The Big XII wants to expand after all

Other than BYU, there are no good options out there. And even BYU comes with the "no sports on Sunday" issue.

Memphis has FedEx and a large regional market on their side, the latter is true for Cincinatti as well. Houston would make a fine addition, but, as others have said, Texas stands in the way of that.

BYU and Boise are so far out there it seems like travel might pose some problems, among other things.

"It's a forward step, a positive step," said Oklahoma president and board chair David Boren, who has been the most outspoken proponent for Big 12 expansion. "Not yet a decision ... but it shows momentum on the board to consider [expansion] as a possibility."

Memphis has FedEx and a large regional market on their side, the latter is true for Cincinatti as well. Houston would make a fine addition, but, as others have said, Texas stands in the way of that.

BYU and Boise are so far out there it seems like travel might pose some problems, among other things.

I feel Boise won't be receiving real consideration for more reasons than just this.

BYU, Houston, Cincy, and Memphis.

Gives the Big 12 the Salt Lake, Cincinnati, and Memphis markets. Also, Memphis may not be the best of those candidates but FedEx and Fred Smith will buy Memphis into the Big 12. Count on it.

BYU, Houston, Cincy, and Memphis.

Gives the Big 12 the Salt Lake, Cincinnati, and Memphis markets. Also, Memphis may not be the best of those candidates but FedEx and Fred Smith will buy Memphis into the Big 12. Count on it.
There is a story in the CA that makes me fully believe that FedEx would love the chance to buy their way in. I imagine that Big 12 or 14 championship will need a sponsor.

If the Big 12 was smart...huge if, they would invite:

Houston. If the SEC ever looked at another expansion (which I know it has no plans to) they would probably take a hard look at Houston. It expands their footprint into Texas even further. Preempt the move by taking in Houston first.

BYU. The Sunday game thing would be a nightmare to schedule around, but all in all, it's a national brand with a passionate fan base that won't hurt them in the least.

Central Florida. Expands the footprint of the Big 12 into Florida which will only help recruiting in the long run. As well as the TV market in Orlando being nice to add.

Memphis. Pushes them into a traditional SEC stronghold and recruiting base.

And if the Big 12 was really smart, they would make a move for Texas to give up the Longhorn Network in lieu of a Big XII Network. Which Texas certainly won't do voluntarily since it's being paid nice money by ESPN to keep it. Texas sees the royalties rolling in while the remainder of the conference fumes on the sidelines. If there ever is a time to force the issue with Texas, it's right now since they aren't the dominate team in the conference and can't dictate terms like they could before.

There is a story in the CA that makes me fully believe that FedEx would love the chance to buy their way in. I imagine that Big 12 or 14 championship will need a sponsor.

That's exactly what I'm expecting. The Big 14 championship sponsored by FedEx.

I don't think BYU is even an option because BYU wanted to be a football only member but the Big 12 has already told them they only want full members, and BYU won't commit the full membership because of the no Sunday thing.

If the Big 12 was smart...huge if, they would invite:

Houston. If the SEC ever looked at another expansion (which I know it has no plans to) they would probably take a hard look at Houston. It expands their footprint into Texas even further. Preempt the move by taking in Houston first.

I'm just not seeing how a fifth team in TX helps the conference. Is ESPN or Fox going to throw an extra 30 mill per year to get a market they're already in?

And the SEC has no reason to look at Houston. Not only in the league already in the state, but A&M is only 90 miles from Houston, and is the dominant alumni base in that city. UH provides nothing to the SEC.

BYU. The Sunday game thing would be a nightmare to schedule around, but all in all, it's a national brand with a passionate fan base that won't hurt them in the least.

Definitely agree. There has to be a way to work around the Sunday issue.

Central Florida. Expands the footprint of the Big 12 into Florida which will only help recruiting in the long run. As well as the TV market in Orlando being nice to add.

I would go after Cincinnati first, but UCF would be a mediocre add as opposed to a terrible add.

Memphis. Pushes them into a traditional SEC stronghold and recruiting base.

Getting UM wouldn't move the needle for the Big XII. They are, at best, the 4th most popular program in their own city. The FedEx money might be nice, but will it make up for the dilution of the TV revenue?

The problem with the Sunday issue for BYU is, it wouldn't just be for football, they'd have to work around it in every sport, and I don't see that happening.

The problem with the Sunday issue for BYU is, it wouldn't just be for football, they'd have to work around it in every sport, and I don't see that happening.

It really only matters for TV. As mentioned, football is not an issue, and the the Big XII's most recent contract with ESPN has most of the basketball games on Saturdays and Tuesdays, and the Big XII tourney ends on Saturday.

It may matter for baseball, women's b-ball, etc, but since those sports get limited TV exposure, it shouldn't be overly difficult to keep BYU off of Sundays.

Believe it or not, the NYT did a study of the most popular teams by zip code a few years ago. Memphis has the largest fanbase in the metro. Once you get past the counties that border Shelby county, then it's all Tennessee.

You mean the ncaa has been scheduling BYU on the Thur - Sat format when they make the tourney?

I think BYU needs to keep standing in that independent corner with Notre Dame.

Houston feels like a sleeping giant if they could just get the invite. But the big 12 is one discombobulated organizational mess.

VN Store

Back