Recruits No Likey Likey Tom Hermam???

BUBear

Football On The Brazos
All these recruits are stiff-arming Texas this week and today. The spin zone on Austin Sports Radio this morning has been delightful to listen to.

"We don't have room for more recruits, anyway."

"We just don't have the playing time to offer new recruits since our team is so great right now."

"We've offered 40 scholarships to 2018 class already!

See, Texas' focus was on 2018 this whole time." :eek:lol:

Austin American Statesman: Herman’s 1st UT class is the lowest-rated UT group since 2000

Page not found | Hookem.com

New coach's first recruiting class features 18 players but will finish as the lowest-rated group by the four major recruiting services in school history

Posted February 1st, 2017

Brian Davis American-Statesman Staff

@BDavisAAS

Recruiting services have growth into behemoths, and coaches can dispute whether a player should have been awarded three, four or five stars. Sure, they miss on some athletes, but generally speaking, they get it right.

Texas fans grew accustomed to seeing the Longhorns dominate national signing day during Mack Brown’s heyday and even finish among the national top 10 the last two years under Charlie Strong.

Tom Herman’s first class will go down as the lowest-rated group Texas has assembled since the major recruiting sites started team rankings in 2000. Depending on your provider of choice, Texas' 18 signees were slotted anywhere from 26th (247Sports), 28th (Scout), 31st (Rivals) or 32nd (ESPN).

All these recruits are stiff-arming Texas this week and today. The spin zone on Austin Sports Radio this morning has been delightful to listen to.

"We just don't have the playing time to offer new recruits since our team is so great right now."

Sounds a bit like Butch.

Reactions: 1 person
Sounds a bit like Butch.

I think I like this one the best:

Nothing says "great" like back-to-back 5 and 7 seasons (with no bowl games) using back-to-back Top Ten recruiting classes and the abundance of "talent" that was already stockpiled on campus.

Hook'em...lol :birgits_giggle:

Meh...first-year coach with limited time to establish relationships with recruits as he settles into the gig.

Happens all the time.

Reactions: 8 people
Herman's always been a great recruiter. Doubt his new locale changes that.

Meh...first-year coach with limited time to establish relationships with recruits as he settles into the gig.

Happens all the time.

eh makes sense, however in this case with him previously at houston, you would think he would already have some texas relationships established.

Happens all the time.

Hate to agree with a Gator, but I think you're right. I expect a decent season and a better recruiting class next year.

Anyway... any Vol fan can tell you it takes 6 years to build a program. Brick by brick... oh wait its Texas... Cactus by Cactus baby!

eh makes sense, however in this case with him previously at houston, you would think he would already have some texas relationships established.

I could be wrong, but I doubt Herman was going after the same kids at Houston that Strong was recruiting to Texas.

Kids going to Texas and Houston don't attend the same high schools?

If Strong was recruiting Player A from Carter HS to Texas, and Herman was recruiting Player B from Carter HS to Houston, would you not agree that Herman would need time to establish a relationship with Player A and his family after taking the Texas gig?

Reactions: 4 people
I think I like this one the best:

Nothing says "great" like back-to-back 5 and 7 seasons (with no bowl games) using back-to-back Top Ten recruiting classes and the abundance of "talent" that was already stockpiled on campus.

Hook'em...lol :birgits_giggle:

He has a talented roster

If Strong was recruiting Player A from Carter HS to Texas, and Herman was recruiting Player B from Carter HS to Houston, would you not agree that Herman would need time to establish a relationship with Player A and his family after taking the Texas gig?

His team was outperforming Texas on the field. Why would he not be going after the top players in his state?

Happens all the time.

Except he's a texas guy with recruiting already in place. That's WHY they hired him. No, he knows this year is going to be a bust and is saving up spots for a full house next recruiting cycle.

He is definitely a players coach. He will recruit well at Texas. I like that he didn't just take players that don't fit his system just to get a full class. We have seen plenty of that around here the last decade and more times than not it ends up being a bad idea and you lose a lot of those players anyway. But he is a great players coach and everywhere he has been his players have loved him so definitely not an issue.

He is definitely a players coach. He will recruit well at Texas. I like that he didn't just take players that don't fit his system just to get a full class. We have seen plenty of that around here the last decade and more times than not it ends up being a bad idea and you lose a lot of those players anyway. But he is a great players coach and everywhere he has been his players have loved him so definitely not an issue.

Wait...isn't that what everyone said about Charlie Strong.

Strong had two Top Ten classes and two back-to-back 5-7 seasons. He lost twice to Cal and Sonny Dykes still managed to get fired.

Last edited:
Wait...isn't that what everyone said about Charlie Strong.

Strong had two Top Ten classes and two back-to-back 5-7 seasons. He lost twice to Cal and Sonny Dykes still managed to get fired.

Herman outcoached him at HOUSTON. FSU,Oklahoma Louisville...stop me when this rings a bell. Herman will win with what Strong left and then improve the talent pool even more IMO. Very good coach. Kinda like Art Briles with a soul.

Austin American Statesman: Herman’s 1st UT class is the lowest-rated UT group since 2000

Page not found | Hookem.com

New coach's first recruiting class features 18 players but will finish as the lowest-rated group by the four major recruiting services in school history

Posted February 1st, 2017

Brian Davis American-Statesman Staff

@BDavisAAS

Recruiting services have growth into behemoths, and coaches can dispute whether a player should have been awarded three, four or five stars. Sure, they miss on some athletes, but generally speaking, they get it right.

Texas fans grew accustomed to seeing the Longhorns dominate national signing day during Mack Brown’s heyday and even finish among the national top 10 the last two years under Charlie Strong.

Tom Herman’s first class will go down as the lowest-rated group Texas has assembled since the major recruiting sites started team rankings in 2000. Depending on your provider of choice, Texas' 18 signees were slotted anywhere from 26th (247Sports), 28th (Scout), 31st (Rivals) or 32nd (ESPN).

I just feel like you think we give a whole lot more of a 💩 about Texas than we actually do. Plus, it's not like Baylor doesn't have their own problems to deal with right now... *cough* gigantic cover up *cough*

Reactions: 2 people
I could be wrong, but I doubt Herman was going after the same kids at Houston that Strong was recruiting to Texas.

Herman brought in a 5 star DT to Houston.. he was going after the exact same kids.. Herman took over the Houston area with recruiting.. they were trying to build something huge at Houston.. all those kids could make an insane football team. We kinda saw this year with how Houston's season started out. Herman was killing it at UH and now hes at Texas, who gets a top 10 class almost automatically every year. To be honest it doesn't really matter because they get the recruits anyway. Herman will for sure bring in more talent to texas

VN Store

Back