Why is it so hard to win at Texas now?

volberry

Mack Brown lost the last 4 years and Strong the last 3. That's 7 years. Is Texas not a good job anymore? Or is Strong not that good? Because Michigan, Bama, and Florida sucked before they got good coaches and they got good immediately. Strong is a good coach. I don't get it.

Reactions: 1 person
I think Strong is a good defensive coordinator. Some guys are just better off as coordinators. Strong probably fits in that category. You put the right guy at Texas and they'd be back quick..

Because the "we deserve more for our investment" crowd was given to opportunity to hire and fire. It undermines the whole program there

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Strong did great at Louisville. As did Petrino before and currently. That's obviously a good program. Why Texas can't make it happen?

Strong should have never left Louisville. Not that Louisville fans are complaining now. He just wasn't prepared for the high pressure atmosphere of a place like Texas. Makes me think he would have done the same thing here.

Reactions: 5 people
Yeah he flew under the radar at u of l. I guess you have to factor in that as well as coaching ability. You have to give instant results.

Strong needs to be at a place where he can focus on mainly recruiting the state of Florida imo.

Because the "we deserve more for our investment" crowd was given to opportunity to hire and fire. It undermines the whole program there

Thats the state of college football now. The new mantra is you have to win in 3-4 years, regardless of the situation, or you are fired.

Probably because coaching a college team is a lot harder than millions of obnoxious fans realize.

Reactions: 5 people
Thats the state of college football now. The new mantra is you have to win in 3-4 years, regardless of the situation, or you are fired.

Oh yeah I know that but Texas takes it to a different level. Texas has put whoever takes that job in a bad position. Charlie Strong pretty much wouldve had to go undefeated his first year to just unite the people footing the bills.

Strong should have never left Louisville. Not that Louisville fans are complaining now. He just wasn't prepared for the high pressure atmosphere of a place like Texas. Makes me think he would have done the same thing here.

Strong would have been a disaster at Tennessee. I think he probably knew he couldn't win here which is why he turned us down... He probably knew he couldn't win at Texas either but they offered him a $5 million per year contract and a $10.7 million guaranteed buyout.

Reactions: 7 people
A few of the other schools in Texas have gotten better, taking recruits and such. Also, Brown was bad, and left Strong with not a lot. And there's a huge difference from where he was and how he needed to build vs at Texas.

A few of the other schools in Texas have gotten better, taking recruits and such. Also, Brown was bad, and left Strong with not a lot. And there's a huge difference from where he was and how he needed to build vs at Texas.

Also when people around the program are putting out that you may be fired for the 2 years before you actually get fired, that hurts you in recruiting and staff upgrades

What I remember hearing when brown left was that Texas kids believe they've made it when they get that scholarship from UTA. After that many are content to coast and enjoy the perks that come from being on that team

Strong would have been a disaster at Tennessee. I think he probably knew he couldn't win here which is why he turned us down... He probably knew he couldn't win at Texas either but they offered him a $5 million per year contract and a $10.7 million guaranteed buyout.

BS. He turned us down bc we were a train wreck and of course he thought he would be successful at Texas. These coaches have massive egos, and it would be pretty logical to assume, if you can win at Louisville then you can win at Texas.

Charlie Strong is not a great coach. He caught lightning in a bottle with Teddy Bridgewater. Strong's record as coach is 53-36, but he was 30-9 with Teddy Bridgewater as QB. His record without Teddy is 23-27. Not a good coach if he doesn't have a great QB.

Reactions: 3 people
Much more competition for recruits than say LSU. And probably less cooks in the kitchen. All that said, TX should NEVER win less than 8 games in a season. That would be a rebuilding year. Looking back, I think Mack Brown would have still been there today, had Colt McCoy not have been injured during that 2010 BCS game. Texas would have won.

Charlie Strong is not a great coach. He caught lightning in a bottle with Teddy Bridgewater. Strong's record as coach is 53-36, but he was 30-9 with Teddy Bridgewater as QB. His record without Teddy is 23-27. Not a good coach if he doesn't have a great QB.

He had a lot more than Teddy. Those 2011/2012 classes were filled with studs. 2015 had like 10 UL draft picks.

$25 mill in 3 years is hard to pass up. It's worth it.

To get top qb recruits you have to be an offensive background. Because you understand them. That's why they top qb go to a&m , txtech, baylor, and okst in the areea.

VN Store

Back