Cal fires Sonny Dykes

Mark Schlabach Verified account
‏@Mark_Schlabach

Meanwhile, outside Chip Kelly's house in the Bay area ...
C1q2IBKXEAAT9RK.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Meh.

I sort of doubt Chip Kelly will take the Cal job. He'd be a fool if he did. Why take the Cal job when he can have his pick of open jobs at the end of next season? In terms of resources for football, Cal is pretty far down the list in the Pac-12 and frankly one of the weaker P5 jobs. About the only reason Kelly would consider it is that he's already in the area.

If Kelly is smart, he sits it out a year, and gets his pick.

Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel 2m2 minutes ago

I say get the band back together -- Chip/Helfrich at Cal. Same division as Oregon. Better recruiting base. Lower expectations.
0 replies 2 retweets 2 likes

Kyle Bonagura
ESPN Staff Writer

Cal made the firing of coach Sonny Dykes official. Here is part of the statement released by athletics director Mike Williams: "I understand that the timing may not be ideal – it rarely is. We did not want to make this decision until we were ready and did so for the health of our football program and department. Our objective is long-term financial sustainability for our department. In order to do this, we understand that investing in football is critical. We believe that this change will reinvigorate the program, stimulate lagging ticket sales and renewals, and energize our donor base."

I never understood that hire to begin with. A West Texas good ole boy just didn't seem like a good fit in the land of fruits and nuts...can't blame Dykes for taking a P5 job, though.

Report: Another college football head coach has been shockingly fired – Fan Buzz

According to Bruce Feldman, Cal has fired 47-year-old head coach Sonny Dykes:

After building the program back from a 1-11 record in his first year, Dykes put together a 5-7 campaign before reaching and winning Armed Forces Bowl in 2015 with an 8-5 record.

Following another 5-7 year, Dykes’ tenure with Cal is over.

He ended his tenure just 10-26 against the Pac-12, and 1-11 against California rivals.

Dykes was reportedly a candidate for the Baylor job in the offseason after sending top draft pick Jared Goff to the NFL and beating decent squads Texas and Utah this season.

That interview with Baylor, among interviewing for other positions reportedly was among the reasons Dykes was axed, per Fox.

The coaching search to replace Dykes has reportedly already started, with hopes of landing a new coach next week.

He made 2.75 million last year. How high you think they go for Chip?

It would have to be WAAAY higher than that for Kelly. California Income Tax (and California taxes in general) would eat 2.75 mill up quick. Has anyone priced a home out there lately...even a run down dump will set you back a small fortune.

Last edited:
It would have to be WAAAY higher than that for Kelly. California Income Tax (and California taxes in general) would eat 2.75 mill up quick. Has anyone priced a home out there lately...even a run down dump will set you back a small fortune.

When you're above the low pay scale jobs, the income tends to take this into effect. higher costs/ higher pay

I loved living there. It was other things (the traffic especially) that wore me down, plus husband was eased into involuntary retirement. Two incomes worked, one didn't.

Still a truly lovely area, perfect weather, plus a lot of other things that are generally dismissed on VN.

yeah - i think so too -- why else would they wait so long to fire him --

That's what I'm wondering. This is an extremely unusual time to fire a coach. The only logical reason you do this is if you already have another coach lined up.

VN Store

Back