Weinke is the new QB coach at Alabama

PrattvilleVol

RIP RichRollin
Welp. He's good enough for Nicktator but for some reason not good enough for half of the negavols on VN

Maybe he didn't want to spend days and nights on the recruiting trail?

It kills me but it seems Bama hires young up and comers as consultants, it's almost like they're trying out for a future job. I swear last year they had better "Consultants" than most schools have coaches

Yep. AL.com just changed their article headline. If he sticks he'll eventually be the QBs coach.
Here's the AL.com Article:

Former Heisman Trophy winner Chris Weinke joining Alabama staff | AL.com
Former Heisman Trophy winner Chris Weinke is joining Alabama's staff as an offensive analyst, he confirmed to 247Sports' Josh Newberg.

The 44-year old was the St. Louis/Los Angeles Rams' quarterbacks coach the last two years after five years as the head coach at IMG Academy in Florida, where he coached Crimson Tide star running back Bo Scarbrough.

Weinke is the oldest player to ever win the Heisman, winning it as a 28-year old senior at Florida State in 2000.

A 2001 fourth-round pick of the Carolina Panthers, Weinke played seven years in the NFL, six for the Panthers (2001-06) and one for the San Francisco 49ers (2007).

Coincidentally, Weinke's first game as a member of the Alabama staff is against Florida State.

I assume the plan is for Weinke to be promoted to QB Coach when the 10th assistant is approved. It's the one additional coach we need.

Brian Daboll, UA's OC/QB Coach, is good at teaching QBs about reading defenses, progressions, etc., but isn't really a "QB whisperer" adept at teaching QB passing fundamentals. UA also promoted Mike Locksley from Offensive Analyst to Co-OC/WR Coach.

Weinke was an NFL QB for 7 seasons. In addition to coaching the IMG team, he was also a private tutor at IMG for NFL QBs. Most recently, he was NFL QB coach for two years with the Rams.

So, Weinke seems like a pretty good QB Coach fit for UA's needs. Hopefully the 10th assistant gets approved in April instead of being delayed. The only QBs on the roster are Jalen Hurts (sophomore) and two early enrollees (true freshman). And Jalen's passing game needs significant improvement.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back