he was a heck of a basketball coach for over 30 years at Mizzou. Although he didn't get to the Final Four, he had some great teams and put a lot of guys in the NBA.

I just thought of something. I'm all for what's best for the kid. I remember Cuonzo REFUSED to recruit kids committed to other schools. Seems interesting of this scenario now that Cuonzo is elsewhere. I loved his high character. But that decision irritated me. So does hiring Porter Sr seem like a shady loophole to Cuonzos recruiting values? Thoughts?

I just thought of something. I'm all for what's best for the kid. I remember Cuonzo REFUSED to recruit kids committed to other schools. Seems interesting of this scenario now that Cuonzo is elsewhere. I loved his high character. But that decision irritated me. So does hiring Porter Sr seem like a shady loophole to Cuonzos recruiting values? Thoughts?

Good point. I believe that Porter Jr. was committed to Lorenzo Romar. UW fired Romar on March 15th and this afternoon released him from his LOI.

The only reason Washington was in on the Porters was Romar. His dad flat out said that after he committed. Once Romar was gone so was Micheal. I think UW announced that they would release their whole class if they wanted to be.

1 player isnt going to win Missouri an SEC title and he will be there for 1 season -- Martin needs 4 more one and dones to compete with Kentucky

Just as a side note, Porter Jr. is damn good. He's going to be fun to watch. I'm actually glad he's in the SEC and we can see him more often

VN Store

Back