Bruce enrolls 5* center

I bet you're just giddy about it too aren't you? Seems like Bruce needs all the help he can get considering he's in his 3rd year, has recruited great yet still isn't expected to make the NCAAT this year.

Reactions: 2 people
I bet you're just giddy about it too aren't you? Seems like Bruce needs all the help he can get considering he's in his 3rd year, has recruited great yet still isn't expected to make the NCAAT this year.

True but I give Bruce credit, he can definitely recruit better than Barnes but Barnes is the better coach IMO.

Reactions: 1 person
What disappoints me as a Vols' fan is that every coach in the SEC seems to be able to recruit 4* and 5* players except ours. For God's sake, Mississippi State recruited 6 4* players this year. DT had one of those coming to Tennessee this year. People like you may like that but I don't! Contrary to your belief, we will never compete for an SEC title without at least having some four star players or juco All-Americans like Mr. Forbes up the road who has 3 of them on his roster. Rick Barnes cannot recruit or does not want to recruit 5th year seniors who can play or jucos who can add experience to his teams for some reason. It is beyond me. Kevin Punter was a juco.

What disappoints me as a Vols' fan is that every coach in the SEC seems to be able to recruit 4* and 5* players except ours. For God's sake, Mississippi State recruited 6 4* players this year. DT had one of those coming to Tennessee this year. People like you may like that but I don't! Contrary to your belief, we will never compete for an SEC title without at least having some four star players or juco All-Americans like Mr. Forbes up the road who has 3 of them on his roster. Rick Barnes cannot recruit or does not want to recruit 5th year seniors who can play or jucos who can add experience to his teams for some reason. It is beyond me. Kevin Punter was a juco.

We've already gone through the MSU situation...

2015 they signed a 5* legacy, a 4* instate, and one other low 4*.
2016 they signed two solid 4*s, and four low 4*s.

Recruiting isn't as amazing at it seems. 2016 was a good bulk class for them. In terms of actual quality, schools like Vanderbilt, Georgia, Alabama and Auburn were all close.

MSU watched it's 5* player run away to a real school after one year. So regardless of recruiting, schools have to actually show results when they get on campus to keep them. MSU hasn't. They've lost to UCF, ETSU, and Lehigh to start the year.

You bring in Juco/Transfers to round out a squad. We don't have one or two gaps, we have a team-wide gap. Barnes brought in talented freshmen. TN is a team people don't want to play. We're scrappy and on the cusp. They may be 3* guys, but that just means talent is there, but isn't refined. This year is trial by fire and they'll come out next year better for it.

We have a true center coming in next year and room for 1 more addition....maybe. Recruiting will look bad this year because we aren't really doing any. We don't have room.

We have a decent shot at a 2018 5* guard. We will take 1-2 max then, too.

2019, will be a small year, but I imagine we look at high end guys only

by 2020, we should be winning and going out to get the big time guys. You'll have 1-2 srs, 1-2 jrs, and hopefully 1-2 big time soph players and be able to bring in 3-4 guys.

Reactions: 1 person
Apparently SD stops paying attention after recruiting and ignores results. I mean with all that recruiting, Auburn and MSU must be tearing it up on the court.

Oh wait....

Apparently SD stops paying attention after recruiting and ignores results. I mean with all that recruiting, Auburn and MSU must be tearing it up on the court.

Oh wait....

It's comical. Bruce did everything he could to lose to Mercer yesterday.

Well good for Bruce and Auburn maybe they won't lose 20 games for the 3rd year in a row

They lost to Boston College who was probably the worst Power 5 team in the country last year. Also barely survived against Mercer.

True but I give Bruce credit, he can definitely recruit better than Barnes but Barnes is the better coach IMO.

I recall some great sideline calls by BP during his time at Tennessee, some great play calls coming out of timeouts, inbounds plays. BP is a far better recruiter than Barnes has shown and frankly, a game coach, IMO. Barnes has been outstanding improving and developing players. Of course, he better be. At times, I think Barnes watches the game like he bought a ticket or something.

I recall some great sideline calls by BP during his time at Tennessee, some great play calls coming out of timeouts, inbounds plays. BP is a far better recruiter than Barnes has shown and frankly, a game coach, IMO. Barnes has been outstanding improving and developing players. Of course, he better be. At times, I think Barnes watches the game like he bought a ticket or something.

Apparently that great coaching ability hasn't shown up with him at Auburn yet.

True but it seems like Pearl used to lose games like those his last 2 years at UT and at Auburn

His last 2 years at UT? Nope. He did lose some his last year but that was right when the crap was hitting the fan behind the scenes.

He actually did ok in the pre-SEC games since he's been at Auburn.

They'll have to go at least 12-6 in the SEC to make the tournament. They played only one tournament team OOC and got annihilated. And the BC loss is going to be a major drag on their resume.

VN Store

Back