UNC, DUKE and the REFS

ITSGR82BATNVOL

MARCH MADNESS - Best two weeks in sports!
We all know UNC and DUKE get favorable calls, and have for years, probably always will, but tonight was an absolute joke and disgrace. Arkansas absolutely got robbed and their HC should call out the refs no matter the fine. Despite having to beat 8 people USC got the job done against the cry babies and their care takers. Coaches need to start taking up for their teams, call out these cheats publicly, and expose these cheats for what they are. PATHETIC!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
We all know UNC and DUKE get favorable calls, and have for years, probably always will, but tonight was an absolute joke and disgrace. Arkansas absolutely got robbed and their HC should call out the refs no matter the fine. Despite having to beat 8 people USC got the job done against the cry babies and their care takers. Coaches need to start taking up for their teams, call out these cheats publicly, and expose these cheats for what they are. PATHETIC!!!

You sound like Big 10 fans talking about the SEC in football.

Reactions: 1 person
If you don't agree the refs blatantly cheat for them, you're obviously a fan of one or the other. Enough said.

Well Duke just lost, and the end of the game didn't even come down until the last second, so whatever blatant cheating went on didn't do the trick.

Arkansas didn't score a point in the last 3:31 of the game. Kingsley missed 2 free throws were huge. Was that because the refs cheated?

Reactions: 4 people
Sure, Arkansas had an opportunity to overcome it, but that doesn't excuse bad officiating. After watching the replays I'm less convinced on the charge. Looked like Berry may have been swatted in the face first.
They still ended up with 2 points on that possession which was the best outcome for them. However the tipped 3 pointer definitely was off UNC. And it makes it worse that it's a reviewable play and they still didn't get it.

arkansas-tip-ball.jpg

who's whining? Arkansas' coach was not

Sure, Arkansas had an opportunity to overcome it, but that doesn't excuse bad officiating. After watching the replays I'm less convinced on the charge. Looked like Berry may have been swatted in the face first.
They still ended up with 2 points on that possession which was the best outcome for them. However the tipped 3 pointer definitely was off UNC. And it makes it worse that it's a reviewable play and they still didn't get it.

arkansas-tip-ball.jpg

Yes, I agree that the tipped 3 should been called; there were a couple of good camera angles that caught this one.

The Berry no-call could have gone about 4 different ways - a no-call, a charge, a travel, or a defensive foul. It isn't an open and shut horrible call like the OP suggested

I have a bigger complaint about the awful seeding of teams more than the officiating.

Totally agree. Also I find it interesting that a blue blood like Kentucky was negatively impacted by Wichita St's underseeding. It is absolutely insane those 2 teams met in a second round game.

Nothing more predictable than people complaining about basketball officiating. It's, bar none, the hardest sport to officiate and the sport where your viewpoint clouds your judgement the most on bang bang judgement calls.

Yes, I agree that the tipped 3 should been called; there were a couple of good camera angles that caught this one.

The Berry no-call could have gone about 4 different ways - a no-call, a charge, a travel, or a defensive foul. It isn't an open and shut horrible call like the OP suggested
I think it's obviously a foul or a travel. The no-call was horrendous. After watching the replay(from under the basket), Berry threw a pretty good forearm to move the defender at the end of contact.

You can argue offensive or defensive foul, but if not a foul, he took multiple steps.

Totally agree. Also I find it interesting that a blue blood like Kentucky was negatively impacted by Wichita St's underseeding. It is absolutely insane those 2 teams met in a second round game.

I've not seen anyone admit it but I am convinced that they do minor seeding adjustments so that certain matchups can exist.

Last year I think they switched texas a&m and kentucky's seeding so that a&m could play texas and ky would play indiana which has history and a dispute about playing regular season now.

This year they wanted a rematch of wichita st and kentucky and are in the same bracket as ucla and north carolina.

There are probably examples with other teams too. It's about ratings.

I've not seen anyone admit it but I am convinced that they do minor seeding adjustments so that certain matchups can exist.

It would be next to impossible to prove, save someone on the committee leaking discussions, but there is no doubt in my mind that kind of stuff goes on.

The funny thing is that if a seeding adjustment were made so that a certain matchup can exist, you think they would want them to occur later in the tournament, at least from the Sweet 16 onward.

Last year I think they switched texas a&m and kentucky's seeding so that a&m could play texas and ky would play indiana which has history and a dispute about playing regular season now.

This year they wanted a rematch of wichita st and kentucky and are in the same bracket as ucla and north carolina.

There are probably examples with other teams too. It's about ratings.

Now that the FBI has found Brady's jersey maybe they can look into this ASAP!

Nothing more predictable than people complaining about basketball officiating. It's, bar none, the hardest sport to officiate and the sport where your viewpoint clouds your judgement the most on bang bang judgement calls.

But for some reason teams that wear blue uniforms get most of the 50/50 calls when their games are on the line.

Charge / block ..........never any consistency.

The tipped ball by the NC player was an EASY call for the refs to make that night. They had the benefit of a TV review. The perfect viewpoint. Slow motion and everything. Only 2 explanations, the refs are truly blind or they cheated. By the way, I could care less who won the game, I hate both teams

Thats true.

But K's players during the SC game get rung up for some of their reactions to calls during the SC game if they don't have a Duke jersey on and he's not on the sideline.

I know most don't want to hear it but while the "Cinderella" is a draw early, at the end of the day they want the blue bloods to be standing the last weekend.

I know most don't want to hear it but while the "Cinderella" is a draw early, at the end of the day they want the blue bloods to be standing the last weekend.

Why wouldn't they? It's a business. I'm sure CBS is pissed that Duke and Nova are out. Doesn't mean that referees actively cheat for them or programs like them.

Its a business.

It is a business, but how would that affect the business if they began openly and obviously cheating for the big name teams? Would that not hurt the business among anybody who wasn't a fan of a big name team, the fans of which are in far greater numbers?

It is in their financial interest to have at least some measure of objectivity.

VN Store

Back