Carson Newman Eagles Football?

Just wanted your guys opinion on what's happened to Carson Newman football? This team coached by Ken Sparks was always right at the top of the country year after year in NAIA competition & now Division II in the SAC conference. They were always ranked in the top 10 or no worse than top 15 every single season for year after year but in the last few years they have faltered bigtime. Always went to the playoffs every single year.

This season after losing today 31-30 to Tusculum they finished their regular season with a 4-7 record. They went either 8-2 to 10-0 for year after year for at least 20-25 seasons.

Ever since 2008 though they have fallen on hard times. Keep in mind, the Eagles have had a few players that have played in the NFL & most popular being Leonard Weaver(FB) playing for the Seahawks for a few years. Chris Jones is currently the Dallas Cowboys punter & graduated from Carson Newman.

In 2015 the Eagles did go 9-3 losing in the 1st round of the playoffs.

In 2014, they went 7-3 & didn't make the playoffs.

In 2013, they went 10-3 & made it all the way to the Division II 2nd Round losing to Lenior-Rhyne.

In 2012, the Eagles went 9-3 losing in the Quarterfinals of the playoffs to Valdosta State.

In 2011, they went 5-6 & didn't make the playoffs.

In 2010, they went 7-4 & again didn't make the playoffs.

In 2009, they finished 11-3 & lost in the Division II semi-finals against Grand Valley State.

I guess that overall from 2008 to 2016 doesn't look too bad but this is Carson Newman & didn't even make the playoffs for 3 of those years. That was the norm for them for year after year. Sparks is a great coach & he's getting a little age but I'm surprised to see he's still going.

I really think it's time for a change but how can you ask a legend like Ken Sparks to resign or fire him because of what he's done for the Eagles? He has been at C-N since 1980 which is 36 years. That's unheard of these days.

Even though they haven't made the playoffs in 3 of the last 8 years they did make it to the Division II semis in 2009. And, in 2012, they made the Quarterfinals of the Division II playoffs.

What's some opinions on whether Ken Sparks needs to go or some other type of changes need to be made to the football program? Thanks!

Edit(3-29-17): Coach Ken Sparks has passed away after a lengthy battle with cancer. Prayers to his family & friends.

I have posted a press release from CBJ in the last post(post #32) of this thread. RIP Coach Sparks & you will most certainly be missed.

Last edited:
Let it be, the man has been battling cancer for the last few years. C & N is not dependent on football to survive.

What a great ambassador Ken Sparks has been for C & N.

Let him go on his own terms, things will take their natural course

Reactions: 6 people
Listen Mr Morgan. Feeling out the waters on VolNation too see what the backlash would be for firing an icon and university ambassador like Ken Sparks isn't the right way to handle this. He's been sick and I'm sure it's a distraction. Man up and get behind him. If Sparks doesn't think there is anything left in the tank he will make that decision. If he's still there then at least right now he thinks he's got something left. If you fire him you might well be run out of the damn state.

(Sorry TB couldn't resist 😬 But I think the message is correct)

Last edited:
This has got to be Dave...

Nah, he didn't tell us about the game, ask us what we thought would happen, then tell us what he thinks will happen.

He also didn't give wrong scores and play by play, and like every one of his posts.

Reactions: 1 person
WOW, Tusculum beat them. They are getting better. CNU has always been competitive. They'll be back!

Let it be, the man has been battling cancer for the last few years. C & N is not dependent on football to survive.

What a great ambassador Ken Sparks has been for C & N.

Let him go on his own terms, things will take their natural course

Listen Mr Morgan. Feeling out the waters on VolNation too see what the backlash would be for firing an icon and university ambassador like Ken Sparks isn't the right way to handle this. He's been sick and I'm sure it's a distraction. Man up and get behind him. If Sparks doesn't think there is anything left in the tank he will make that decision. If he's still there then at least right now he thinks he's got something left. If you fire him you might well be run out of the damn state.

(Sorry TB couldn't resist 😬 But I think the message is correct)

Didn't ken sparks have cancer and have to leave the program?

First of all, I wasn't aware that Sparks had cancer. My prayers are with him & his family. I also wasn't trying to start a firestorm either over firing him. I asked if he should be fired & this was before you'll are telling me that he is sick.

I'm sorry about that but I don't keep up with all Tennessee sports closely as some. I just know Carson Newman has always been a powerhouse in what was the NAIA & now Division II. Thanks!

no
i think some injuries to key starters ruined their chances of a winning season plus just came up short a few times (Tusculuscum went for 2 in OT and got it to win). this is only his 2nd losing season at CN (the other being in 2011) so he's still in good footing. It's not like CN has the same demands as a major D1 football program. they are small fry football. kids will support that man 100% to the end. the AD would be hilariously foolish to fire a legend like Sparks, especially since he has been battling cancer. the backlash would be immense.

TB I was honestly joking with you on the post as I considered you didnt know his situation. That is why I said the message was correct. No offense or smack intended on my part man 💐

TB I was honestly joking with you on the post as I considered you didnt know his situation. That is why I said the message was correct. No offense or smack intended on my part man 💐

No problem buddy but that's awful for hearing the news. Do you happen to know what type of cancer that Ken Sparks has? I want to pray like I do for certain people specifically. Thank you.

No problem buddy but that's awful for hearing the news. Do you happen to know what type of cancer that Ken Sparks has? I want to pray like I do for certain people specifically. Thank you.

Sorry dont know the details just knew the status at a high level. Hope he pulls thru. I've always thought a great deal of Sparks. I think that's how a program should be ran.

I cant believe coach Sparks just announced retirement. Hes without a doubt, a college football coaching legend! Hopefully he gets plenty of thoughts and prayers while hes battling this cancer.

First of all, I wasn't aware that Sparks had cancer. My prayers are with him & his family. I also wasn't trying to start a firestorm either over firing him. I asked if he should be fired & this was before you'll are telling me that he is sick.

I'm sorry about that but I don't keep up with all Tennessee sports closely as some. I just know Carson Newman has always been a powerhouse in what was the NAIA & now Division II. Thanks!

So without knowing the facts you start a thread about firing a coach?? Of an NAIA school in the NCAA Forum??

Just stop.....

So without knowing the facts you start a thread about firing a coach?? Of an NAIA school in the NCAA Forum??

Just stop.....

I didn't know he had cancer dude! I was just asking for opinions on their football program situation. However, this was before me knowing he had cancer & I'm sorry about that.

Wasn't done intentional because of the timing either. Thanks! BTW, it should be posted in the NCAA Forum anyhow. Where else should it be posted there forum police?

I didn't know he had cancer dude! I was just asking for opinions on their football program situation. However, this was before me knowing he had cancer & I'm sorry about that.

Wasn't done intentional because of the timing either. Thanks! BTW, it should be posted in the NCAA Forum anyhow. Where else should it be posted there forum police?

wow...

Again, here's more help...And BTW, stating the obvious doesn't make someone "forum police"....

http://www.volnation.com/forum/sports-forum/

Again, here's more help...And BTW, stating the obvious doesn't make someone "forum police"....

http://www.volnation.com/forum/sports-forum/

Carson Newman & what's at topic here is not just the Sports Forum. It's the NCAA forum. They might be Division II but they're still in the NCAA right?

Placing it in the Sports Forum wouldn't have been the correct place. I said forum police because you didn't look at the whole picture about this thread.

I posted this asking about the program around the same time that it's announced Ken Sparks had cancer in which I didn't know. So, don't try to make me out the person that I ain't. Thanks!

Didn't ken sparks have cancer and have to leave the program?

Apparently this is something I had heard through the grape vine a little while back and didn't realize this wasn't something that had been reported yet. My heart goes out to him and his family. Congrats on a successful career coach sparks.

VN Store

Back