Baylor Hires Temple Coach Matt Rhule

DiderotsGhost

Baylor Hires Matt Rhule

Good hire for Baylor. Not necessarily a good move for Matt Rhule.

Even under the best of circumstances, is Baylor really that much of an upgrade over Temple? Sure, Baylor is in a Power 5 conference and Temple is not, but Baylor is a very difficult P5 job in spite of Art Briles' success there. In terms of prestige and resources, Bayor is behind Oklahoma, Texas, OKlahoma State (big boosters), and West Virginia. You have to go all the way back to the mid 90s with Chuck Reedy to even find a Baylor coach that went to a bowl game before Art Briles. The most successful coach before Briles was Grant Teaff, who took Baylor to 8 bowl games in 21 seasons and had a .528 conference winning percentage. For much of the past few decades, Baylor has been a cellar-dweller and the later Art Briles years look like an aberration.

Baylor is a very tough job even in good times. It's going to be even worse with the restrictions it faces and nearly non-existent recruiting class for 2017. Its current recruiting class is ranked #162 by 247Sports and they only have one commitment. Tennessee-Martin is actually ranked one spot higher in recruiting than Baylor right now.

Good luck to Rhule. But frankly, I think he would've been better off waiting it out at Temple for another year or two. This Baylor job looks like a coach-killer right now. If he succeeds, he deserves all the accolades in the world.

Reactions: 2 people
At a glance it looks like he did a great job in his 4 seasons at Temple. W/L record not so good in 1st two seasons, but 10 wins in last two seasons and Conf Champs this season. Seems to be a good program builder/rebuilder. Does seem like he could've landed a better gig than Baylor. Baylor should feel fortunate to have landed him.

Last edited:
I'm surprised he's leaving Temple but if you look at his background he's a good fit for Baylor. If you can do it at Temple you can friggin do it anywhere.

At a glance it looks like he did a great job in his 4 seasons at Temple. W/L record not so good in 1st two seasons, but 10 wins in last two seasons and Conf Champs this season. Seems to be a good program builder/rebuilder. Does seem like he could've landed a better gig than Baylor. Baylor should feel fortunate to have landed him.

Good coach. Decent job. Bad fit IYAM.

Matt Rhule joins Baylor, high school kid with same name ridiculed | SI.com

Well, Matt Rhule decided to leave his post at Temple for the head coaching job at Baylor, and some fans of the Owls were kind of peeved. They decided to tweet at this poor kid in high school.

i am a high school student
i am not a football coach pic.twitter.com/mDJMyko5l1

— mαtthew (@mattrhule) December 6, 2016

1NHltArR_400x400.jpg

CzBp1_6UQAAiJAk.jpg

:dunno:​

Well, Matt Rhule decided to leave his post at Temple for the head coaching job at Baylor, and some fans of the Owls were kind of peeved. They decided to tweet at this poor kid in high school.

I can see the resemblance

Reactions: 3 people
The fact that anybody was even talking about the Temple Owls after 3 weeks into the season speaks volumes about Rhule's achievements there.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/lsu-football/lsu-qb-commit-myles-brennan-contacted-by-baylor/

Username or Email Address

Password (case sensitive)
FORGOT USERNAME OR PASSWORD?

LATEST
TEAMS
CONNECT
SHOP
LOGIN
SEARCH
MORE
SCHEDULE
ROSTER
COACHING STAFF
FANS
SDS STORE

LSU QB commit Myles Brennan contacted by Baylor
WILLIAM MCFADDEN | 1 DAY AGO

Myles Brennan prepares to throw a pass on Friday, Sept. 16, 2016. Amanda McCoy amccoy@sunherald.com

The Myles Brennan situation has been an interesting one for LSU.

Shortly after Ed Orgeron said he wanted a dual-threat quarterback and offered 5-star Alabama commit Tua Tagovailoa, Brennan, a 4-star pro-style passer, reopened his recruitment.

Brennan says he still remains committed to LSU, but with the program currently looking around for other option, the quarterback is doing the same. It hasn’t taken long for offers to come Brennan’s way.

A day after accepting the job to become Baylor’s next head coach, Matt Rhule has reportedly reached out to Brennan. Under Art Briles, Baylor boasted one of the top passing attacks in college football. It remains to be seen what the Bears’ offense will look like under Rhule, but Brennan appears to be on their radar.

Brennan to visit Baylor in January confirmed.

Last edited:

:dunno:​

That looks nothing like Tom Herman

New Baylor football coach Matt Rhule has tabbed a prominent Texas high school football coach to join the program.

Rhule has hired San Antonio Reagan coach David Wetzel to join the Bears, North East ISD confirmed on Friday morning. Wetzel, a Baylor alumnus, is the current president of the Texas High School Coaches Association.

Wetzel is not expected to be an assistant coach but will serve in another capacity, such as player development. Wetzel played for Baylor in 1990 and 1991.

Wetzel has been coaching at San Antonio Reagan since 2004. Current Texas A&M quarterback Trevor Knight and one of A&M's 2017 quarterback commits, Kellen Mond, played at Reagan under Wetzel. Mond transferred to Florida's IMG Academy for his senior year.

Click Here!
Ex-QB Bell, Temple DC Snow joining Baylor staff

2 images
Staff photo— Jerry Larson, file

Shawn Bell amassed 5,666 yards through the air during his four years at Baylor, ranking him fifth in school history.

By JOHN WERNER jwerner@wacotrib.com | Posted 12 hours ago

Shawn Bell is returning to the Baylor football program for the first time since he played quarterback for the Bears in 2006.

Bell has accepted a yet to be determined position on new Baylor coach Matt Rhule’s staff after leading Round Rock Cedar Ridge High School to an 11-1 record in his only season at the school.

Additionally, Temple defensive coordinator Phil Snow has also joined Rhule’s staff. Snow served four seasons at Temple under Rhule, and was the architect of a defense that ranked third nationally for an Owls team that fashioned a 10-3 record this year.

Bell was previously head coach at Clifton and Magnolia West high schools before his lone season at Cedar Ridge.

“This is a dream come true for me to come back to Baylor and coach and help build the program,” Bell said. “My goal is to get on board and do whatever they need me to do, and I will do that to the best of my ability.”

Bell said he’s impressed by Rhule’s enthusiasm and is anxious to start recruiting for him. Bell is the second Texas high school coach to join Rhule’s staff following former Baylor wide receiver and San Antonio Reagan coach David Wetzel. Wetzel, the president of the Texas High School Football Coaches Association, joined Rhule’s staff last week.

“Coach Rhule is fabulous,” Bell said. “He could make anyone wearing green and gold run through a wall for him. I hope my ties in the state will help bring kids to Baylor. I’ll work relentlessly with coaches in Texas.”

During his four seasons playing for the Bears from 2003-06, Bell passed for 5,666 yards to rank fifth in school history. He completed 61.2 percent of his passes and threw 38 touchdowns under former Baylor coach Guy Morriss. His biggest moment came in 2004 when he led the Bears to a 35-34 win over Texas A&M.

He said it was tough to leave his players at Cedar Ridge but they understand the opportunity that awaits him at Baylor.

“It was hard to leave them because we had been through a grind at Cedar Ridge the last nine to 10 months. “Bell said. “But they understood. They high-fived and congratulated me.”

Snow, 60, has been coaching college football since 1982 and has served as defensive coordinator at Boise State, Arizona State, UCLA, Washington, Eastern Michigan and Temple.

He was also an assistant defensive coach for the Detroit Lions in 2005.

Snow will join several other Temple defensive assistants at Baylor, including defensive backs coach Francis Brown and linebackers coach Mike Siravo. Temple defensive line coach Elijah Robinson is also reportedly heading to Baylor.

Background for those that do not know who Joey McGuire is..

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/whats-the...-him/366505604

Will he stay or will he go?
There is much speculation about the future of highly successful Cedar Hill football coach Joey McGuire. As college coaching staff shakeups take center stage, McGuire's future at Cedar Hill gets put in the spotlight. McGuire said he doesn't consider himself a candidate for the new Texas coach Tom Herman's staff, which appears to be virtually set for a wholesale move from Houston.

After building Cedar Hill into a nationally prominent program with three Texas state high school football titles in the last 15 years, McGuire is almost always considered as an assistant possibility if there is a change at Texas, and Baylor or a Texas A&M or TCU revamp mix. McGuire is respected and well-known across the country. Oregon's new coach could consider McGuire just as much as someone in the SEC. The conversations with McGuire's future comes with the dozens of college coaches who visit Cedar Hill weekly looking at prospects.

McGuire made the call two years ago NOT to go to Texas as part of Charlie Strong's staff. McGuire said he couldn't pass up the opportunity to coach his son Garret McGuire for his last two years at Cedar Hill. Garret McGuire graduates this spring.

Will Joey McGuire stay at Cedar Hill or will he go?

"I have talked to a few, but (I'm) not just going to go to college just to do it," McGuire said. "Has to be with the right guy."

Background for those that do not know who Joey McGuire is..

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/whats-the...-him/366505604

Will he stay or will he go?
There is much speculation about the future of highly successful Cedar Hill football coach Joey McGuire. As college coaching staff shakeups take center stage, McGuire's future at Cedar Hill gets put in the spotlight. McGuire said he doesn't consider himself a candidate for the new Texas coach Tom Herman's staff, which appears to be virtually set for a wholesale move from Houston.

After building Cedar Hill into a nationally prominent program with three Texas state high school football titles in the last 15 years, McGuire is almost always considered as an assistant possibility if there is a change at Texas, and Baylor or a Texas A&M or TCU revamp mix. McGuire is respected and well-known across the country. Oregon's new coach could consider McGuire just as much as someone in the SEC. The conversations with McGuire's future comes with the dozens of college coaches who visit Cedar Hill weekly looking at prospects.

McGuire made the call two years ago NOT to go to Texas as part of Charlie Strong's staff. McGuire said he couldn't pass up the opportunity to coach his son Garret McGuire for his last two years at Cedar Hill. Garret McGuire graduates this spring.

Will Joey McGuire stay at Cedar Hill or will he go?

"I have talked to a few, but (I'm) not just going to go to college just to do it," McGuire said. "Has to be with the right guy."

Guess the right guy showed Joey the money

giphy.gif

Cedar Hill's Joey McGuire joins Matt Rhule's Baylor staff
By Michael Florek , Staff Writer Contact Michael Florekon Twitter:mad:michaelflorek

Cedar Hill head football coach Joey McGuire is leaving his program to join the Baylor coaching staff, three Cedar Hill players confirmed to The Dallas Morning News. McGuire has already informed the Cedar Hill team about the move to Waco. He is the third Texas high school coach to join Matt Rhule's new staff in Waco, joining David Wetzel (San Antonio Reagan) and former Baylor quarterback Shawn Bell (Cedar Ridge). ************* first reported the news.

According to one player, McGuire spoke to the team on Wednesday, telling them that his last high school game was with them, that he was taking a job at Baylor and that he was going to miss them.

Cedar Hill wide receiver Camron Buckley was late to the meeting.

"All I saw was that he was in tears," Buckley said.

McGuire, who posted a 141-42 record in his 14 years as the head coach at Cedar Hill and won state championships in 2006, 2013 and 2014, has been an in-demand candidate for various college staffs over the years. McGuire turned down an offer to join Texas as its tight ends and special teams coach in 2015.

Are these hires just to cement recruiting pipelines or will these coaches actually be able to implement Rhule's gameplans?

Are these hires just to cement recruiting pipelines or will these coaches actually be able to implement Rhule's gameplans?

So far the roles that the new hires will play are undefined so I'm guessing recruiting. Although, it would seem difficult to pull McGuire out of Cedar Hill simply for window dressing. His last state championship team had over 20 players sign with D1 programs. His current QB is a Notre Dame commit and he has a WR committed to OU.

Matt MosleyVerified account
‏@mattmosley
This @Coach_McGuire50 hire by Baylor has resonated with coaches across the state. What he did at Cedar Hill was remarkable.

Cedar Hill had never made it to the state playoffs until McGuire arrived.

Shawn Bell is from a long line of respected Texas HS coaches. His father has been at Waco area China Spring HS (with Shawn's younger brother on staff) for over 20 years and has one state championship to his credit. China Spring lost this past weekend in the state semi-finals (26-20 triple OT) to Carthage HS and former Baylor/current Ohio St LB commit Barren Browning. The younger Bell was noted laughing and chatting up Browning and his family after the game...three days later Shawn's hiring was announced.

Wetzel is the current head of the Tx HS Coaches Association, a position that Art Briles once had and used to find undervalued/underrated players for Tech, Houston and Baylor. Wetzel has the ears of coaches around the state...plus coached former Baylor/current A&M QB commit Kellen Mond.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Matt Rhule finally gets his 1st commit...2016 Houston Touchdown Club Defensive POY.

tweet.JPG

12-28-16, 09:27 AM #2
Coach Bear
Baylor fan (267 points)

Baylor is getting a gem with Trey

Last edited:
Starting to like this Matt Rhule guy. Hiring Shawn Bell is starting to pay off.

Bell flipped UofH CB commit Timarcus Davis (College Station HS) and SMU QB commit Charlie Brewer (Austin Lake Travis) today.

Davis holds offers from Arizona, Arkansas, Missouri, Okie Lite, Purdue, Utah among others.

Brewer comes from a long line of QBs and played at a QB factory. Charlie's grandfather, father and uncle were all starting QBs at Texas...pops beat Alabama in the Cotton Bowl. His bother Michael QBed Lake Travis to two State Championships before going to Texas Tech along with Baker Mayfield (also from Lake Travis). Michael later transferred to Va Tech (same year Mayfield transferred to OU).

Charlie was 1-1 in State Championships (lost to Katy HS in 2015 and thrashed The Woodlands in 2016) and was the Texas State Class 6A Offensive POY. At one point Charlie held offers from Oregon and Texas.

This recruiting class may not be a lost cause after all.

Happy New Years y'all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Starting to like this Matt Rhule guy. Hiring Shawn Bell is starting to pay off.

He flipped UofH CB commit Timarcus Davis (College Station HS) and SMU QB commit Charlie Brewer (Austin Lake Travis) today.

Davis holds offers from Arizona, Arkansas, Missouri, Okie Lite, Purdue, Utah among others.

Brewer comes from a long line of QBs and played at a QB factory. Charlie's grandfather, father and uncle were all starting QBs at Texas...pops beat Alabama in the Cotton Bowl. His bother Michael QBed Lake Travis to two State Championships before going to Texas Tech along with Baker Mayfield (also from Lake Travis). Michael later transferred to Va Tech (same year Mayfield transferred to OU).

Charlie was 1-1 in State Championships (lost to Katy HS in 2015 and thrashed The Woodlands in 2016) and was the Texas State Class 6A Offensive POY. At one point Charlie held offers from Oregon and Texas.

This recruiting class may not be a lost cause after all.

Happy New Years y'all.

I watched an interview during the bowl game and he seems like a likeable and knowledgeable coach...under the circumstances it looks like a great hire.

Rhule Nanes Co-Offensive Coordinator???

Jeff Nixon (coach)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jeff Nixon San Francisco 49ers
Position: Tight ends coach
Personal information
Date of birth: October 16, 1974 (age 42)
Place of birth: Rochester, Pennsylvania
Career information
High school: State College (PA)
College: Penn State
Career history
As coach:

Penn State (1997)
(Graduate assistant)
Princeton (1998)
(Running backs)
Shippensburg (1999–2002)
(Running backs)
Chattanooga (2003–2005)
(RB/TE/ST)
Temple (2006)
(Running backs/Wide receivers)
Philadelphia Eagles (2007–2010)
(Offensive/special teams assistant)
Miami Dolphins (2011–2015)
(Running backs)
San Francisco 49ers (2016–present)
(Tight ends)

Jeff Nixon is an American football tight ends coach of the San Francisco 49ers of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at West Virginia from 1993-1994 before transferring to Penn State, where he earned Dean’s List and Big Ten Conference All-Academic Team recognition. Nixon earned a degree in elementary education from Penn State in 1998 before receiving his master's degree in education administration from Shippensburg in 2003.[1]

Nixon began his coaching career in 1997 as a student assistant coach at Penn State. He was running backs coach at Princeton in 1998. Nixon served as running backs coach at Shippensburg from 1999-02. From 2003-05, he coached at Tennessee-Chattanooga, where he worked with the running backs, tight ends and as a special teams coordinator and recruiting coordinator. Nixon served as the running backs coach at Temple University in 2006. He was promoted to Wide Receivers Coach after the season. Nixon also spent the four seasons (2007–10) with the Philadelphia Eagles coaching staff where he was an assistant coach working with the special teams as well as the offense, with a focus on the running back position. Jeff Nixon was hired by the Miami Dolphins after being named running backs coach on January 20, 2011. He coached for the Miami Dolphins for 5 seasons. 2015 would be Nixon's last season with the Miami Dolphins. On January 26, 2016, he was hired by the San Francisco 49ers and new head coach Chip Kelly, to coach the tight ends position.[2]
Coaching tree

NFL head coaches under whom Jeff Nixon has served:

Andy Reid, Philadelphia Eagles (2007-2010)
Tony Sparano, Miami Dolphins (2011)
Joe Philbin, Miami Dolphins (2012-2015)
Chip Kelly, San Francisco 49ers (2016–present)

Hope the other Coordinator knows how to put points on the board. There's a reason that Saban hired Kiffin and Strong got fired at Texas.

Ex-Oregon OC Matt Lubick won't join Ole Miss after all, will become Baylor OC instead | FOX Sports

Ex-Oregon OC Matt Lubick won’t join Ole Miss after all, will become Baylor OC instead

Bruce Feldman
Jan 2, 2017 at 12:09p ET
Matt Lubick’s stay at Ole Miss will be brief.

The former Oregon offensive coordinator, who had accepted the job as the Rebels’ wide receivers coach two weeks ago, is leaving to become the OC at Baylor, a source told FOX Sports Monday morning.

Lubick will be receiving a two-year deal to join the Bears’ new coach, Matt Rhule. Word is, the chance to become an offensive coordinator at a Power 5 program again was something Lubick felt like he couldn’t pass up.

Even in a down year for Oregon, the Ducks still ranked No. 16 in total offense and No. 18 in yards per play in Lubick’s first season as OC, despite having an O-line with four freshmen starters and a true freshman quarterback.

As Oregon’s OC and wide receivers coach, the 44-year-old Lubick helped the Ducks post school-records for passing yards (4,687), completions (326), and first downs passing (198), while recording a conference all-time best 44 touchdown catches in 2014. At Duke, Lubick was a finalist for AFCA Assistant Coach of the Year after guiding All-ACC wideouts Jamison Crowder and Conner Vernon to record-setting seasons. At ASU, Lubick practically signed an entire recruiting class by himself as the team’s recruiting coordinator.

Lubick will be re-uniting with a former colleague from his Ole Miss days, George DeLeone, Baylor’s new O-line coach.

New Years Day commit:

John Marcus Carruthers. RB from IMG.

C1HSRX6UoAA8EPG.jpg

247 Sports has no ranking for the kid but he's best friends with former Baylor QB commit (current AnM commit) Kellen Mond. Baylor now has Mond''s former HS coach and his best friend...hope he follows their lead.

Shawn Bell working Central Texas hard:

Former USC commit, DT/DE James Lynch, Round Rock HS, 6'5, 286

Leaning toward Baylor. Offered by a ton of schools

Kevin Lonnquist ‏@baylorrivals
Recently decommitted from USC, Round Rock DE @JamesHusker38 tells us that he has been offered by #Baylor.

6'3, 233 OLB/ILB/DE

Brenham ILB Marqez Bimage (@BimageMarqez) has a final two of Baylor and Texas. Will OV to both next month.
------
‏@BimageMarqez
I would like to thank @CoachMattRhule for offering me a scholarship and a great education from Baylor University�� #SicEm

VN Store

Back