He's back - Spurrier named ambassador / consultant at UF

Just what McElwain needs. It'll be like having your mother-in-law in the back seat during a cross country road trip!

Reactions: 2 people
The University of Florida will welcome back Steve Spurrier ... the man who put Gators football on the map.
Spurrier, who won a Heisman as a player and then came back and coached Florida to glory — picking at, poking fun at and beating rivals Tennessee, the rest of the SEC and Florida State all the while — has been named Ambassador and Consultant for the Florida Gators Athletic Department, Jeremy Foley announced on Friday.

I found that at usatoday.. sure it's all over..

They probably figure they need him to beat SC now because of all the inside info he can provide on the 'cocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I've never been able to generate the hate for Spurrier that some of you have. I hated what he did to us at Florida, loved to see that visor get tossed, but I always enjoyed the passion, skills and even some of the verbal jabs that he brought to the SEC.

Reactions: 5 people
Will Spurrier leave his ambassador position mid season if UF starts losing many games?

Reactions: 1 person
I bet Spurrier had more wins in Neyland than Dooley.

Thank God, you bet wrong.

Yes, Dooley was incompetent, but he was still Tennessee's coach in Tennessee's home stadium.

He went 13-9 in Neyland over his disastrous 3 years.

Spurrier had a losing record in Neyland: 5-6. That's 3-3 as the Florida coach, and 2-3 (would've been 2-4 if he hadn't quit mid-season on them) as the Gamecocks coach.

SIAP. Saw yesterday that Spurrier was hired by UF as ambassador to the athletic department. Says he wasn't coaching. Today he says QB starting position is Del Rio's to lose. Seems somebody lied.

SIAP. Saw yesterday that Spurrier was hired by UF as ambassador to the athletic department. Says he wasn't coaching. Today he says QB starting position is Del Rio's to lose. Seems somebody lied.

The man should've stayed at Florida until he retired. He'd probably have 1 or two more natty's.

VN Store

Back