I'll just leave this here

For recruiting purposes, I'm cheering for Bama. UT can't afford Clemson rising to power, they will take important recruits from us. Too close in proximity.

Reactions: 8 people
Would be kind of Hilarious if AL lost after Kiffin Debacle!! :dance2::dance2:

Not that I would wish anything bad on Bama though! :naughty::naughty:

Reactions: 2 people
Actively pulled against every SEC team except the Vols, LSU, and Auburn.

I want LSU and Auburn to get better to help weaken Bama and they aren't regular opponents so I have a little less disdain for them.

Bama's run has to end at some point. Hoping it's against Clemson.

Reactions: 1 person

I agreed with and liked your post.

1-percent-cat-on-the-apocalypse.jpg

It seems that ONE of the arguments NOT to cheer for any SEC team is because we recruit against them and then winning might make recruits choose that school over ours because they are successful.
What about cheering for Clemson to beat Alabama? If I recall, Clemson has quite a few recruits we have been after. If they win doesn't the same rule apply? In addition, if the Clemsons, Florida States, Ohio States, and Michigans continue to have success the novelty of the SEC being the best conference may faulter which also hurts us in recruiting for those that will pass up a Clemson for the opportunity to play in the best conference.

Just a thought.

Edit: I see volsportsfan beat me to it.

Reactions: 4 people
For recruiting purposes, I'm cheering for Bama. UT can't afford Clemson rising to power, they will take important recruits from us. Too close in proximity.

I am not sure the roughly 120 mile difference between Tuscaloosa to Knoxville versus Clemson to Knoxville is worth defiling myself in such a way as to maybe save a few recruits.

It's kind of like throwing your support behind China over North Korea because China is further away.

Sorry. Just can't do it.

Last edited:

Im confused. Alabama winning another title helps Tennessee recruiting?

Clemson is already taking recruits from Tennessee, without a title. If they come up just short, the whole " you could be our missing piece "argument becomes stronger.

Tennessee needs to get better and win own their on and not concern themselves with benefiting from the failure of others. Im rooting for Clemson because I hate Alabama, period.

Reactions: 6 people

For recruiting purposes and combine that with the fact that we play bama every year, it hurts Tennessee for bama to win yet another natty. I will never pull for bama under any circumstance. I really have a hard time watching bama and UF play each other, would rather stare at the sun for 3 hours.:the_finger:

Reactions: 2 people
It seems that ONE of the arguments NOT to cheer for any SEC team is because we recruit against them and then winning might make recruits choose that school over ours because they are successful.
What about cheering for Clemson to beat Alabama? If I recall, Clemson has quite a few recruits we have been after. If they win doesn't the same rule apply? In addition, if the Clemsons, Florida States, Ohio States, and Michigans continue to have success the novelty of the SEC being the best conference may faulter which also hurts us in recruiting for those that will pass up a Clemson for the opportunity to play in the best conference.

Just a thought.

Edit: I see volsportsfan beat me to it.

Novelty of the SEC being the best conference has already worn off based on conference standings this year in the bowls.

SEC is 6-6.

ACC is 8-3.

Jones and his teams taking care of their own business on the field and not letting 4-5 star recruits either wither on the vine or walk out the door will do a lot for recruiting as well.

Reactions: 1 person
I pulled for Washington...the only 1 of the 4 that I don't view with disgust. Went the way of my Fantasy Football league this year.

If UT had taken care of their own business we would not be worried about Clemson. But it looks like we are dedicated to mediocrity.

I say **** Bama........but I may have to root for them to win next week. If I pick the winner of the Bama-Clemson game then I win the Bowl Pick'em pool I'm in. Important stuff like bragging rights and a few C-notes on the line here.

Which team would you bet money on?

I say **** Bama........but I may have to root for them to win next week. If I pick the winner of the Bama-Clemson game then I win the Bowl Pick'em pool I'm in. Important stuff like bragging rights and a few C-notes on the line here.

Which team would you bet money on?

At this point, honestly, Clemson. They ran Kitten off a week early, and my realistic bammer fan (yes, there are a few of those) doesn't like it for continuity reasons. And Sark? He's a booger eater. :p

Seriously at this point I would be worried about Clemson if I were bammer. Clemson has had a whole year to stew, and bammer offense is much worse than last year.

Bammer d is better, but Clemson scored plenty on them last year. Bammer may hold them below their average this year, but I doubt they get shut down.

One thing I do know...Clemson will be ready for the on side kick this year. :)

I don't understand crusaders trying to convince fans that they have some obligation to either cheer for, or in this case, not cheer for another sec team.

True life experience. In 1979 on New Year's day, I went to brunch on Santa Monica Beach as Alabama was set to play Penn St for the claim to the national title. Bear vs Paterno. I was stationed in LA with the Air Force. My girlfriend has arranged for us to have margaritas and breakfast brunch with her best friend and her boyfriend who was a Tennessean like I was. Due to the west coast time change, the game start was like mid-morning for us. As we met and chatted, this fellow Tennessean tried to convince me to pull for Alabama since they represented the sec. I flatly refused citing my hatred of Alabama. He just couldn't understand it but as we watched the game, he pulled for Bama and I pulled for Penn St. That was the way I was back then.

Now as I have aged, I guess I've mellowed and now I feel completely different. I can't even fathom the thought of pulling for Clemson against Bama. It's not a conscious decision. Time has just changed my preferences I guess. Maybe it's because Bama has so many titles now that I gave up trying to catch them with our own titles. Maybe it's because Bear is long gone. Who knows?

The point I'm trying to make to you is that it is fruitless to campaign for people to consciously like one thing or dislike another. To favor sec rivals or hate sec rivals is more often than not ingrained in each individual. Not only that, life and age can cause them change their attitudes over time as was true in my case.

The point I'm making is that crusading for individuals to feel one way or another about a non-Vol sec opponents isn't anymore reasonable than trying to convince me to be pro-sec or pulling for Bama 40 years ago.

It's 40 year later and over the years I've unconsciously changed in my preference obviously. So Roll Tide against Clempson.

I don't understand crusaders trying to convince fans that they have some obligation to either cheer for, or in this case, not cheer for another sec team.

True life experience. In 1979 on New Year's day, I went to brunch on Santa Monica Beach as Alabama was set to play Penn St for the claim to the national title. Bear vs Paterno. I was stationed in LA with the Air Force. My girlfriend has arranged for us to have margaritas and breakfast brunch with her best friend and her boyfriend who was a Tennessean like I was. Due to the west coast time change, the game start was like mid-morning for us. As we met and chatted, this fellow Tennessean tried to convince me to pull for Alabama since they represented the sec. I flatly refused citing my hatred of Alabama. He just couldn't understand it but as we watched the game, he pulled for Bama and I pulled for Penn St. That was the way I was back then.

Now as I have aged, I guess I've mellowed and now I feel completely different. I can't even fathom the thought of pulling for Clemson against Bama. It's not a conscious decision. Time has just changed my preferences I guess. Maybe it's because Bama has so many titles now that I gave up trying to catch them with our own titles. Maybe it's because Bear is long gone. Who knows?

The point I'm trying to make to you is that it is fruitless to campaign for people to consciously like one thing or dislike another. To favor sec rivals or hate sec rivals is more often than not ingrained in each individual. Not only that, life and age can cause them change their attitudes over time as was true in my case.

The point I'm making is that crusading for individuals to feel one way or another about a non-Vol sec opponents isn't anymore reasonable than trying to convince me to be pro-sec or pulling for Bama 40 years ago.

It's 40 year later and over the years I've unconsciously changed in my preference obviously. So Roll Tide against Clempson.

You have just lost it in your old age is all. The younger you know what he was doing. :p

Serious question, to the thought of recruiting against Clemson if they win, don't we recruit against bama also? I mean if a kid dreams of playing in the sec and bama keeps winning, doesn't that hurt us the same if Clemson wins?

As long as Saban is there Bama is going to get anyone they want and compete for a Championship every year. Can't have Clemson now creeping in to Tennessee on recruiting trips toting a trophy. I hope Bama waxes them

VN Store

Back