CSU Bakersfield 44 California 19

Quick someone start a petition for the second half!

LOL! Even the Cuonzo apologists have to acknowledge that he does not even try to motivate his teams for the NIT. He just flat out sucks balls in this tournament. I was at the MTSU game in 2012... and then you had Mercer in 2013. Embarrassing!

quotes from Cal board
Gonzo Martin
Goodnight all and goodbye Cuonzo. Thanks for all the hope and the kicks in the balls.
This all by confirms Cuonzo is NOT a basketball coach worth ever keeping at Cal. Nice guy - TERRIBLE coach

Apparently Rabb is out because of a "foot injury" but most of their fans thinks he just wanted to start getting ready for NBA

Bill Koch‏*@BillKoch25
If he is in fact on the short list to be the next coach at Illinois or Missouri, this isn't exactly the best look for Cuonzo Martin. #NIT

Cal made a run but lost 73-66....be interesting to see if Missouri or Illinois hires him after losing as a 1 seed in the first round of the NIT..they also were upset in the first round of the NCAA last year by Hawaii

Cal made a run but lost 73-66....be interesting to see if Missouri or Illinois hires him after losing as a 1 seed in the first round of the NIT..they also were upset in the first round of the NCAA last year by Hawaii

I don't think Illinois will be that stupid with the hire this time -- Groce was pretty bad -

He can come back to Missouri State any time he wants! Long shot hope is that he is at Cal one more year and then gets fired and we will finally have an opening again.

Hey, a guy can dream!

Reactions: 1 person
Cuonzos problem is his pouting and poor poor me attitude about being left out of the tournament always trickles down to his players. Its his own fault, he schedules a soft OOC schedule and hopes the conference carries him. They guy is a terrible coach and terrible motivator.

Cuonzos problem is his pouting and poor poor me attitude about being left out of the tournament always trickles down to his players. Its his own fault, he schedules a soft OOC schedule and hopes the conference carries him. They guy is a terrible coach and terrible motivator.

Terrible coach is a bit extreme IMO. Not terrible. Not great or even very good. Just a middling coach that recruits pretty well and does very little with what he signs.

Reactions: 2 people
Terrible coach is a bit extreme IMO. Not terrible. Not great or even very good. Just a middling coach that recruits pretty well and does very little with what he signs.

Isn't this the definition of terrible coach? Not arguing with you thunder but Cuonzo did less with more vs good coaches who do more with less.

Isn't this the definition of terrible coach? Not arguing with you thunder but Cuonzo did less with more vs good coaches who do more with less.

They off set. A terrible coach can't recruit or develop players or X and O. Cuonzo still gets his teams to the post season which puts them into about the 70th-80th percentile of all 350+ schools. He's a middle of the road, maybe even slightly above average, coach IMO. To me an Illinois or Cal is about the right fit for him. He wasn't ready for the jump from Missouri Directional to TN and the SEC about 6 years ago.

Motivation wasn't really his problem. Our guys at UT played hard for him. His problem is his offense. His players at UT didn't understand the weaknesses in a zone, and he must preach defense so much that his teams fail at scoring the ball.

Motivation wasn't really his problem. Our guys at UT played hard for him. His problem is his offense. His players at UT didn't understand the weaknesses in a zone, and he must preach defense so much that his teams fail at scoring the ball.

Indeed. There were back to back games early in the 2012-13 season when we lost to Georgetown 37-36 and Virginia 46-38.

Martin didn't care about this game. It wasn't an audition. He knew he was leaving.

Good coaches normally lose early in the NIT

Martin didn't care about this game. It wasn't an audition. He knew he was leaving.

Good coaches normally lose early in the NIT

I hope things work out well with Mizzou and Cuonzo but I'm here to tell you don't get your hopes up. You will get excited about recruiting but then be absolutely dumbfounded by the product on the court. He will schedule a soft OOC slate and rely heavily on the conference to carry him to the tournament. When he get's left out of the tournament for lack of strength of schedule he will then cry to the media and his buddy Myron Medcalf will scream racism when you start to question Cuonzo's coaching abilities. And also consider this you've hired a guy with a sh!tty resume which I will post below and you're paying him more than Roy Williams makes at UNC.

Here's your resume....

You've coached 9 years.

You've been to 2 NCAA Tournaments.

You've won 2 NCAA Tourney Games in 9 seasons (plus a play in win).

You've coached teams with several pros with little success.

You've underachieved at every spot you've been.

You've continued to keep yourself in demand by staying ahead of the ax.

You're name is Cuonzo Martin. Life is good.

Seriously, he's making more than Jay Wright

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I hope things work out well with Mizzou and Cuonzo but I'm here to tell you don't get your hopes up. You will get excited about recruiting but then be absolutely dumbfounded by the product on the court. He will schedule a soft OOC slate and rely heavily on the conference to carry him to the tournament. When he get's left out of the tournament for lack of strength of schedule he will then cry to the media and his buddy Myron Medcalf will scream racism when you start to question Cuonzo's coaching abilities. And also consider this you've hired a guy with a sh!tty resume which I will post below and you're paying him more than Roy Williams makes at UNC.

Here's your resume....

You've coached 9 years.

You've been to 2 NCAA Tournaments.

You've won 2 NCAA Tourney Games in 9 seasons (plus a play in win).

You've coached teams with several pros with little success.

You've underachieved at every spot you've been.

You've continued to keep yourself in demand by staying ahead of the ax.

You're name is Cuonzo Martin. Life is good.

Seriously, he's making more than Jay Wright

Martin coached his first 3 years at Missouri State. Went 26-9 and still missed the tournament

I think 6 years 2 tourneys is a better description of his resume.

If we get the Porters, Tilmon and hold into Barnett we should more than double our win total.

Martin coached his first 3 years at Missouri State. Went 26-9 and still missed the tournament

If we get the Porters, Tilmon and hold into Barnett we should more than double our win total.

Good luck again I think you're going to be very taken back just how mediocre he is even with stellar talent.

Whatever you need to tell yourself. We used similar rationale to get used to the NIT again. :pinch:

VN Store

Back