GT Teaches How Not to Treat a Recruit

PKT_VOL

Veni, Vidi, Vici
Recruit decommits from Georgia Tech after alleged campus police harassment

I witnessed this from about 15-20 feet away. There was a student section which was practically empty. A recruit, his friend/brother, and his mom were sitting there not bothering a soul for the first half of the game. The family clearly had recruiting gear and credentials.

At a point during the second half, police started to check wristbands of the very few people who were actually in that section (mind you not checking our adjacent section, mostly full and also students). A cop, after throwing others out, gets to the family at top of the section. He starts to immediately harass the family. The recruit tries to explain that he is a recruit (guest of the university) and allowed to sit in the student section (to ironically soak in the terrible atmosphere).

The cop is dead set on them leaving. He doesn't care about the explanation; he was "just doing his job". The recruit, who is beyond frustrated at trying to explain the situation and total bewilderment of being throw out of a 90% empty section, began to reciprocate the attitude given to him by the cop. The cop attempts and fails to physically restrain the recruit.

At this point, a second officer who looked older and bit wiser stepped in. He told the first officer to back off. He proceeded to take a pen and paper out, and listened intently to their situation. Eventually, he led them away in an amicable manner (hopefully to the locker room).

The other ironic thing about this incident is that the wristband checking was precipitated by an obnoxious UGA fan. He ended up inadvertently trolling GT.

A little common sense, decency, and dismissal of rigid, tunnel vision rule-following when considering particular situations would have went a long way to resolving a misunderstanding at best and a mindnumbingly stupid harassment over nothing at worst.

Reactions: 2 people
Sounds like a university and athletic department that has a major communication problem that put one of its officers in a bad position. But I am sure it is easier to just say it is the cop's fault for doing his job.

Reactions: 2 people
Sounds like a university and athletic department that has a major communication problem that put one of its officers in a bad position. But I am sure it is easier to just say it is the cop's fault for doing his job.

From the article:

Johnson provided more detail to Georgia Tech blog From the Rumble Seat on Twitter. According to the site, Johnson said that he and his brother went to the concession stand and returned to find an officer telling his mother that she had to leave where she was sitting because she did not have a ticket. Johnson said he showed the officer the lanyard that recruits and their families are given to attend the game in lieu of tickets.

Johnson said the officer*“felt as though we had forged those badges and we didn’t belong in the game.” When Johnson said he would decommit because of the incident, he said the officer responded that he “wouldn’t care because he would still have his job if I went there or not.”

The cop didn't believe his credentials. Outside of sitting the recruits together (UT does this), not sure the athletic department could have done much more.

Reactions: 4 people

It was the Cop's fault. A shame that this kid had to chose between salvaging his pride and a GT education.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
The thing is half the college kids there probably gave that same story to the police.

The thing is half the college kids there probably gave that same story to the police.

Are half the other kids in the student section 6'3 260 lbs? At what point should some common sense take over? That kid definitely looks the part of a high school football recruit. That cop was a tad overzealous to say the least.

So you think it's a common practice to forge AD lanyards to sneak into the student section at GT? I'm going to guess no.

The comment about still having a job whether the kid was thrown out or not may prove an ironic last laugh for the recruit.

Reactions: 1 person
The cop may have inadvertently helped the kid.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 265
The comment about still having a job whether the kid was thrown out or not may prove an ironic last laugh for the recruit.

Who knows if that is what was actually said. I tend to go with 50% of stories like this are actual truth........Not talking about the OP, talking about the story in general.

For some reason, I can't seem to get the Barney Fife preamble out of my head.

Or you didn't read the article and the cop was a giant d-bag

Actually, seems like for you it's easier to give the cop a pass, instead of reading the actual account where clearly the cop wasn't just doing his job; unless of course "be a giant d-bag" is officially part of his job duties.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back