6 straight #1 classes. At what point should investigations start?

BigOrangeTrain

Morior Invictus
So Alabama has yet again signed the #1 recruiting class. Thats 6 years straight. That's unprecedented. For sports that do recruit, I dont know if something like this has ever been done.

Alabama is a CFB powerhouse under Saban. With multiple national championships, great w/l record and a great propensity of putting guys in the NFL. I get it. But, all that being said, at what point does the NCAA get its head out of its azz and really start looking at them? I mean seriously, 6 straight years?? Now I can see getting the top classes a couple of years in a row. I can see signing the top class after winning a national title. But 6 straight top classes? I am sorry, but something isnt right.

Reactions: 2 people
Can we just say all P5 schools do it to some extent. But most of the kids going to Alabama know they have a gteat chance to go pro. Two Heisman's in how many years? Win and they will come. Plus Saban is a great ambassador for the school. Would you want to play for Dooley or Mushchamp?

Reactions: 3 people
I dont think its ALL about money. I know you're a Bama fan but even you have to admit that this is getting a little ridiculous.

Then what is it about? I'm not denying anything, or burying my head in the sand. But if you're suggesting that Bama is doing something worthy of an investigation, what is it besides money that has you concerned?

Can we just say all P5 schools do it to some extent. But most of the kids going to Alabama know they have a gteat chance to go pro. Two Heisman's in how many years? Win and they will come. Plus Saban is a great ambassador for the school. Would you want to play for Dooley or Mushchamp?

I think most P5 schools do it, including UT. But you dont find it strange that Bama lands #1 classes even after losing bowl games?

Urban Meyer has won a lot at OSU. He even won the NC and failed to sign the top class the next year. I agree win and they will come. But at some point that has to apply to every other team that wins and it just doesnt.

The Bama machine is just feeding itself at this point.

Historically, they are the top CFB program of the modern era. They have the best coach in CFB. They have the best facilities in CFB. They have the highest staff salaries in CFB. They have 4 titles in 7 seasons. They are located in a state that produces multiple 5* players every season and is only an hour or two drive from even more highly fertile recruiting areas. They can recruit nationally when they can't find the perfect 5* guy in their own backyard. They produce multiple All-Americans, All-SEC players, and high NFL draft picks every season. Their success is just breeding more success, and Saban isn't wired to get complacent or rest on his laurels.

Reactions: 6 people
They are #1 for six straight years because the ranking empires want them to be. They could easily be 2, 3, 4, 5 any or all of those years. Just change some 5's to 4's, some 4's to 3's and there you go. It's all just judgement skewed to sell papers.

The Bama machine is just feeding itself at this point.

Historically, they are the top CFB program of the modern era. They have the best coach in CFB. They have the best facilities in CFB. They have the highest staff salaries in CFB. They have 4 titles in 7 seasons. They are located in a state that produces multiple 5* players every season and is only an hour or two drive from even more highly fertile recruiting areas. They can recruit nationally when they can't find the perfect 5* guy in their own backyard. They produce multiple All-Americans, All-SEC players, and high NFL draft picks every season. Their success is just breeding more success, and Saban isn't wired to get complacent or rest on his laurels.

Bingo

Then what is it about? I'm not denying anything, or burying my head in the sand. But if you're suggesting that Bama is doing something worthy of an investigation, what is it besides money that has you concerned?

Maybe it is just money. If that is the case then UT needs to open up their check book. FYI, I fully believe all major D1 schools give money to players under the table. I am not singling out Bama for that.

Dont get me wrong, Saban is one of the greatest coaches of all time, no denying that. And I can fully understand why great players want to play for him.

Like I said though, at some point this unprecedented run has to at least raise a red flag. Wouldnt you agree? All bias aside.

Maybe it is just money. If that is the case then UT needs to open up their check book. FYI, I fully believe all major D1 schools give money to players under the table. I am not singling out Bama for that.

Dont get me wrong, Saban is one of the greatest coaches of all time, no denying that. And I can fully understand why great players want to play for him.

Like I said though, at some point this unprecedented run has to at least raise a red flag. Wouldnt you agree? All bias aside.

Not really disagreeing. But the NCAA is done with enforcement for the foreseeable future. It may not be open season, but it's close.

I think most P5 schools do it, including UT. But you dont find it strange that Bama lands #1 classes even after losing bowl games?

Urban Meyer has won a lot at OSU. He even won the NC and failed to sign the top class the next year. I agree win and they will come. But at some point that has to apply to every other team that wins and it just doesnt.

Just focus and support UT, all sports whether you like them or not. Alabama are like a turnstile every day 4 and 5 stars lining up begging to go there. At some point it will change, when it does it does. We can argue until 2030 about Saban. Like it or not it is what it is. They got what they paid for. We seem to be on the right track especially with the recent coaching hires. I could careless how much or how, all schools do it and have for years. Nothing new.

It will take someone internal who is disgruntled and or Saban retiring. Recruits want to go other places but somebody has to knock them off first. Otherwise it's too obvious a pick for them. Every recruit he has signed has WON a NC. Nobody can match that.

Last edited:
I hate them as much as the next vol, but do you think we wouldn't be in the same spot with what 3 championships in the last 5-10 years? They know they can potentially play for the title every year and scouts with know their name as well

Who the f*** wants to live in Ohio?

Would like to see an inventory of all the player's cars at the football complex. Probably looks like the valet lot at Spago's.

Reactions: 2 people
Never. It's Alabama. NCAA is going to make Ole Miss take the fall (Which obviously there is some cheating going on there anyways as well)

What's to investigate?

As much as I loathe Bama and every #1 class feels like another gut punch, it seems obvious; Coaching, tradition, recent titles and early round NFL draft picks.

All the above will just make our upset of them at Neyland this upcoming season that much sweeter!!! If we manage to pull off 2 W's (another in the SEC champ game), then hopefully soon folks will start questioning our consecutive #1 classes!

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back