ETSU Takes Over 1st Place in SoCon With Win Over Furman in OT 93-81

This game was a classic. Furman led by 4 at the half and by 4 with 2:32. ETSU led by 3 with 11 seconds and Furman nailed a 35 footer with 1 second. In the overtime they never missed a shot and won 93-81. POY candidate T.J. Cromer was unstoppable with a career high 32.

This game was a classic. Furman led by 4 at the half and by 4 with 2:32. ETSU led by 3 with 11 seconds and Furman nailed a 35 footer with 1 second. In the overtime they never missed a shot and won 93-81. POY candidate T.J. Cromer was unstoppable with a career high 32.

I was there & it was the biggest crowd I've seen at Freedom Hall for an ETSU basketball game. Over 6,000 people attended the game. They still have to win 2 more games to wrap up the conference but they are playing the lower tier conference teams.

Unfortunately Coach Forbes may be coaching his way out of Johnson City

Could be true. Other schools will be wanting his services for sure.

I'd like to see the Bucs make it. They could give a few teams a run for their money.

They could beat a few teams in the NCAAT. They're not as good as the teams back in the late 80's-early 90's but this is the best team overall they've had since then. The right matchup & they are sending somebody home packing.

They still have to win the conference first & the SoCon tourney is to come as well. This is a well-balanced league & anybody can beat anybody kind of like it is in the SEC.

I was there & it was the biggest crowd I've seen at Freedom Hall for an ETSU basketball game. Over 6,000 people attended the game. They still have to win 2 more games to wrap up the conference but they are playing the lower tier conference teams.
Could be true. Other schools will be wanting his services for sure.
I'm afraid Forbes will be gobbled up by a Power 5 school at the end of the year. He is 47-18 coming into a program for the first time as a DI coach. He believes in instant success and has forged that record based on recruiting Juco All-Americans and 5th year seniors.

The other two sellouts, Tennessee and Chattanooga, were listed also as a sellout crowd of 6149.

Forget lower tier teams, they play UNCG the second place team on Monday. They are a game behind the Bucs. If both win Saturday playing two of the teams at the bottom, the Bucs will win the conference if they win. They will be regular season co-champions but UNCG will be the #1 seed in the tourney if they lose.

The teamrankings.com bracketology computer rankings has ETSU with a 48% chance of getting an NCAA bid. They have a 36% chance of getting an auto bid by winning the tourney. That means if they win a few more and lose in the tourney, they still have a 12% chance of getting a bid.

With the loss to Vandy, Tennessee dropped to an 8% chance of getting a bid and a 1% chance of getting an auto bid by winning the SEC tournament.

Reactions: 2 people
They could beat a few teams in the NCAAT. They're not as good as the teams back in the late 80's-early 90's but this is the best team overall they've had since then. The right matchup & they are sending somebody home packing.

They still have to win the conference first & the SoCon tourney is to come as well. This is a well-balanced league & anybody can beat anybody kind of like it is in the SEC.

I don't think this team is as good as the 05-06 squad. That team should've got more consideration for an at large bid. Tim Smith was phenomenal. This team won't get in without a conference tourney championship, just like the 06 team

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think this team is as good as the 05-06 squad. That team should've got more consideration for an at large bid. Tim Smith was phenomenal. This team won't get in without a conference tourney championship, just like the 06 team

I do think this team is better than the 05-06 squad with Courtney Pigram. That team was good but this team has scoring inside & out. They definitely ain't better than the late 80's & early 90's teams with Mr. Jennings & Greg Dennis. Those teams almost upset #1 Oklahoma in the NCAAT one year & was ranked in the top 10 nationally one season. Thanks.

I do think this team is better than the 05-06 squad with Courtney Pigram. That team was good but this team has scoring inside & out. They definitely ain't better than the late 80's & early 90's teams with Mr. Jennings & Greg Dennis. Those teams almost upset #1 Oklahoma in the NCAAT one year & was ranked in the top 10 nationally one season. Thanks.

Sometimes I think you just want to be a historian and ignore reality. I never brought up the Les Robinson and Alan LeForce coached teams. Thanks

Reactions: 2 people
They still have to win 2 more games to wrap up the conference but they are playing the lower tier conference teams.

I saw UNCG live Wednesday night. That's no lower tier team. They've already got 20 wins and can shoot.

I saw UNCG live Wednesday night. That's no lower tier team. They've already got 20 wins and can shoot.

Yeah. I said lower tier & I was going by conference records only. You must have missed my post saying playing a team in the SoCon is like playing someone in the SEC. There are no easy outs. Thanks.

Yeah. I said lower tier & I was going by conference records only. You must have missed my post saying playing a team in the SoCon is like playing someone in the SEC. There are no easy outs. Thanks.

Pretty sure UNCG is near the top of the conference. But you're right, the top 6 or 7 teams in the SoCon are very equal talent-wise. My poor Mercer Bears have played tight game after tight game and can't close out a game to save their lives.

Pretty sure UNCG is near the top of the conference. But you're right, the top 6 or 7 teams in the SoCon are very equal talent-wise. My poor Mercer Bears have played tight game after tight game and can't close out a game to save their lives.

UNCG was near the top of the conference but the last two weeks have dropped them back to ~5th I believe now. The Bucs end the regular season on the road against UNCG.

They beat ETSU the 1st time these two teams played but the Bucs are on a role now & UNCG is going backwards.

UNCG was near the top of the conference but the last two weeks have dropped them back to ~5th I believe now. The Bucs end the regular season on the road against UNCG.

They beat ETSU the 1st time these two teams played but the Bucs are on a role now & UNCG is going backwards.

UNCG has won 5 in a row and they're 1 game out of first place. Judging by what I saw Wednesday, they'll give ETSU fits.

Maybe you should actually look things up before you start lecturing another poster: UNCG is in 3rd place only a .5 game behind Furman and 1 game behind ETSU.

UNCG beat ETSU at Freedom Hall, 83-79, the same margin as Tennessee's 72-68 win. Both teams should win today. Monday ETSU is playing for sole possession of the conference title and UNCG is playing to be co-champions with ETSU. If they win, UNCG will be the #1 seed in the tournament. I would assume they would get the NIT automatic bid just like ETSU if they don't win the SouCon Tournament.

UNCG beat Furman last Saturday by 21 that had a 1 and 1/2 game lead at the time. They also beat Chattanooga this year. ETSU went into overtime before dominating the Furman game. The top 4 in the conference are really strong with Chattanooga now being number 4 with a 10-6 conference record.

Maybe you should actually look things up before you start lecturing another poster: UNCG is in 3rd place only a .5 game behind Furman and 1 game behind ETSU.

I did have their place(UNCG) in the standings wrong but there's a bunch of teams bunched up in that conference. By the way, I wasn't lecturing anybody buddy. I made a reply in which I had some facts wrong. Isn't that what humans do? Thanks.

UNCG beat ETSU at Freedom Hall, 83-79, the same margin as Tennessee's 72-68 win. Both teams should win today. Monday ETSU is playing for sole possession of the conference title and UNCG is playing to be co-champions with ETSU. If they win, UNCG will be the #1 seed in the tournament. I would assume they would get the NIT automatic bid just like ETSU if they don't win the SouCon Tournament.

UNCG beat Furman last Saturday by 21 that had a 1 and 1/2 game lead at the time. They also beat Chattanooga this year. ETSU went into overtime before dominating the Furman game. The top 4 in the conference are really strong with Chattanooga now being number 4 with a 10-6 conference record.

Any of the top 7 teams could get hot and win the conference tournament. It's just a screwy year with a lot of parity. Case in point... Mercer just went on the road and beat Chattanooga by 10.

ETSU held Western Carolina to an unheard of 12 points in the first half and won going away 68-52 minus their starting point guard who was out with illness.

I'll say this. From a physicality standpoint, ETSU looks the best in the layup line of any team I've seen in the SoCon.

VN Store

Back