UNC and Duke Basketball, 2015-16

volprof

Destroyer of Nihilists
I decided that I would make this year's installment of UNC basketball a combined UNC/Duke discussion thread, since that's what it will become in reality anyhow.

So, this thread is for the discussion of the respective UNC and Duke basketball 2015-16 seasons.

I will let a Duke poster make their season prognostications; my focus will be on UNC.

Here are my predictions for UNC's season:

Regular Season: 26 wins
ACC Regular: 1st
ACC Tournament: 1st
NCAA Tournament Seed: 1 (3rd Overall)
NCAA Tournament Finish: National Semifinal

Notes: Marcus Paige is out 3-4 weeks with an injury to his non-shooting hand. Also, while I think the team fully capable, I just don't think it quite has what it will take to advance to the national title game and win a championship. I think the national semifinal will be as far as UNC advances.

Looking forward to another exciting year of basketball.

Last edited:
Battered Vol fan syndrome is now affecting my outlook for the Tar Heels. I'm simply not inclined to believe that a team comprised of (mostly) the same players from last year will have significantly better results. I'm looking forward to finding out, though. Super bummed that Paige will miss the first month...he's so fun to watch and I was/am looking forward to seeing him without the foot injury hampering him.

Battered Vol fan syndrome is now affecting my outlook for the Tar Heels. I'm simply not inclined to believe that a team comprised of (mostly) the same players from last year will have significantly better results. I'm looking forward to finding out, though. Super bummed that Paige will miss the first month...he's so fun to watch and I was/am looking forward to seeing him without the foot injury hampering him.

I'm curious about this as well, although I'm on the opposite side of the fence as you.

Tennessee finds itself tragically wedged between Kentucky to its North, UNC and Duke to its East, Georgia and Alabama to its South, and Memphis (since its really its own state) to its West.

It's a tragic stew.

I was booing the fact that you combined the thread into a joint effort.

F Duke

Reactions: 2 people
I was booing the fact that you combined the thread into a joint effort.

F Duke

Well when it's been 10 of the last 13, so it should be combined. Especially when 1 program has definitely surpassed the other.

UNC should be very good, although I expect them to be slow out of the gate as always, especially with Paige out for a month. I expect UNC to be clicking on all cylinders come mid February, and win the regular season. I'll wait and see how they finish because I don't feel anyone on that team has a killer instinct. Everyone talks about Paige, but Justin Jackson is the best player on the team. UNC is definitely Final Four caliber, but I'll believe when I see it.

It's hard to gauge Duke right now because of all the young guys and the fact they haven't really played yet, but I really like the returning leadership of Plumlee, Jefferson, and Jones. Not to mention Grayson Allen looks to be a team leader also. I think the freshman will be very, very good, but it's hard to imagine Duke going on a similar run as last year. Look for Luke Kennard to be a special player for Duke. He's not getting a lot of the same press as the other guys, but he is really good. I'll say Duke finishes 3rd in the ACC, 2 seed and goes to the elite 8. Although I will say this is subject to change considering I haven't seen a second of this season yet.

And I will also Say:

GO TO HELL CAROLINA GO TO HELL!!

Reactions: 1 person
Is the UNC investigation over yet? If so did anything come of it? Haven't really followed so forgive me if its been beaten like a dead horse

It's hard to gauge Duke right now because of all the young guys and the fact they haven't really played yet, but I really like the returning leadership of Plumlee, Jefferson, and Jones. Not to mention Grayson Allen looks to be a team leader also. I think the freshman will be very, very good, but it's hard to imagine Duke going on a similar run as last year. Look for Luke Kennard to be a special player for Duke. He's not getting a lot of the same press as the other guys, but he is really good. I'll say Duke finishes 3rd in the ACC, 2 seed and goes to the elite 8. Although I will say this is subject to change considering I haven't seen a second of this season yet.

Amile and Luke were two of the ones I really wish UK had gotten. Especially Luke. Amile might not have fit in as well, but dang I would have loved to see Luke at UK. I remember him saying he grew up a UK fan too. So sad. Allen looks extremely talented as well. I didn't know much about him until his breakout in the tourney but he has a lot of skill. But how many Plumlee's are there?!?!?

Kennard is going to be good. Duke is the worst though. Dule, ND, and Bama are all in the same category to me.

Well when it's been 10 of the last 13, so it should be combined. Especially when 1 program has definitely surpassed the other.

UNC should be very good, although I expect them to be slow out of the gate as always, especially with Paige out for a month. I expect UNC to be clicking on all cylinders come mid February, and win the regular season. I'll wait and see how they finish because I don't feel anyone on that team has a killer instinct. Everyone talks about Paige, but Justin Jackson is the best player on the team. UNC is definitely Final Four caliber, but I'll believe when I see it.

And I will also Say:

GO TO HELL CAROLINA GO TO HELL!!

Eh, when you've had more than one coach to win a title and who hasn't also hijacked both USA Basketball and the "one-and-done" rule for his recruiting purposes, get back with us.

Coach K kind of reminds me a lot of Vladimir Putin: both are pretty sleazy but continue to skate right through despite how much everyone else hates them, both are probably vastly more wealthy than what's reported on official documents, each tries to look much younger than he really is, and you wonder if each will still be in charge even when he's 110, jet black hair, Botox, and all.

Eh, when you've had more than one coach to win a title and who hasn't also hijacked both USA Basketball and the "one-and-done" rule for his recruiting purposes, get back with us.

Gotcha, so Huckleberry doesn't recruit guys like Kyrie, Okafor or Winslow or say Harry Giles? This actually explains a lot of the past 5-6 seasons, also explains why nobody from UNC excels in the NBA anymore.

Reactions: 2 people
Coach K kind of reminds me a lot of Vladimir Putin: both are pretty sleazy but continue to skate right through despite how much everyone else hates them, both are probably vastly more wealthy than what's reported on official documents, each tries to look much younger than he really is, and you wonder if each will still be in charge even when he's 110, jet black hair, Botox, and all.

Why you trying to bring Pacer 92 into the conversation?😁

I'm trying to figure out who Roy is in the equation. I'd say he's Jimmy Carter with his "aww shucks I'm just good ole regular guy" bull**** routine and regular dizzy spells.

Battered Vol fan syndrome is now affecting my outlook for the Tar Heels. I'm simply not inclined to believe that a team comprised of (mostly) the same players from last year will have significantly better results.

This is why I tend to favor Maryland over them as the #1 team, but I still think UNC is easily a top-5 team on paper. If they don't get there when healthy, it's a coaching issue.

I think Duke is probably somewhere in the 9-12 range in the regular season, but I'd be surprised if they get past the Sweet 16. I think Allen will be really good, but I don't think the freshmen, especially aside from Ingram, are really that close to last year's group.

Last edited:
Amile and Luke were two of the ones I really wish UK had gotten. Especially Luke. Amile might not have fit in as well, but dang I would have loved to see Luke at UK. I remember him saying he grew up a UK fan too. So sad. Allen looks extremely talented as well. I didn't know much about him until his breakout in the tourney but he has a lot of skill. But how many Plumlee's are there?!?!?

Amile is really a great stat filler guy. He's the guy every team needs. He'll get you 8,7 &3 every night, and breakout for an 18 point game when you're down and win a ballgame. Grayson Allen has a great opportunity to be a star guy as well. He's athletic and can shoot.

VN Store

Back