Memphis Tigers will name Riley Ferguson starting QB for the season

I hope everything works out for him.

One question, the article says he's a junior. I thought he would have been a RS Sophomore.

Been hearing great things bout Riley here in Memphis gonna go watch him a few times.. Hope he does well

Reactions: 1 person

One question, the article says he's a junior. I thought he would have been a RS Sophomore.

He's the same class as Dobbs....unless he got a waiver from the NCAA he can only be one year behind him with a redshirt season.

Was he redshirted?

He was recruited in 2013. I think, though, because of the timing of the transfer from Tennessee in 2014 - possibly plus the whole attempt to end up at UNC-Charlotte falling through - he not only didn't play that year, but he wasn't even enrolled in school. Then he played for a JUCO school in 2015.

I think that maybe because of 2014, that's why he's considered a junior? (ESPN also notes him as just a junior, not a JR RS)

Ferguson is the most high-profile addition. A four-star recruit with a dozen Division I offers out of high school, he spent two years at Tennessee before leaving the program in 2014, one year after Butch Jones replaced Derek Dooley as head coach. Ferguson had intended to transfer to UNC-Charlotte to be closer to his hometown of Matthews, North Carolina.

"But it didn't work out," Ferguson told the Chattanooga Times Free Press in October. "I thought my football career was over."

Ferguson held a few different jobs, including detailing cars and working for an aluminum fence company, before enrolling at Coffeyville Community College in Kansas in March. He completed 67.8 percent of his passes there this season, throwing for 2,942 yards and 35 touchdowns with only six interceptions. He had offers from Iowa State and Temple, according to 247Sports.com, and reportedly received interest from Texas this month.

University of Memphis signs four players including highly touted JUCO quarterback

He's the same class as Dobbs....unless he got a waiver from the NCAA he can only be one year behind him with a redshirt season.

Was he redshirted? Could it be - because of the timing of the transfer plus not being enrolled anywhere at all in 2014 - that his year of work between UT and JUCO didn't cost him a year?

He was redshirted in 2013 and skipped that next year of school. So unless he enrolled for classes at UNC Charlotte for a semester, he should have been a RS Freshman going into Coffeeville CC.

I believe he actually should have three years of eligibility left.

He was redshirted in 2013 and skipped that next year of school. So unless he enrolled for classes at UNC Charlotte for a semester, he should have been a RS Freshman going into Coffeeville CC.

I believe he actually should have three years of eligibility left.

Ah, I didn't realize he skipped a year of school. Pretty impressive and a testament to his skills that he was able to sit out of college football entirely and make his way back to starting quarterback of a D1 program.

Their over-under is about 6.5 wins. That's what I've seen. So hopefully the tiger high fans aren't expecting another 10 win yr.

VN Store

Back