Too many college basketball teams in tourneys

TennFan

There are currently 3 college basketball tournaments for men's basketball: NCAA (68), NIT (32) and college insider (16 or 32). I can remember when the NCAA had only 32 and the NIT had 16.
The women have only the NCAA as far as I know. We don't see an NIT for them but there might be.
In my opinion, the NCAA should go back to 32 (top teams in smaller conferences unless there is a different winner from conference and tournament and top 2 from larger conferences). The next group then goes to the NIT. NO insider tournament.
Thoughts!

Also make the college football playoff with top 6 or 8 teams and cut regular season to 11 games in lieu of 12. Teams would play one less non-conference team.

Last edited:
There is still a Women's NIT. In fact, it features more teams than the Men's NIT. There is also a Women's Basketball Invitational, run by the same folks that run the CBI.

Reactions: 1 person
There are 351 eligible for the NCAAT. I don't see a problem with about a third of those playing beyond their conference tournament. Some want to play. Some want to broadcast. Some want to watch.

It's like bowl games, everyone gets to participate

Eh, they get to play in tournaments nobody really cares about. To me, it's good for more experience for young guys and perhaps trying to get a few more wins (especially if you're about to graduate and leave school)

I don't care about those tourneys If TN isn't playing in them, so I don't even watch

Basketball actually makes more sense to have more postseason options since Division 1 in basketball isn't split into 2 divisions like football, so there are way more teams.

Secondly, the CBI and CIT are primarily mid-major teams, in fact the CIT is specifically mid-majors, and the majority of the teams that play in both of those come from 1 bid conferences, which in turn they get maybe 1 auto bid to the NIT. So that leaves a ton of teams with winning records with no postseason. I don't see the harm in having tournaments that cater to them, and if they and their fans enjoy it and it makes enough money to sustain itself, then so be it.

I really don't get why people get so bent out of shade about this stuff. I get the whole "participation trophy" aspect and I agree things like making a bowl isn't a big deal anymore, but this is capitalism. If there is a market and it makes money, then why do you care? Nobody is forcing you to watch or attend the games.

And as bamawriter said, yes, the women have the WNIT and WBI.

Like KCM said above it's going to expand before it gets smaller. I don't have a problem with all the smaller tourneys like the CBI and NIT. Gives fans who WANT to watch even more hoops the chance plus it's more practice time for the players toward next season. Most of these schools hardly get on national tv so it's good expouser for them also...don't like it, don't watch it.

As long as you have a winning record, it DOES irritate me when .500 teams or losing records play in bowl games!

Thought you were gone.

But nice to see you becoming more like SD.

Big difference.

I want UT to win, and realize they're not going to with a washed up coach. Too many "fans" in the BB have accepted mediocrity.

SD is not a UT fan.

If You can't see the difference, then that says more about you.

Big difference.

I want UT to win, and realize they're not going to with a washed up coach. Too many "fans" in the BB have accepted mediocrity.

SD is not a UT fan.

If You can't see the difference, then that says more about you.

You make smart ass, snide remarks about the team that bashes them. That's beyond being mad about the situation, that's appearing almost giddy that they aren't doing well all so you can pat yourself on the back about how you were right about Barnes.

THAT says the most about you.

You make smart ass, snide remarks about the team that bashes them. That's beyond being mad about the situation, that's appearing almost giddy that they aren't doing well all so you can pat yourself on the back about how you were right about Barnes.

THAT says the most about you.

Barnes isnt the University of Tennessee. It's ok to criticize him. It's hard for some to understand that,

is the CBI even on TV ? I didnt even see who is playing it it -- ESPN has nothing about it

Only the Championship Series is televised nationally, and it's on ESPNU.

The CIT semi-finals and final are on CBSSN.

I've never understood why people complain about this? 1) why do you care 2) if you don't want to watch it, then don't watch it

I've never understood why people complain about this? 1) why do you care 2) if you don't want to watch it, then don't watch it

I laugh every single time. It's like going to a bar and complaining because there are too many beer choices.

Reactions: 2 people
with #16 never beating #1, that proves there are too many teams in the tourney

Given that the 16 seeds are reserved for the weakest conference champs, that would suggest that those conferences should no longer have auto bids. If the tournament were completely at-large, I'm willing to bet that we'd have seen a 16 beat a 1 by now. But, that would also kill some of the fun cinderella stories that make March Madness awesome.

VN Store

Back