I don't see Kirby Smart being that much different than Gene Chizik or Will Muschamp

landscapingvol

Not sure what the luster is with him, it is obvious who runs the defense at Bama because when they leave it doesn't miss a beat but he could be great. I just think it is a major gamble for an established program

Reactions: 3 people
I don't get it either for the following reasons:

1. Defensive position coaches/coordinators who have never handled an offense previously usually get lost pretty quickly;
2. We're not actually sure how good he is because defense has been Saban's calling card no matter who the coordinator was;
3. Could Nick Saban have a more wildly varying coaching tree? Derek Dooley, Will Muschamp, Mark Dantonio, and Jimbo Fisher all in the same group.

Hard to tell, the DC seems like they have a harder time with the transition to HC. I can name another one, and he actually got ran out of town on a very good overall record.

9-4 T-1st in conference
10-4 1st
10-4 T-1st
9-4 3rd
10-4 1st
9-4 T-2nd
9-4 T-2nd

This year under new management.... 5-6 so far. Who am I? He was either 1st or tied (in conference) for 1st in 4 of 7 seasons, and he was being hounded like a dog. You want big money, you better bring the results.

Bo Pelini

Last edited:
To be fair, Bo Pelini is the largest of large A-holes, but I understand what you're saying.

I actually like him, but neither him or Muschamp should be the public face of a team. Muschamp should be hauled around in a windowless van from practice to game. lol

I think it might take Nebraska a long time to find someone more capable, although Bo isn't so good with public relations. LOL

7 seasons of winning 9 and 10 games every year. I would take it if I were South Carolina but South Carolina is a harder job given the competition. South Carolina can sell they're a quality SEC program but Nebraska has a prestige of its own he was able to sell at Nebraska. I don't know that he could average 9 wins at South Carolina and now sure what's up with his 5-5 season at Youngstown State. Other than sweater vest, I don't know a lot about their program.

I'm totally with you on this OP. Smart will not be a good head coach. At least not his first time around. Just a name.

Minor thread drift, but Bo Pelini is a name that could pop back up for a HC position as a dark horse.

Other than personality, he has proven he can win.

Does anyone think he actually runs Bama's defense?

No way, no how. SC has nowhere NEAR the talent on D that Bama has. Its going to be a whole different ballgame for Smart now. He is not going to have that luxury of having blue chip defensive players every year. Its gonna be rough sledding.

I figured Kirby is waiting for Saban to leave/retire or the Georgia job to open up.

volnation. where g.m.'s spend they're downtime.

They are downtime, huh? Can I play?

57f22990384e4114afe0a7683cf8d9fd725d041dea4cce7e6c77bde2b54d346f.jpg

Does anyone think he actually runs Bama's defense?

No. He just stands on the sideline giving out decoy signals while Saban actually runs the defense telekinetically.

Just watch an Alabama game and you can plainly see Smart controlling the defense.

VN Store

Back