Minnesota football players boycott their bowl game in protest of suspension of 10 tea

Wow what a lousy situation. I have no idea what the truth is here, but I sure hope these players do if this is the hill they choose to die on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
What is the deal with these sexual situations involving one girl and half a dozen guys? I mean you're on the football team, go get two girls for yourself and have a ball. Why would you want to watch five of your friends get a tug?

Reactions: 8 people
So if they boycott then can the bowl pick another partisan this late? It would have to be a 5-7 team but on such short notice I'd assume no. And then the bowl game shouldn't have to refund the fans tickets and travel cost but how does that get handled?

So if they boycott then can the bowl pick another partisan this late? It would have to be a 5-7 team but on such short notice I'd assume no. And then the bowl game shouldn't have to refund the fans tickets and travel cost but how does that get handled?

I read that Northern Illinois would be next in line and that decision could be made in as soon as 48 hours if things aren't resolved.

I read that Northern Illinois would be next in line and that decision could be made in as soon as 48 hours if things aren't resolved.

Good. While not ideal not fair to I don't think it is fair Washington St fans to pay to travel then no game take place.

Last edited:
Has any team ever forfeited a bowl game in such a manner?

Or ever done it period?

Has any team ever forfeited a bowl game in such a manner?

Or ever done it period?

I want to say South Carolina did it once and then the SEC passed a rule prohibiting teams from doing it in the future. I support the players here. Schools have gone off the deep end with this stuff, particularly under the Obama DOJ. Sexual assault allegations should be investigated by law enforcement and, when there's sufficient evidence to justify prosecution, decided in courts of law.

Reactions: 7 people
What is the deal with these sexual situations involving one girl and half a dozen guys? I mean you're on the football team, go get two girls for yourself and have a ball. Why would you want to watch five of your friends get a tug?

Obviously the members of this football team think that is acceptable behavior. It is not.

Reactions: 1 person
Schools have gone off the deep end with this stuff, particularly under the Obama DOJ. Sexual assault allegations should be investigated by law enforcement and, when there's sufficient evidence to justify prosecution, decided in courts of law.

I disagree. Those involved allowed themselves to get into a situation that they should have realized could lead to a complaint the next day. Seriously anyone with common sense should realize multiple guys with one girl is not going to end well.

I disagree. Those involved allowed themselves to get into a situation that they should have realized could lead to a complaint the next day. Seriously anyone with common sense should realize multiple guys with one girl is not going to end well.

So if law enforcement decided charges weren't warranted, why should the players have to suffer from the university?

Reactions: 4 people

So you support having panels of unelected, untrained persons deciding these matters behind closed doors without giving the accused due process? Best of luck if anyone ever accuses you of something you didn't do.

Reactions: 5 people
So if law enforcement decided charges weren't warranted, why should the players have to suffer from the university?

Rules that govern Title IX / EOOA and acceptable behavior at universities are different from laws that result with someone being convicted of a crime.

There is also the acceptable behavior that is set forth by a coach or AD for the players.

Same is true for an employment situation - one can get fired for something that is unacceptable based on the employer rules and/or compliance to state / federal guidelines even though it may not be illegal per the criminal system.

These players that are boycotting are not just protesting the football coach - they are protesting the right of the University of Minnesota to administer their guidelines and procedures as it relates to student conduct. If the University gives in they might as well throw all decisions they will make regarding any student on any matter out the door going forward.

So you support having panels of unelected, untrained persons deciding these matters behind closed doors without giving the accused due process? Best of luck if anyone ever accuses you of something you didn't do.

They are not deciding guilt. They are deciding if the actions violate codes of conduct or violate other state and federal guardrails they have to operate under.

The fault still lies with the young men who let themselves get into this situation - someone who is thinking straight would have known where this would probably lead and avoided the situation.

Rules that govern Title IX / EOOA and acceptable behavior at universities are different from laws that result with someone being convicted of a crime.

There is also the acceptable behavior that is set forth by a coach or AD for the players.

Same is true for an employment situation - one can get fired for something that is unacceptable based on the employer rules and/or compliance to state / federal guidelines even though it may not be illegal per the criminal system.

These players that are boycotting are not just protesting the football coach - they are protesting the right of the University of Minnesota to administer their guidelines and procedures as it relates to student conduct. If the University gives in they might as well throw all decisions they will make regarding any student on any matter out the door going forward.

So, again, law enforcement decided nothing wrong happened. Why are you punishing the players when nothing has been proven? Automatically taking the victims' side has to stop. Innocent until proven guilty. You are automatically placing blame on people that haven't been proven to have done anything wrong.

Reactions: 3 people

Obviously the other members of the Minnesota football team think this is acceptable behavior ... as does several on this board.

Those involved should consider themselves lucky because if this had went to court - they were toast.

So, again, law enforcement decided nothing wrong happened. Why are you punishing the players when nothing has been proven? Automatically taking the victims' side has to stop. Innocent until proven guilty. You are automatically placing blame on people that haven't been proven to have done anything wrong.

You obviously didn't read what I said or don't understand that there are some activity that while maybe not illegal per laws that land one is jail - do get you fired, sued, ruined for life, etc. Sexual discrimination is one of them.

You obviously didn't read what I said or don't understand that there are some activity that while maybe not illegal per laws that land one is jail - do get you fired, sued, ruined for life, etc. Sexual discrimination is one of them.

No. You're not understanding. Nothing has been proven to have gone wrong, but because someone has possibly completely fabricated an allegation, you are completely supportive of punishing what could very likely be completely innocent people.

Obviously the other members of the Minnesota football team think this is acceptable behavior ... as does several on this board.

Those involved should consider themselves lucky because if this had went to court - they were toast.

If law enforcement decides not to press charges, their chances in court are pretty gosh darn good.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm not sure that's what law enforcement determined. My understanding is that they looked at the evidence, found it to be contradictory, and decided they didn't have a strong case for prosecution. That is not the same as saying "nothing wrong happened".

The schools, conferences and NCAA continue to want their cake and eat it too. I mean this is what it is about at the end of the day. If college football is simply a student activity the school could just decide to take the forfeit, of course, its not, its a business. The school has nobody to blame but themselves, surprised more teams haven't used this till now for all types of issues.

I am not justifying any events that may or may not have lead up to this, as I have no idea what happened.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm not sure that's what law enforcement determined. My understanding is that they looked at the evidence, found it to be contradictory, and decided they didn't have a strong case for prosecution. That is not the same as saying "nothing wrong happened".

Slim margin of differential. Nothing has been proven to be wrong, so why should the players be punished because someone is claiming something?

By the reasoning of many in this thread, can I submit a claim to Freak that a poster sexually assaulted me and get said poster banned permanently just because I claim it happened?

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back