Georgia Dome, home of SEC Championship, set to be demolished

Screw that. Haven't won a game that mattered there since 1998.

Blow it up

Edit: Forgot about the Dooley - NC State game.

I'd prefer to win the last SECCG held in the Georgia Dome.

And the first SECCG that will be held in the Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

Reactions: 5 people
Crazy that a stadium only about 25 years old is already being demolished, and Atlanta has 2 of them happening.

I personally liked the Georgia Dome, and Turner Field seemed like a nice park when I went earlier this year.

LOVE that place...awesome memories in that building...

SEC Football Title Game (94, 95, 96, 00, 06, 08)
Summer Olympics (96)
SEC Basketball Tournament (05, 07)
Final Four (07)

Personally I thought the Georgia Dome was a bit of an eye sore. It had the unfortunate demise of being built just before the retractable roof era. The Mercedes Benz Stadium does look amazing.

Personally I thought the Georgia Dome was a bit of an eye sore. It had the unfortunate demise of being built just before the retractable roof era. The Mercedes Benz Stadium does look amazing.

I have gotten a tour, the amount of steel is mind boggling. 60'-0" tall trusses.

It wasn't the greatest on the outside but I though the inside was pretty nice.

Does the new one have a retractable roof ?

Yes it will. Here are some photos from June

June-aerial-3-1200x838.jpg

June-aerial-9-1200x838.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
LOVE that place...awesome memories in that building...

SEC Football Title Game (94, 95, 96, 00, 06, 08)
Summer Olympics (96)
SEC Basketball Tournament (05, 07)
Final Four (07)

Olympics yes, those other numbers you threw out there, well blah!

Witnessed Duke beat UNC court side by 26 in 2001. Loved it. My only experience in the dome. I hope that changes in December 3rd or 31st.

The Georgia Dome was completed in 1992. A mere 25 years of use before it's razed for parking.

The Ted is another story. The '96 Olympic Stadium was built with its eventual conversion in mind. The Ted was able to host baseball for the 1997 season. At it's debut, it was the crown jewel of MLB, with beautiful sight lines, excellent pedestrian fan flow, and it's own brew pub. Awesome.

Yes, the Ted would have benefited from some upgrades just 15 years in - staff, team, and VIP parking; tweaking the suits; rapid trans; some redevelopment in the immediate vicinity. All this was/is possible but for prideful head butting between the Braves and the Atlanta Fulton County Recreational Authority (indefensible political patronage jobs given to people who haven't qualifications or a clue).

Now, the Head of the Cobb County Commission who engineered the Braves relocation and issuance of bonds without popular vote has lost his job in the recent election. The surrounding development plans have been pared down. The greed for revenues has prompted an ordinance denying nearby properties from renting out their parking spaces during games. Fubar.

Meanwhile, Atlanta powers that be are deciding the fate of the Ted in the manner of distant relatives arguing over the disposition of a decedent's estate. Snafu.

So, the Mercedes Benz Stadium, future home of the Atlanta Falcons, will become the new home for the SEC Championship game?

Thanks! :hi: BTW, who would like to see this championship game moved? Like as in moved to a different site each season? I think that would be cool.

It might be hard to find a neutral site for each year but I'm sure it could be done. There's neutral sites they could use from each SEC state I'm pretty sure.

Oh well, it's done thru 2027 so no need to talk about it again for a good while. :)

Last edited:

VN Store

Back