Lawrence Phillips Dead

Thats sad. But hopefully lessons can be learned from his issues. Maybe as talented a player to throw away it all for dumb dumb things.

Reactions: 1 person
Is he the player that BSPN did a segment about? He was still writing all his coaches and sounded like he was turning his life around albeit still in the can. Nobody ever says no to these guys, and this can be the ultimate result. Very sad.

He was given so many chances to turn his life around both by Tom Osborne who let him play in the '96 Fiesta Bowl vs Florida after he had choked a girlfriend and dragged her down a flight of stairs and the St. Louis Rams who selected him #6 overall in the draft and had anointed him the starter before he had even played a down. If you can't play for Dick Vermeil, who can you play for? Even Jimmy Johnson gave him a shot in Miami. He was determined to fail... for God's sake, he killed a cellmate last year. Perhaps he had some psychiatric disorder? Something definitely wasn't right in his mind.

He was given so many chances to turn his life around both by Tom Osborne who let him play in the '96 Fiesta Bowl vs Florida after he had choked a girlfriend and dragged her down a flight of stairs and the St. Louis Rams who selected him #6 overall in the draft and had anointed him the starter before he had even played a down. If you can't play for Dick Vermeil, who can you play for? Even Jimmy Johnson gave him a shot in Miami. He was determined to fail... for God's sake, he killed a cellmate last year. Perhaps he had some psychiatric disorder? Something definitely wasn't right in his mind.

Bingo! He should have been put in jail a lot earlier and maybe even committed to a Psych ward to try to get better. But his football skills helped him avoid jail early on and get undeserved second, third and fourth chances. A lot of people suffered unnecessarily as a result!

According to his Wiki bio, he grew up in foster homes. Who knows what he went through while he was just a kid?

Yes, I know that people grow up in horrible circumstances and yet still choose to do right, but it's awfully easy for those of us with more stable childhoods to point fingers at those who don't.

RIP Lawrence Phillips. All that talent wasted from a long string of bad choices.

edits due to it was a helluva long day today

Last edited:
Had this guy not been a football star he would have been in prison a long time ago. One of the biggest wastes of talent ive ever seen

From what was said he was being targeted while in prison so who knows, it nay have been kill or get killed.

I hate to see young people get so twisted and misguided. When they do they quite often never grow out of it. It's a sad statement of our society.
Yes he made his choices and had to pay the price just like everyone else. But it's still a black mark on our society.

From what was said he was being targeted while in prison so who knows, it nay have been kill or get killed.

I hate to see young people get so twisted and misguided. When they do they quite often never grow out of it. It's a sad statement of our society.
Yes he made his choices and had to pay the price just like everyone else. But it's still a black mark on our society.

I couldn't agree more.. There are some young people who are going to make bad lifestyle choices no matter what but with the right kind of leadership in our communities these patterns could be broken.. Our culture is being ruined by different influential elements promoting destructive behaviors and in general making these type of lifestyles seem glamorous.. Young men like LP could be positive forces in our society but they are generally just enabled and spiral downward

I couldn't agree more.. There are some young people who are going to make bad lifestyle choices no matter what but with the right kind of leadership in our communities these patterns could be broken.. Our culture is being ruined by different influential elements promoting destructive behaviors and in general making these type of lifestyles seem glamorous.. Young men like LP could be positive forces in our society but they are generally just enabled and spiral downward

Absolutely.

This is why players should not be treated like kids.

I think a better way to look at it is kids should have good role models and be held accountable and taught responsibility when they're young. So many kids at all levels of the socioeconomic level are lacking this.

I think a better way to look at it is kids should have good role models and be held accountable and taught responsibility when they're young. So many kids at all levels of the socioeconomic level are lacking this.

That'll never happen without good parenting, which is rare.

I don't know that he deserves to rest in peace.

I have a feeling he never knew a day of it when he was living.

His family donated his brain for scientific study. Apparently, they believe he was another case of head trauma from playing football.

VN Store

Back