ESPN Profit Plummets As Network Turns Left

More garbage from Clay Travis. They're losing viewers for a lot of reasons, but dragging politics into the mix is the moron reaching for something to write. If anything, ESPN has not really changed as much as the country is becoming more polarized and each side cannot stand to think they're getting the other sides view. Travis is as guilty of that as anyone. Twitter has been so much more bearable since unfollowing him.

Last edited:
I watch the games but rarely do I give 2 sh&ts about what the announcers say.

I guess that's why I don't get wound up when every announcing crew, EVER, hates UT.

Reactions: feathersax
They are losing subscribers because people are cutting the cord. So is every other cable network. ESPN loses more than everyone else because they are on more tiers. If people are so mad about ESPN's political slant that they are willing to disconnect from AMC, CNN, Fox News, Vh1, etc then those people most really hate ESPN.

That, or the cord cutters simply don't value live sports enough to be willing to continue to pay for it.

If ESPN is losing subscribers it is because cable TV is expensive. My cable package includes ESPN, and having ESPN enables me to watch a lot of streamed UT sports online, which is great. Travis needs to find another ax to grind

Reactions: 2 people
They are losing subscribers because people are cutting the cord. So is every other cable network. ESPN loses more than everyone else because they are on more tiers. If people are so mad about ESPN's political slant that they are willing to disconnect from AMC, CNN, Fox News, Vh1, etc then those people most really hate ESPN.

That, or the cord cutters simply don't value live sports enough to be willing to continue to pay for it.

What I don't get is, isn't his Fox Sports 1 network losing just as much? The last I heard they weren't exactly setting the world on fire and show like Skip Bayless' are doing terrible in the ratings.

If Travis does anything, it's brag when he's right and the fact that he never brags about how awesome FS1 is doing tells me they aren't.

Reactions: 2 people
Completely separate topic but adding Jemele Hill and Michael Smith to SC wont help their ratings

Eh it's not really seperate, decisions like this contribute to their decline. I cringe at their commercials.

What I don't get is, isn't his Fox Sports 1 network losing just as much? The last I heard they weren't exactly setting the world on fire and show like Skip Bayless' are doing terrible in the ratings.

If Travis does anything, it's brag when he's right and the fact that he never brags about how awesome FS1 is doing tells me they aren't.

ESPN's contracts with the NBA and the NFL are the problem. Revenue is still mammoth compared to FS, but cost is a mammoth differwnce too

Just more people not willing to shell out the money for cable....I know several people who live off of Hulu, amazon prime, netflix, and those sticks you can buy....ESPN will always be okay money wise as they're tied into Disney....They will probably try and get some viewers back through streaming packages and move MNF football to ABC

Apparently - per USA Today - some of that decrease also came from the dates of three College Football Playoff games being moved into the current quarter and fewer hours of SportsCenter programming.

I'm sort of surprised, though, that an even somewhat significant number of people tuned into the network only to watch repeated hours of the same sports replays.

Completely separate topic but adding Jemele Hill and Michael Smith to SC wont help their ratings

I was in my hotel room today during the time they came on. Wow, how the SportsCenter brand has fallen...I turned the TV off and went back to checking email and surfing the internet. That combo is just too painful to watch. I want to see highlights and sport specific analysis, not opinions, rumors, what ifs, social issue feelings and a reason to make something racial. Done with watching Sportscenter.

I don't even know the name of the girl they have on during lunch hour. But I catch maybe 5 min each day as I'm getting my food at work. She's horrendous.

VN Store

Back