Georgia DL Trenton Thompson withdraws from school for 'significant medical issue'

Probably the fake kind that have fentanyl in them. That might explain him not testing positive for oxycodone.

I don't know about the hospital he was at, but the one I work at, our standard UAs just show "opiates". Fentanyl is a synthetic opiate and doesn't really show up. So unless they did a gas chromatography, which I kind of doubt, I'm not quite sure how much stock I put in their press release.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't know about the hospital he was at, but the one I work at, our standard UAs just show "opiates". Fentanyl is a synthetic opiate and doesn't really show up. So unless they did a gas chromatography, which I kind of doubt, I'm not quite sure how much stock I put in their press release.

That Fentanyl is dangerous.

so drugs and not serious health issue?

hate hearing about it either way.

I understand what you're saying, but drug use/ abuse/ addiction IS a serious health issue.

It's hard for a lot of us to understand that it's more than people making dumb choices. Sure, maybe it was dumb to choose to start, but you'd be amazed the people that prescription (and other) drugs have gotten their hooks into. They're way beyond simply choosing, and it's now a physical and medical issue.

:hi:

Best wishes for his recovery. I'm in my sixties, and I'm starting to feel like we're losing much of a generation, not to mention their kids and others who would otherwise have depended on them.

I understand what you're saying, but drug use/ abuse/ addiction IS a serious health issue.

It's hard for a lot of us to understand that it's more than people making dumb choices. Sure, maybe it was dumb to choose to start, but you'd be amazed the people that prescription (and other) drugs have gotten their hooks into. They're way beyond simply choosing, and it's now a physical and medical issue.

Best wishes for his recovery. I'm in my sixties, and I'm starting to feel like we're losing much of a generation, not to mention their kids and others who would otherwise have depended on them.

I've had two friends that became addicted to these drugs after being prescribed by their doctor. One is dead, the other lost everything and is struggling to put his life back together. It's no joke and my advice is if you are ever prescribed these types of meds please refrain or be very careful. It's tragic and it's a scourge on our society.

It's awful if you've ever experienced the grip prescription drugs can have on a person, my brother has lost almost everything and everyone he cares about because he can't see past his need for his next fix. It's real and sadly something guys like Eric singe will never think about during their playing careers...but the pain won't stop their.

Multitudes more powerful than heroin. Many people have ODed/died from it recently all over the country.

My wife's twin cousin took just one from a guy at a party and died the same night. She didn't party that I know of (home body) but just broke up with her fiancé who is a good Christian man and went out with some people that was trying to "help" take her mind off the situation. She was a straight A student at UNCC getting ready to get her nursing degree. She fell asleep on a friends couch and died. Blood was coming out her eyes. It was a hard situation for everyone involved and her twin sister still doesn't talk to anyone. The doctor said she only took one pill and that it was what you described. They didn't know the guy and her friends said he told her it was just a Vicodin. They convicted they guy of man slaughter and assumed he was trying to give her something where he could possibly take advantage of her. I still can't believe that one pain pill could kill someone. Just hard to get over.

My wife's twin cousin took just one from a guy at a party and died the same night. She didn't party that I know of (home body) but just broke up with her fiancé who is a good Christian man and went out with some people that was trying to "help" take her mind off the situation. She was a straight A student at UNCC getting ready to get her nursing degree. She fell asleep on a friends couch and died. Blood was coming out her eyes. It was a hard situation for everyone involved and her twin sister still doesn't talk to anyone. The doctor said she only took one pill and that it was what you described. They didn't know the guy and her friends said he told her it was just a Vicodin. They convicted they guy of man slaughter and assumed he was trying to give her something where he could possibly take advantage of her. I still can't believe that one pain pill could kill someone. Just hard to get over.

Wow, terrible, terrible story. I can only imagine how hard it is for her twin.

I once had a roommate OD on similar stuff right in front of me. Dude got far too drunk and accepted a line of Opana from some guy at the party-wasnt even a full pill from my recollection-I'm certain my roommate had no idea how powerful it was. He snorted it down and drifted off to sleep within 15 minutes. The idiot who sold it to him was just looking to make a buck, didn't care to think that mixing a heavy opiate with a guy who was nearly blackout drunk might KILL the guy. Once I figured out what happened (20-30 minutes after he insufflated it) I took him off the bed and drug him to the couch, that's when everyone realized that, ya know, maybe there was a situation with the lifeless body lying on the couch. Tried for a few minutes to wake him up but nothing worked. It started to become obvious that he wasnt able to breathe normally. His face started turning blue, so we immediately carried him to the car and sped away to the hospital, all while I'm giving him CPR in the backseat. We got to the hospital they wheeled him off on a stretcher and 30 minutes later a nurse comes by to tell us he was 2 minutes away from certain death and had we called an ambulance instead of driving then he probably wouldn't be alive (the response time in ATX isnt the best, especially at 2 AM). Maybe she was just trying to make us feel better, I'm not sure. Either way, it was a huge eye opener for everyone involved.

Moral of the story is don't ever mix opiates and booze. Hell just don't touch the stuff, period, unless you're prescribed it for a legitimate reason.

Last edited:

Not trying to start a pissing contest but I have dealt with it personally, it is not a sickness or illness. Its mental sure, but I hardly equate bad decisions to an illness; it is a self inflicted injury. sure a doctor prescribes but you notice the change as you use it and its up to you to stop it, at least thats how it was for me.

Not trying to start a pissing contest but I have dealt with it personally, it is not a sickness or illness. Its mental sure, but I hardly equate bad decisions to an illness; it is a self inflicted injury. sure a doctor prescribes but you notice the change as you use it and its up to you to stop it, at least thats how it was for me.

Personal opinions mean zzzzzzzzilllllch when it comes to addiction.

Take alcoholism as an example. You'd be a fool to say genetic factors don't influence a person's susceptibility for alcoholism. Science has already proven that there are underlying genetic traits that make one more susceptible to alcoholism.

There's a plethora of scholarly work out there to back the claims I'm asserting. Science doesn't lie - addiction is a very serious disorder and it's not as simple as you make it out to be. Gene study is still relatively new so they are in constant process of discovery when it comes to identifying which specific genes are more susceptible to addiction(s).

Also, you'd be surprised by how many 60+ year old, good natured, church goin' ladies get mixed up in opiate addiction. It's a real problem, especially for the good, law-abiding citizens who don't know any better. They get hooked on it but they don't really know they're hooked on it. They think "Well I'm not hurting anyone, so what's the big fuss." Next thing you know they are trying to get an extra refill on the prescription cause they are running through the meds too quickly (tolerance builds up). Then guess what? Arrested and charged as a felon.

I hear you, and I could have been more clear before.

I agree that it's a choice --sometimes a guilty thrills choice, as in "whee, that feels kinda good!" --up to a point. But then suddenly, a switch is flipped, and it becomes a true addiction, where you go through physical withdrawal symptoms, and sometimes psychological withdrawal as well. People can die in withdrawal. That's no longer making a bad choice at the moment. That's when the summation of the results of those bad choices has now resulted in your death.

As a species, we're wired to enjoy intoxication, and for those who do this, many or most escape with a hangover or some embarrassing moments. The problem is that no one knows when you yourself, as contrasted with "the average", suddenly find yourself hooked. And that's exactly why they call it hooked. Like a fish, the hook is set in your guts, and now you're no longer the one in charge. It's the chemical instead.

That's when it becomes a "significant medical issue."

The problem is that many have that switch flipped a lot sooner than they had expected --or hoped to get away with.

...Also, you'd be surprised by how many 60+ year old, good natured, church goin' ladies get mixed up in opiate addiction. It's a real problem, especially for the good, law-abiding citizens who don't know any better. They get hooked on it but they don't really know they're hooked on it. They think "Well I'm not hurting anyone, so what's the big fuss." Next thing you know they are trying to get an extra refill on the prescription cause they are running through the meds too quickly (tolerance builds up). Then guess what? Arrested and charged as a felon.
This wasn't an opiate, but wow, was it alcohol: The ingredients of Lydia Pinkham's Compound at the Museum of Menstruation and Women's Health

Lydia Pinkham, after a family financial crisis, marketed her "Lydia E. Pinkham's Vegetable Remedy" beginning in 1876 to women who were plagued by assorted "female ailments" (which included the social and economic stressors that especially affected women of those times.) Her Remedy included herbs which actually could be effective, but mainly it was 13-20% alcohol, meaning 26-40 proof. It was wildly popular --and blameless --among women of all social strata.

I still remember telling my grandmother this back in the 1960's when I was a snot-nosed know-it-all kid, and being amazed at her indignant reaction. It was pretty obvious that a Lydia P. got a lot of respectable women through rough days. :wink2:

VN Store

Back