What is going on with Georgia recruiting?

VOL-uh-tile

Accept me into your immortal oath
Over the last few months they've been picking up crazy amounts of very highly rated recruits despite their lackluster season. Do kids really want to play for Smart that badly? I would have imagined recruiting to slow down for the Dogs but Smart's doing better than even Richt.

Over the last few months they've been picking up crazy amounts of very highly rated recruits despite their lackluster season. Do kids really want to play for Smart that badly? I would have imagined recruiting to slow down for the Dogs but Smart's doing better than even Richt.

Georgia has always recruited at a very high level. If you look at their last 4 classes they rated higher than Tennessee taken as a 4 year average.

Reactions: 1 person

See Tennessee's recruiting after Butch's first season. Smart is selling a vision and the future. If he doesn't produce, that sales pitch will soon fade too

Reactions: 7 people
Smart is already 0-1 vs average Butch and that's not good at all. If he's going to continue to sell the future, he better start winning some games in the SEC. As of right now, Smart is just a big fat joke who was overhyped as a first year HC coming into this season.

Reactions: 3 people
The hour radius around Atlanta alone gets enough players for Georgia and Georgia Tech to have good rosters. Add in kids you go elsewhere to recruit and boom one of easier recruiting jobs in SEC.

The same pitch as CBJ used, "....early playing time.."; "...we don't mind playing true freshmen..."; "...our vision is for a NC in 2-3 years..."; "...'dog-by-dog' we're building a killer pound..." (or some such s..t)

I'd do the same thing, and so would you.

Reactions: 4 people
See Tennessee's recruiting after Butch's first season. Smart is selling a vision and the future. If he doesn't produce, that sales pitch will soon fade too

Yup. Butch got a couple good classes after just 5 wins. You can sell the future for a couple seasons. Then it's prove it or struggle. Note our recruiting now. Quite the struggle.

Reactions: 2 people

Agreed. The Georgia game in Neyland Stadium will be the most important game of the year next season, not only to sustain the momentum for our program but to keep Smart from building Georgia into a serious SEC contender.

Florida has won the East in McElwain's first two seasons, but he doesn't impress me much as a recruiter or gameday strategist. Smart's experience at Alabama and the patience/loyalty of his fanbase (because he's a UGA grad) make his program a far bigger threat to us.

Ridiculous amount of talent in state and only one school that matters. Donnan had the #2 class in the country while he was there. Not really doing anything any different than they have ever done. OL is still going to suck next year for them.

Always recruit well, and they have the new coach hype. He gets a pass for year 0 and rolling with a true freshman at QB. We would have the same attitude with a new coach. We have in the past.

I wonder how good FL will be when all the Muschamp defensive players are gone for McElwain.The Georgia games will be big over the next few years.

Obviously it's the honeymoon period. Just like with what Butch did to a lesser extent.

Getting highly rated Georgia kids to stay home...if CBJ could have done that we would have a highly rated class as well.

Richt recruited well, but this is a different level. It is a pleasant surprise. All the stars will make the fan base forget that Smart lost to Vandy and GTech. That will only work for a year or two. If Kirby can learn to coach like he can recruit, this might be fun.

Richt recruited well, but this is a different level. It is a pleasant surprise. All the stars will make the fan base forget that Smart lost to Vandy and GTech. That will only work for a year or two. If Kirby can learn to coach like he can recruit, this might be fun.

Hey Ktowndawgg. Did Georgia ever take a serious look at getting Fuente? Feel like they blew a golden opportunity. I know Smart was wanted because he played there, but to me he seems worse than Richt. I think Justin Fuente would have taken Georgia to a national championship level.

Hey Ktowndawgg. Did Georgia ever take a serious look at getting Fuente? Feel like they blew a golden opportunity. I know Smart was wanted because he played there, but to me he seems worse than Richt. I think Justin Fuente would have taken Georgia to a national championship level.

If Butch does fizzle, I would hope Tennessee opens up the checkbook and takes a look at Justin Fuente. He's a game changer as a HC.

Difference is he has a lot more talent than butch had. I don't see the struggling for 3 years the way we did and I am concerned about them more than uf.

Difference is he has a lot more talent than butch had. I don't see the struggling for 3 years the way we did and I am concerned about them more than uf.

Talent wise yes. Coaching wise. Not so much. Especially as long as they have Chaney running the offense.

VN Store

Back