Larry Fedora

Roustabout

Maybe I missed a thread on this guy, but damn. Here is another coach UT could have hired back in the day.

11-1 and playing in ACC championship game. And wasn't he just on the hotseat? In fact, Butch has raided all kinds of recruits from UNC. Tuttle and North just to mention 2. And yet 8-4 gets a raise and extension. Don't get it. Maybe recruiting isn't all that. Has Fedora had two tip 5 classes?

Maybe I missed a thread on this guy, but damn. Here is another coach UT could have hired back in the day.

11-1 and playing in ACC championship game. And wasn't he just on the hotseat? In fact, Butch has raided all kinds of recruits from UNC. Tuttle and North just to mention 2. And yet 8-4 gets a raise and extension. Don't get it. Maybe recruiting isn't all that. Has Fedora had two tip 5 classes?

We tried to before hiring Butch. Said he had no interest in the TN job. I wanted no part of Fedora.

Reactions: 3 people

He played no good teams this year. If they beat Clemson, then sing his praises.

Reactions: 2 people
So glad LF passed on UT job.
The FAHR Butch crowd is unhappy with 8-4 for UT because we didn't beat "anybody". And now LOL praise Fedora? LOL

Reactions: 4 people

You should compare common opponents and schedules.

We'd be undefeated with UNC'S schedule or Iowa's schedule.

Reactions: 1 person
has two FCS wins and a loss to Carolina.....Yeh they are decent but who wouldnt be playing that schedule? hes been there a while. Bout time he had a decent team.

His record got worse every year before this bizarre breakout season. One great year does not make a great coach (ask Gene Chizik), so I'd need to see a good follow-up next season to agree with this. Plus, schedule was cupcakes on cupcakes. Toughest win was...what, at 6-6 Virginia Tech?

Reactions: 2 people
Fedora is a good coach, but there was no time we could've realistically hired him.

At the time Kiffin bolted for USC, Fedora only had two years experience as an HC with a 7-6 record in both seasons at Southern Miss. Admittedly, he would've been a better hire than Dooley, but he didn't really have a track record to back that up at the time. His breakthrough season was 2011. By 2012, he was at UNC and wouldn't make sense to bolt after one year. Besides, I'm happy we have Butch.

Fedora is a good coach, but there was no time we could've realistically hired him.

At the time Kiffin bolted for USC, Fedora only had two years experience as an HC with a 7-6 record in both seasons at Southern Miss. Admittedly, he would've been a better hire than Dooley, but he didn't really have a track record to back that up at the time. His breakthrough season was 2011. By 2012, he was at UNC and wouldn't make sense to bolt after one year. Besides, I'm happy we have Butch.

the problem with your theory is that it uses logic and common sense while completely ignoring hindsight. All of which is counter to the thought process on VN

Reactions: 5 people
His record got worse every year before this bizarre breakout season. One great year does not make a great coach (ask Gene Chizik), so I'd need to see a good follow-up next season to agree with this. Plus, schedule was cupcakes on cupcakes. Toughest win was...what, at 6-6 Virginia Tech?

Ironic, because Chizik is the reason UNC has improved. That and their awful schedule.

Fedora needed a DC. He hired famed DC and ring-owning Gene Chizik...to crappy UNC.

Butch needed an OC. He hired the swim team coach.

BSIA

Reactions: 6 people
Fedora's players have no academic requirements at UNC. He will never field a better team anywhere than what he is fielding now. I do expect him to take another job before the 5+ year post season ban comes down.

The same swim team coach who guided us to our best offense in 20 years?

Haha, I just don't get this anymore. People are still bashing the Debord hire like crazy, yet our offense tore it up this year.

Being unhappy with him after the first part of the season (even though we rushed for 399 yards against BGSU) makes sense. It doesn't make sense anymore. It was obvious he had to knock a little rust off. You can only prepare yourself so much for in-game situations. I would like to think that he has learned a lot from the beginning of the year, and has improved.

But I think the argument is futile. The same people still bashing the Debord hire are the same people who think that we should have scored 53 on Vandy and that it wasn't anything special. Facts, reason, and history do not matter to those people.

Haha, I just don't get this anymore. People are still bashing the Debord hire like crazy, yet our offense tore it up this year.

Being unhappy with him after the first part of the season (even though we rushed for 399 yards against BGSU) makes sense. It doesn't make sense anymore. It was obvious he had to knock a little rust off. You can only prepare yourself so much for in-game situations. I would like to think that he has learned a lot from the beginning of the year, and has improved.

But I think the argument is futile. The same people still bashing the Debord hire are the same people who think that we should have scored 53 on Vandy and that it wasn't anything special. Facts, reason, and history do not matter to those people.

You posting this with a factually inaccurate quote is very telling.

So glad LF passed on UT job.
The FAHR Butch crowd is unhappy with 8-4 for UT because we didn't beat "anybody". And now LOL praise Fedora? LOL

Yeah, insane. LF has done an outstanding job, given the circumstances. But, I am confident that the Vols would be undefeated if we played their schedule. Of course, I do believe that we are one of the best teams in the nation though, even at 8-4.

Don't forget that the Tarheels played 2 FCS teams, and lost to South Carolina (our only common opponent). They did beat Illinois, but they are Big10 bottom-feeders. We played the BIG12 Champion and the team in the MAC Championship. They didn't play against the top 3 teams in Atlantic Division either.

Basically, I don't think there is any comparison you can make to CBJ. There is definitely nothing you can take away from LF being 11-1 this season that you can apply to the Vols.

Fedora has done nothing. His OC and DC have turned the team around. If both leave or one leaves this year fedora will under achieve like in years past

VN Store

Back