A Hurd of Quitters

BigOrangeMojo

The Member in Miss December
Per Scout and Rotoworld:

Former Tennessee senior RB Jalen Hurd will visit Louisville this weekend.

The 6-foot-4, 240-pound Hurd abruptly quit Tennessee's football team in October with the intent to transfer, as opposed to declaring for the NFL Draft. Hurd has also visited Ohio State and California, that we know of. In addition, Oregon is also reportedly interested. A source speaking to Scout's Cardinal Authority said Hurd has "expressed an interest in playing tight end" wherever he wins up. Don't get your hopes up about seeing Lamar Jackson hook up with Hurd this fall, however: Hurd will have to sit out the 2017 if he transfers to an FBS school to satisfy the NCAA's draconian transfer rules.

You have a quitter joining a team coached by someone who quit on the Falcons. Seems like a match made in heaven.

If I was a coach id tell him to kick rocks. What will he new teammates think of someone who quit on his mid season? Probably wont go over well.

If I was a coach id tell him to kick rocks. What will he new teammates think of someone who quit on his mid season? Probably wont go over well.

If you thought he could help your team for a year you wouldn't. Don't think message board angst reflects the coaching world.

Reactions: 6 people
I wish him the best and hope he lands somewhere he can have success.

There was way more than enough blame to go around in his situation. It's a shame he gets saddled with all of the responsibility.

Reactions: 9 people
Dude quit on his team,pretty cut n dry.I get there was enuff blame to go around,but i been in lots of situations i wasnt happy with but i didnt quit..Just saying

Reactions: 5 people
Is all of this concussion related? He took some hits early in the season and never seemed to be himself. Is he x-ferring to another school/position to avoid possible injury? Sure as a TE, he'll get fewer hits than at RB...and his career in the NFL will probably be longer as well.

Dude quit on his team,pretty cut n dry.I get there was enuff blame to go around,but i been in lots of situations i wasnt happy with but i didnt quit..Just saying

College kid...Hurt feelings...Handled poorly by his coaches. Somehow men who get paid millions to nurture a program bear no responsibility.

This didn't happen all of a sudden...This situation festered, and that part is not on him.

Reactions: 3 people
College kid...Hurt feelings...Handled poorly by his coaches. Somehow men who get paid millions to nurture a program bear no responsibility.

This didn't happen all of a sudden...This situation festered, and that part is not on him.

That's no excuse. My feelings are hurt, they didn't do this, they didn't do that, I wanted to play TE, blah blah blah. When you commit to a powerhouse school like Tennessee, you give it your all for your teammates no matter how great, good, or bad the coaching staff is. Hurd simply quit in the middle of the season on his teammates instead of just toughing it out till off season. That's not a mentality of a guy who you should feel sorry for, that's a mentality of a quitter. Nothing more.

Reactions: 9 people

There was way more than enough blame to go around in his situation. It's a shame he gets saddled with all of the responsibility.

This...

after reading how long he had been frustrated, his family telling him not to leave, to wait it out, it obviously became too much. Some people on here don't get it, but it's his life. If he felt wronged and had done everything he could to fix it, why not improve your situation and leave? He doesn't owe UT anything beyond what he gave them. Don't act like UT is a charity.. Don't give me that crap about quitting mid season. Coaches leave all the time, no repercussions. Fan attendance and viewership decreases after losses. The guy's an 21 yr old trying to get to the NFL, not run our stupid offense.

I do agree with the rules of having to sit out a year though....if anyone transfers, to me it means they felt it was necessary for their success and/or happiness. And I'm ok with a guy making his own decisions on that

Reactions: 3 people
If he felt wronged and had done everything he could to fix it, why not improve your situation and leave?

Had every right to leave, but hard to see how he's improved his situation any. Stay and bust a hump for 8 more weeks and you've declared for the draft and are about to make $millions.

This...

after reading how long he had been frustrated, his family telling him not to leave, to wait it out, it obviously became too much. Some people on here don't get it, but it's his life. If he felt wronged and had done everything he could to fix it, why not improve your situation and leave? He doesn't owe UT anything beyond what he gave them. Don't act like UT is a charity.. Don't give me that crap about quitting mid season. Coaches leave all the time, no repercussions. Fan attendance and viewership decreases after losses. The guy's an 21 yr old trying to get to the NFL, not run our stupid offense.

I do agree with the rules of having to sit out a year though....if anyone transfers, to me it means they felt it was necessary for their success and/or happiness. And I'm ok with a guy making his own decisions on that

There's a huge difference between transferring at the end of a season and quitting during the middle of the season. Frankly, there's a huge difference between quitting during the middle of the season and quitting during the middle of a game.

I don't know of too many coaches that quit during the middle of the game.

Reactions: 7 people

You always like to find something to bash buTch and our footVol program about and I find it sad and pathetic.

We do NOT know for a fact anything that was going on behind the scenes with Hurd.

What we DO know for a FACT is that in the UGa game Hurd was showboating as he was going in for a easy TD and got the ball slapped out of his hand and almost Lost that game for us.

FACT is that if Hurd hadn't lost that TD for us we would NOT have needed the Hail Mary pass to get us that WIN.

FACT is that nobody forced Hurd to refuse to go back into the USCe game and sit on the bench like a big crybaby and totally upset and disrupt our Team in the middle of a very important game.

The ONLY person that forced Hurd to quit on his Team and destroy his personal reputation and credibility is Hurd himself.

I was one of the biggest Hurd supporters around because he was a great player in high school and he came from right here in Sumner county where I live.

I had hopes that he would become the greatest RB in Tennessee history and he would have accomplished that if he had grown up and didn't quit on his Team.

My son used to date a girl that went to school with Hurd and she warned me that Hurd was a childish, self centered, demanding egomaniac that would always consider himself better than most anyone and he needed to grow up fast or there would be problems at Tennessee.

I'm very sad to now know that Hurd proved that fine young lady to be 100% correct.

I don't hate the kid but he's no longer part of my beloved Tennessee footVol Team so I really no longer care where he goes or what he does and I'm sick of hearing about the egomaniac quitter.

I certainly hope the members of Team 121 have moved on much better than some people here on VN have because he was a big enough distraction last season and that crap drama king doesn't need to be a distraction any longer.

VFL...GBO!!!

Go Team 121!!!

Reactions: 11 people
That's no excuse. My feelings are hurt, they didn't do this, they didn't do that, I wanted to play TE, blah blah blah. When you commit to a powerhouse school like Tennessee, you give it your all for your teammates no matter how great, good, or bad the coaching staff is. Hurd simply quit in the middle of the season on his teammates instead of just toughing it out till off season. That's not a mentality of a guy who you should feel sorry for, that's a mentality of a quitter. Nothing more.

LOL...judging by some of the threads here a few months ago, this place would have welcomed the QB transfer from Baylor with open arms.

I guess the whole quitter argument only works when someone quits playing at the school you love and support. :eek:lol:

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
This...

that "stupid" offense was the best offense statistically we had in a long time and had him within 400 yards of breaking the UT rushing record as only a JR....

and not many coaches quit mid season/mid game.

LOL...judging by some of the threads here a few months ago, this place would have welcomed the QB transfer from Baylor with open arms.

I guess the whole quitter argument only works when someone quits playing at the school you love and support. :eek:lol:

you mean the qb that transfers after the season like everyone else and didnt quit mid season/mid game?

yeah totally the same thing....

Reactions: 1 person
you mean the qb that transfers after the season like everyone else and didnt quit mid season/mid game?

yeah totally the same thing....

It's exactly the same thing...fans are fans and they want the best for their team regardless.

I'm sure if Stidham had left Baylor mid-season, all those VN threads hoping he chose UT would still exist...with little regard for the feelings of Baylor fans.

Reactions: 2 people
People quit their jobs every day. Why is Petrino any different? You don't like it, you go somewhere else.

Hope Hurd does well wherever he lands. Dude was running for his life / getting his butt kicked every second he was at UT. Mis-utilized is an understatement.

It's exactly the same thing...fans are fans and they want the best for their team regardless.

I'm sure if Stidham had left Baylor mid-season, all those VN threads hoping he chose UT would still exist...with little regard for the feelings of Baylor fans.

You honestly think the situations in Waco and Knoxville are similar?

People quit their jobs every day. Why is Petrino any different? You don't like it, you go somewhere else.

Hope Hurd does well wherever he lands. Dude was running for his life / getting his butt kicked every second he was at UT. Mis-utilized is an understatement.

Wrong. Hurd was not mis-utilized. Hurd is simply not that good.

Right, ok. It's perfectly ok to quit on your teammates in the middle of the season regardless what team you play for. I hope Butch recruits more players like Hurd with the same mentality. Lol

Right, ok. It's perfectly ok to quit on your teammates in the middle of the season regardless what team you play for. I hope Butch recruits more players like Hurd with the same mentality. Lol

If what you believe what many posted here, Butch was the primary reason Hurd decided to leave.

VN Store

Back