Will Wade to LSU

Fingers

VCU head coach Will Wade has agreed to a six-year deal to become the next coach at LSU, sources told ESPN.

Wade, 34, was the head coach of the Rams for two seasons, taking over when Shaka Smart left for Texas in 2015.

VCU is 51-20 under Wade, making back-to-back NCAA tournament appearances.

Wade was also the head coach at Chattanooga for two seasons, going 40-25 overall and 27-7 in the Southern Conference.

Wade began his coaching career at Clemson as a graduate assistant and director of basketball operations from 2005 to '07, before spending time as an assistant coach at Harvard and VCU.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...de-agrees-six-year-deal-become-next-coach-lsu

Reactions: 2 people
Hope this hire doesn't cut into Scott Drew's Louisiana recruiting.

Kind of a dickish move by Wade to leave VCU after two seasons. VCU is a basketball school, LSU is a football school. But he probably doubled his salary at LSU. Seems like a good, young coach, but I hate to see guys just blatantly chasing money. Maybe we'd all do the same--not sure. I would not be comfortable stiffing a school that just hired me.

Kind of a dickish move by Wade to leave VCU after two seasons. VCU is a basketball school, LSU is a football school. But he probably doubled his salary at LSU. Seems like a good, young coach, but I hate to see guys just blatantly chasing money. Maybe we'd all do the same--not sure. I would not be comfortable stiffing a school that just hired me.

He's just climbing the ladder. LSU is a stepping-stone job itself.

Reactions: 1 person
Lots of talent in that state.

birth2hypemap2.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

Not a dickish move at all. LSU is a better, more prominent job, so Wade took it.....better for his career, better for his family. VCU surely understands the deal, they're a mid-major stepping stone type program. They got 2 years from a very good up and coming coach, doubt they expected much if anything more.

Not a dickish move at all. LSU is a better, more prominent job, so Wade took it.....better for his career, better for his family. VCU surely understands the deal, they're a mid-major stepping stone type program. They got 2 years from a very good up and coming coach, doubt they expected much if anything more.

Maybe just posturing, but their AD did seem a little salty at him leaving:

In a statement released Tuesday, VCU athletic director Ed McLaughlin said that during his annual end-of-the-season meeting with Wade: "Will and I agreed on the necessary next steps, and we met all of Will's requests. He ultimately decided he would rather coach elsewhere.''

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18963241/vcu-head-coach-wade-agrees-six-year-deal-become-next-coach-lsu

VN Store

Back