California Basketball Has 3 Lottery Picks

VolnJC

Cal has arguably the most talented roster in the NCAA and was ranked #14 in the preseason poll.

Cal is 12-6 and have lost 3 in a row..Cal is tied for 8th in the PAC-12 with a 2-3 record..

So do we miss Cuonzo like the reporter asks? I say no..I also don't miss Pearl and Tindell.

If Martin's first season in Berkeley was about acclimating himself to a new program in a completely different part of the country, his second season is about showing Tennessee what it missed out on
Cal is the closest thing to an NBA team in college basketball - SBNation.com

Cal has arguably the most talented roster in the NCAA and was ranked #14 in the preseason poll.

Cal is 12-6 and have lost 3 in a row..Cal is tied for 8th in the PAC-12 with a 2-3 record..

So do we miss Cuonzo like the reporter asks? I say no..I also don't miss Pearl and Tindell.

If Martin's first season in Berkeley was about acclimating himself to a new program in a completely different part of the country, his second season is about showing Tennessee what it missed out on
Cal is the closest thing to an NBA team in college basketball - SBNation.com

Watching cal is like watching the lady vols. The offensive coaching is terrible.

Doesn't look like we're missing anything; looks like almost exactly what we saw here, only worse.

Reactions: 1 person
Watching cal is like watching the lady vols. The offensive coaching is terrible.

I watched that game last night vs Stanford and even the announcers said.."I really don't understand what their doing"..they just seemed to pass it around the perimeter and then shot a 3...think they took something like 30 shots from out there...and Stanford was missing their point guard and one of their top bench players to injury

Does he still give that mean stare and act like his team is hard core. I never liked CM, I thought his tactics were fake and he wanted to come across as street tough. I'm sorry, you're making 7 figures as a college basketball coach, street cred was list a while ago. Average coach with great talent who doesn't produce

I really didn't have any issue with Cuonzo when he left. It was time for him to go, because it was clear he brought nothing special to this place and, UT is just one of those places that requires someone fairly special to really succeed at basketball.

But after he showed his rear to us, I said "screw it." The man's anger towards us is unfounded, as it shows an acute lack of self-awareness. He has no clue what a lackluster failure he was here and that his style of coaching and interacting with fanbases will not succeed (unless it is dramatically revised).

Hopefully this impending failure at Cal will wake him up. I don't think he's a bad guy; I just think he doesn't have a very good grasp on what he really is or is all about. (In other words, he needs to get rid of this false sense of self he evidently has.)

Reactions: 2 people
ESPN announcers sure did love them some Cuonzo and Cal tonight...kept talking about 3 lottery picks and how great they were on defense..final Utah 73 Cal 64
They are now 14-7 and 8th in the PAC-12..not terrible but this team was preseason #14 and picked to win the PAC-12..so no I'm still not missing Cuonzo here

Reactions: 3 people
ESPN announcers sure did love them some Cuonzo and Cal tonight...kept talking about 3 lottery picks and how great they were on defense..final Utah 73 Cal 64
They are now 14-7 and 8th in the PAC-12..not terrible but this team was preseason #14 and picked to win the PAC-12..so no I'm still not missing Cuonzo here

14-7? That's a familiar trend. Not scoring the ball enough I suppose.

Reactions: 2 people
14-7? That's a familiar trend. Not scoring the ball enough I suppose.

I think Cuonzo is a good defensive coach but he is a poor gameday coach...they were down 10 with two minutes left, running their regular offense and using most of the clock, not calling time outs, and not fouling until it was too late to come back

I think Cuonzo is a good defensive coach but he is a poor gameday coach...they were down 10 with two minutes left, running their regular offense and using most of the clock, not calling time outs, and not fouling until it was too late to come back

I really want to pull for the guy to do well, but the bashing of UT by the media and game commentators makes me want California to crash and burn.

Cal loses again and is now 14-8...or as they say on the bubble for the NCAA..natives are getting restless they expected a PAC-12 championship this year

You just need a coach who can win more than 3 road games in conference, over two seasons.

I really want to pull for the guy to do well, but the bashing of UT by the media and game commentators makes me want California to crash and burn.

Even though I knew it was time to part ways, I wished Martin well and hoped he would succeed, until he started that ESPN campaign against Tennessee, associating HIS decision to leave here with our racism and intolerance.

No, Cuonzo, it was not because of our racism or intolerance. It was because of the reasons why you're also failing at - and ultimately going to be a failure at - Cal. You're an average coach at best, who isn't nearly proactive enough with the fan base. Not being proactive with the fan base may purchase you an extra year or two out here at Cal, where no one gives a dog's snot about sports and no one has watched a Cal game since Jason Kidd, but your mediocre coaching will ultimately dispatch you here as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Cal loses again and is now 14-8...or as they say on the bubble for the NCAA..natives are getting restless they expected a PAC-12 championship this year

You just need a coach who can win more than 3 road games in conference, over two seasons.

I don't think they have a strong enough fanbase that they can get "restless".

I don't think they have a strong enough fanbase that they can get "restless".

I've mentioned this a time or two, but it can't be reiterated enough. It is absolutely shocking, nay, absolutely appalling how little people out here care about college sports. If you didn't know any better, you would assume there were no colleges at all out here, because no one ever wears any college gear or has any college logos on their vehicles. It's a wasteland of college sports. Not exaggerating at all, I would estimate that I encounter someone either wearing college apparel or sporting college logos on his/her vehicle once a month, if even that. Honestly, it may only be once every other month. I do, however, see quite a bit of 49ers and Giants gear, at least proving that sports play some small part in these people's lives.

Cuonzo can buy himself some time out here due to the utter apathy surrounding collegiate sports here, and I imagine this reality played some part in his decision to leave UT for Cal. However, even the tremendous fan apathy out here won't save him.

On cue Martin is starting to win. They killed Oregon tonight.

I think I've found out Cuonzo's plan..be really bad at the start of the season and then play up to expectations at the end..and then everyone will praise you for being a great coach..they blew an 8 point lead with 2 minutes left and lost to Arizona..no shame Zona is good and they are tough to beat on the road..but he seems to not get involved at all down the stretch in tight games..they will probably finish 4th in the PAC-12..which is good for a 1st round bye and depending on how well they do in the tourney, will be between a 5-7 seed imo

Cal was picked to win the PAC-12 they finished 4th..not a bad season but their fans had championship dreams and they are not happy after being eliminated by Utah in the tourney..probably will be a 5 seed in NCAA

CM is honestly the worst offensive coach I've seen in possession for possession situations. No easy buckets ever.

Cuonzo is a disaster in late game situations.

Great loss guys. Cuonzo can't win for ****. How do we let a player go 4 seconds wide open to the basket to go to onetime. **** this

Martin is probably at close to the perfect place for him. Cal is a Power 5 conference and is big enough that when they do well they can get some national exposure and fan support, but not big enough that it's a major story if they aren't that good. Their fanbase isn't big enough to care that much about or to make a big deal about not meeting expectations.

In other words, I think he's really going to have to suck for him to ever feel any heat and would probably take several seasons of suck.

Martin is probably at close to the perfect place for him. Cal is a Power 5 conference and is big enough that when they do well they can get some national exposure and fan support, but not big enough that it's a major story if they aren't that good. Their fanbase isn't big enough to care that much about or to make a big deal about not meeting expectations.

In other words, I think he's really going to have to suck for him to ever feel any heat and would probably take several seasons of suck.

Cuonzo isn't a great coach and never will be but I'm very confident we'd be in a much better place program wise if he never had told him to leave.

VN Store

Back