Top 5 college upsets in football of all time

TennFan

Mine would be:
1. Appachalain St vs. Michigan, 2007, 34-32
2. Boise St. vs. Oklahoma 2007, 43-42 (I actually picked this one)
3. James Madison vs. Virginia Tech 2010, 21-16
4. Carnegie Tech vs. Notre Dame 1926, 19-0
5. Notre Dame vs. Oklahoma 1957, 7-0

Stanford @ USC 2007, 24-23 - the largest betting line upset in history at 41 points

Alabama @ Penn 1922, 9-7 - first time that a Southern program had ever defeated a team north of the Mason-Dixon Line

Reactions: 1 person
No way OU-Boise is top-five. Sooners were only a touchdown favorite. USC-Stanford 2007 is certainly top-five.

Reactions: 5 people
"i know one"

nfl_a_peymants9_576.jpg

Reactions: 4 people
Ga southern beating Florida is a great upset. Certainly not top 5 all time but one of my favorites nonetheless

Reactions: 5 people
How about that time Bobby Bouchet showed up at half time and the Mud Dogs won the bourbon bowl?

I think the Mud Dogs were only catching 17 in that game. Big upset, but not the biggest of all time

Any list has to have App St/Michigan and the Stanford/USC game where USC was favored by nearly 6 TDs.

That game was not only in LA but USC came into it with a 35-game winning streak at home and Stanford was starting a backup QB who had never started a game in his college career.

Last edited:
I think the Mud Dogs were only catching 17 in that game. Big upset, but not the biggest of all time

Any list has to have App St/Michigan and the Stanford/USC game where USC was favored by nearly 6 TDs.

That game was not only in LA but USC came into it with a 35-game winning streak at home and Stanford was starting a backup QB who had never started a game in his college career.

Reminds me of our game against Kentucky when they broke the streak.

Reminds me of our game against Kentucky when they broke the streak.

In a way that aspect of our game was even more embarrassing. Wasn't their QB in that game a backup WR? At least the Stanford kid was actually a QB...

Mine would be:
1. Appachalain St vs. Michigan, 2007, 34-32
2. Boise St. vs. Oklahoma 2007, 43-42 (I actually picked this one)
3. James Madison vs. Virginia Tech 2010, 21-16
4. Carnegie Tech vs. Notre Dame 1926, 19-0
5. Notre Dame vs. Oklahoma 1957, 7-0

Memphis over UT in 1996 has to be higher than some if not most of these games.

Reactions: 6 people
Memphis over UT in 1996 has to be higher than some if not most of these games.

There it is. For some perspective:

In 2007, Michigan finished 9-4 and ranked in the top 20.
App St. finished the season 13-2 and won their 3rd consecutive NCAA Div I-AA National Championship.

In 1996, Tennessee finished the season at 10-2 and ranked #9 in both polls.
Memphis finished 4-7, in a crappy conference, against a crappy schedule.

I think Memphis is the bigger upset.

Ga southern beating Florida is a great upset. Certainly not top 5 all time but one of my favorites nonetheless

yeah, i probably wouldn't put it in the top 5, but it was pretty awesome.

the main thing that really gives it a solid possible argument for being in the conversation is the fact that they won without a single pass completion/yard.

Most fun upset in my lifetime: Boise State over Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl, about 10 years ago. Was really fun to watch.

Reactions: 1 person
Rutgers over Tennessee, at Tennessee, on homecoming 79(?).

In 1980, SI called it the biggest upset in CFB during the past decade.

In a way that aspect of our game was even more embarrassing. Wasn't their QB in that game a backup WR? At least the Stanford kid was actually a QB...

You're correct. He was a converted WR that I believe was moved back to the QB position just a week prior to the game with them.

Out of 62 plays for the KY offense, they rushed 56 times and we had no answer at all.

You're correct. He was a converted WR that I believe was moved back to the QB position just a week prior to the game with them.

Out of 62 plays for the KY offense, they rushed 56 times and we had no answer at all.

Well we only gave up 10 pts, let's not ignore the fact that our offense stayed in the locker room.

La. Tech over Alabama. Louisiana Monroe over Alabama.

La Tech was a huge upset in that Bama won the SEC that year. ULM wasn't near as big because Bama wasn't near as good.

Sort of like how Memphis over UT in '96 was a bigger upset than Wyoming in '08.

It's like for some reason we were still concerned with respecting the past, despite the way they had been playing the game.

VN Store

Back