NCAA Board of Directors rescinds ban on satellite camps

I'd like to see us set up camps in south fl, texas, and California

If I recall correctly, one if the factors in the original decision was the threat of the SEC unleashing their resources into satelite camps. I would be shocked if we don't see us and the rest of the SEC go on a natiowide tour of these camps.

If I recall correctly, one if the factors in the original decision was the threat of the SEC unleashing their resources into satelite camps. I would be shocked if we don't see us and the rest of the SEC go on a natiowide tour of these camps.

Apparently the SEC is lifting the ban at the end of next month.

Reactions: 2 people
Was reading about this and of course they only talk about what Nick Saban thinks about the camps. ESPN loves them some Saban

Reactions: 3 people
I think this will benefit every team that's not located in GA, FL, LA, CA and Texas. FL especially sense they are already competing with the likes of FSU & the U.

This is exactly what will happen.

One conference voted for these camps. Why take it to a vote?

It was more than the Big 10; the vote itself was 10-5.

But some controversy came up about a week ago, though, because it was revealed that at the actual vote two of the reps - the PAC-12 rep and the Sun Belt rep - voted for the ban against the actual wishes of their conferences.

Satellite camp saga deepens as Pac-12 commish reveals new information

In the PAC-12's case, the commissioner Larry Scott revealed that the conference's vote actually had been along the lines of 11 of the 12 schools in favor of satellite camps, with 1 vote against them made by the UCLA AD...who was also the PAC-12 rep for the main vote.

The Sunbelt rep apparently did the same, meaning that the 10-5 vote to ban should have actually been an 8-7 vote not to ban (power conference votes count double in this). (There's some thought that possibly the SEC might have threatened to discontinue games against the Sunbelt teams had the Sunbelt not voted to ban...but that's just supposition at this point).

But afterwards- and what probably led to the ban actually being rescinded- the US Department of Justice started an informal inquiry... calling college football coaches, conference commissioners, and college administrators.

U.S. Department of Justice to take a peak at satellite ban

One of the sources told the publication that what sparked the DOJÂ’s interest was whether the NCAAÂ’s ban negatively impacts opportunities for prospective athletes to have exposure or access to college football coaches.

That's probably what changed all this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

I think you've got it backwards. Wasn't our conference one of the ones voting for the ban, with rules in the conference itself against members doing such?

I'd like to see us set up camps in south fl, texas, and California

My first reaction is it seems the NCAA cannot make up their minds.The whole chain of events makes them seem more inept than before.

However, if the camps are going to happen, I think Jim Harbaugh is going to learn two things; First, anything he can do, we can do bigger and better. Second, he is going to learn his employer's brand does not carry as much clout as he thinks outside of the B10 footprint.

S Florida, Texas, & California are obvious choices.

Three metropolitan areas in B10 country worth considering: Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia. There are still good HS programs in and around those cities.

It was more than the Big 10; the vote itself was 10-5.

But some controversy came up about a week ago, though, because it was revealed that at the actual vote two of the reps - the PAC-12 rep and the Sun Belt rep - voted for the ban against the actual wishes of their conferences. In the PAC-12's case, the commissioner Larry Scott revealed that the conference's vote actually had been along the lines of 11 of the 12 schools in favor of satellite camps, with 1 vote against them made by the UCLA AD...who was also the PAC-12 rep for the main vote.

The Sunbelt rep apparently did the same, meaning that the 10-5 vote to ban should have actually been an 8-7 vote not to ban (power conference votes count double in this). (There's some thought that possibly the SEC might have threatened to discontinue games against the Sunbelt teams had the Sunbelt not voted to ban...but that's just supposition at this point).

Satellite camp saga deepens as Pac-12 commish reveals new information

But afterwards- and what probably led to the ban actually being rescinded- the US Department of Justice started an informal inquiry... calling college football coaches, conference commissioners, and college administrators.

U.S. Department of Justice to take a peak at satellite ban

That's probably what changed all this.

If the government is sticking their noses in it again, no wonder stupid decisions are being made again.SMH

My first reaction is it seems the NCAA cannot make up their minds.The whole chain of events makes them seem more inept than before.

However, if the camps are going to happen, I think Jim Harbaugh is going to learn two things; First, anything he can do, we can do bigger and better. Second, he is going to learn his employer's brand does not carry as much clout as he thinks outside of the B10 footprint.

Three metropolitan areas in B10 country worth considering: Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia. There are still good HS programs in and around those cities.

Well the PAC-12 and Sunbelt reps not voting along their conference's actual voting results and the DOJ informal investigation were probably more what went on than the NCAA having indecisiveness.

If the government is sticking their noses in it again, no wonder stupid decisions are being made again.SMH

The ban also shouldn't have passed, though.

The PAC-12 officials voted 11-1 against the ban, but because their rep to the Division I council was already the one AD (UCLA) that cast the opposite vote, he voted instead in his own interests and thus misrepresented the conference's wishes at the actual vote. The Sunbelt rep did something similar and cast a vote against the conference's wishes.

Instead of the 10-5 for ban to later be enacted, it should actually have been 8-7 against a ban being enacted.

Once that came out publicly (along with the DOJ informally beginning to investigate), the NCAA pretty much had to cancel going through with the ban.

Last edited:
The ban also shouldn't have passed, though.

The PAC-12 officials voted 11-1 against the ban, but because their rep to the Division I council was already the one AD (UCLA) that cast the opposite vote, he instead voted in his own interests and in turn misrepresented the conference's wishes at the actual vote. The Sunbelt rep did something similar and cast a vote against the conference's wishes.

Instead of the 10-5 for ban to later be enacted, it should actually have been 8-7 against a ban being enacted.

Once that came out publicly (along with the DOJ informally beginning to investigate), the NCAA pretty much had to cancel going through with the ban.

Well, if either of those guys are fired, then they'll quickly be picked up to work for delegate counting for either of the national political parties.

Harbaugh doesn't give a flip what his brand is outside his footprint. He simply wants to land a few more recruits from the football factories where he holds camps. That will be plenty.

Good decision. Talent is a major component of success in FB. A lot of the talent comes from certain geographic areas. The schools already in those geographic areas have an advantage if outside schools can't come in and provide the same services. Some of these kids can't afford to travel to a specific school's camp, so what's wrong with the school bringing the camp to the kid?

If UofM or OSU or Oregon want to spend the money to have a satellite camp in Georgia, or Texas, or Florida, good for them.

I think UofM (and OSU in the Big 10) carry pretty big weight throughout the entire country. Just because you may not like them doesn't mean you should discount what they actually bring to the table nationally. Even when Brady Hoke was coaching they had top 10-15 recruiting classes.

Now Michigan St, Wisconsin, Iowa, Purdue...yeah, they lose value outside the Big 10 foot print. But it would be wrong to think UofM doesn't have as much clout outside the Big 10 foot print as it does in it. Same for OSU. Those are two schools that can recruit against anyone anywhere.

VN Store

Back