Johnny Jones out at Lsu

Buzz Williams should be the first choice, don't know that he'd take it, but he should definitely be at the top of the list.

Reactions: 1 person
College basketball coaching is just like college football coaching. There are a few really good coaches at the top of the heap, then there just everyone else. No depth.

College basketball coaching is just like college football coaching. There are a few really good coaches at the top of the heap, then there just everyone else. No depth.

Part of that, just like football, is that no one gets a chance anymore to build a program. It's 3 years or you're gone. To me it's a major flaw in college sports today .

Reactions: 2 people
Part of that, just like football, is that no one gets a chance anymore to build a program. It's 3 years or you're gone. To me it's a major flaw in college sports today .

I agree, but to be honest if a coach hasn't seen big improvement by the end of year 3, it probably isn't going to happen.

If you take a look at past and present top coaches - I pulled up Coach K, Bill Self, Roy Williams, Calipari, Jim Calhoun, John Thompson, Boeheim - they had their programs "up and running" by year 3 with the exception of Coach K. That's not necessarily winning titles by year 3, but they were competitive by that time.

It actually took Coach K 4 years at Duke to even make the tourney, and you are right, if that happened today a coach in a similar situation to the one he was in would be run off after 3, probably even 2 years of that.

If the climate today was like the climate in Bear Bryant's time, Bryant would have been run off at some point during the 1967-1970. It is easy to look back on legendary coaches today and assume they fielded title-contending teams every single year, but they simply did not. Many, if not all of them experienced lulls in the program that probably would get them fired today.

Reactions: 1 person
Solid recruiter, horrible coach

Is he even all that great of a recruiter? Didn't Ben Simmons fall into his lap because of some pre-existing connection/backstory with LSU? The other big time recruits he pulled that year he probably got by virtue of piggybacking off of him.

Edit: I thought you were talking about Johnny Jones. It looks like you were referring to Crean; never mind.

Last edited:
Speaking of Indiana, I bet very few fans outside of Indiana know that Purdue has more Big 10 championships than Indiana and also a considerable lead in their head-to-head record. Purdue might even have the head-to-head advantage over every team in the Big 10.

Indiana's Nattys have really changed the perception of which team has had more success in their conference.

VN Store

Back