Is Next Year Make or Break for Pearl

VolnJC

Last year he was 15-20 and this year he is 9-10 and more than likely, won't make even the NIT..with Auburn paying him 15 million, is next year it for him without a tourney bid?

Reactions: 1 person
Remember when everyone here thought he was the best coach in the world and thought the world was gonna end if he didn't come back?

Reactions: 4 people
He needs better assistant coaches around him. Shay, Forbes, and Jones were an outstanding group. Junior is not worthy. Should have spent a lot more time on UT's bench and no time on Auburn's.

Reactions: 2 people
Who else would they hire ? Seems SEC schools have alot of trouble getting home run hires for basketball (except of course UK)

It's only going to get harder for him now that he has in-state competition in recruiting with a former NBA Coach of the Year. His best days are well behind him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Remember when everyone here thought he was the best coach in the world and thought the world was gonna end if he didn't come back?

As much as he did for the Vols, his coaching abilities seemed to have declined once Lofton and Bradshaw were gone. I think he recruits the wrong guys for his system and takes players with raw talent that struggle to learn.

It's only going to get harder for him now that he has in-state competition in recruiting with a former NBA championship coach. His best days are well behind him.

You talking about as a player? Cause Johnson didn't win a championship as HC of Dallas. That aside I still think he was a HR hire for where Bama basketball has been.

It's Auburn. They aren't canning him after 3 seasons. I seriously doubt they expect him to be an elite SEC program anytime soon, they probably want him to get the program to respectable levels.

Again, it's Auburn.

Beating Kentucky probably bought him some breathing room. I don't think he's going anywhere soon though. He'll get a solid 3 years at least.

I didn't think about that..Memphis is down but I think you can win there easier than Auburn

Unless Pastner jumps himself, Memphis doesn't have the money. Pastner has a $10.6 million buyout, and Pearl has a $5 million buyout to take him on top of a few million in salary.

Pearl has a top 10-15 class coming in. Auburn made an investment and will give him time. I think he has made progress; just at a slower pace than at UT.

Pearl's success created a phenomenon. UT fans have certain expectations for their own school, and they also expect Pearl to win at a place like Auburn just as he did at UT. Some people don't realize just how special that run was. It was the best in school history.

Pearl has a top 10-15 class coming in. Auburn made an investment and will give him time. I think he has made progress; just at a slower pace than at UT.

Pearl's success created a phenomenon. UT fans have certain expectations for their own school, and they also expect Pearl to win at a place like Auburn just as he did at UT. Some people don't realize just how special that run was. It was the best in school history.

Yeah, but I don't think that first team here had a lot of talent and he still won plus he had won twenty games a year every year he was a coach..I don't think they were expecting a twenty loss season..they are better and I've heard attendance is really good so that should help him
Bruce Pearl Coaching Record | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Yeah, but I don't think that first team here had a lot of talent and he still won plus he had won twenty games a year every year he was a coach..I don't think they were expecting a twenty loss season..they are better and I've heard attendance is really good so that should help him
Bruce Pearl Coaching Record | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

I disagree. There weren't many backcourts in college basketball better than CJ Watson and Chris Lofton in '05-'06. Throw in Major Wingate, Dane Bradshaw and JaJuan Smith and that was a very talented team - not NBA talent but very solid college players. Bruce Pearl did a great job pulling that team together from the start but the talent he inherited was just fine.

I disagree. There weren't many backcourts in college basketball better than CJ Watson and Chris Lofton in '05-'06. Throw in Major Wingate, Dane Bradshaw and JaJuan Smith and that was a very talented team - not NBA talent but very solid college players. Bruce Pearl did a great job pulling that team together from the start but the talent he inherited was just fine.

Yes. He did have an NBA point guard in CJ Watson.

VN Store

Back