The Meltdown That Is Happening At CatsPause

VolnJC

For the record, I picked Kentucky to go all the way and make history going 40-0..but I also wanted to be the one to start the thread in case they happen to lose. :) I almost feel sorry for them the players if it happens, because the UK fan base will probably consider this season a disappointment. I remember one of my former bosses was an UK alum and actually got mad at me when I "congratulated" them on making it to the Final Four one year before losing. He was like "its either a championship or nothing for UK in basketball"

Really? I thought you had to be a rival to start one of these meltdown threads. You are not a rival to Kentucky. Sorry, that's just how it is.

Really? I thought you had to be a rival to start one of these meltdown threads. You are not a rival to Kentucky. Sorry, that's just how it is.

No ... Anybody that can spot arrogant, front running, tools can start one of these threads. It's kind of a fish in a barrel thing up your way.

Reactions: 37 people
CatsPause sucks.

And people that act like it's titles or nothing are stupid. I'm very happy to be going to final fours multiple years as long as we win a title every few years or in the mix for the title. Some really are arrogant fans who think titles are a given for UK. We need to sit back and appreciate that Cal has never lost before the Elite 8 at UK. It can't last forever imo.

Reactions: 2 people
CatsPause sucks.

And people that act like it's titles or nothing are stupid. I'm very happy to be going to final fours multiple years as long as we win a title every few years or in the mix for the title. Some really are arrogant fans who think titles are a given for UK. We need to sit back and appreciate that Cal has never lost before the Elite 8 at UK. It can't last forever imo.
I am pretty sure his loss to Robert Morris happened well before the Elite Eight that year.

I married into inlaws full of UK graduates and fans. I can vouch for GaVols view. But he left out they have a solid entitlement complex.

I am pretty sure his loss to Robert Morris happened well before the Elite Eight that year.

I married into inlaws full of UK graduates and fans. I can vouch for GaVols view. But he left out they have a solid entitlement complex.

My Ex-Wife and her family are hardcore Kentucky fans.

I was born and raised in Kentucky, all my family and friends back home are these yahoo fans. There's a few that aren't bad, but it was bad enough to me that at 8 years old I remember thinking, "I hate ky".

Reactions: 3 people
Rupp wasn't racist, Cal never cheated, we NEVER get any calls and you all should bow before our greatness!!!!!

That is my catspause impersonation.

Reactions: 11 people
Rupp wasn't racist, Cal never cheated, we NEVER get any calls and you all should bow before our greatness!!!!!

That is my catspause impersonation.

UTEP(then Texas Western) Coach Don Haskins outcoached the hell out of Adolph Rupp in the 1966 NCAA Championship game.

and I wasn't trying to agitate any of the UK posters on this board...cause they seem like good people..another thing that irked me about my former boss was that he claimed to be a Vols fan in football and a UK in basketball..you can't have it both ways..he and his wife were the sort of "always in networking mode" people they went to multiple Rotary meetings and I'm pretty sure I saw him at my church handing out business cards one Sunday :)

Reactions: 1 person
CatsPause sucks.

I have an honest question, and I swear I'm not trying to start an argument. I truly don't understand this latest version of Kentucky during Cal's tenure. Here is the question:
What do you as a fan get out of it?
I mean, it's not like these kids actually have anything to do with Kentucky or the University. They show up and play basketball for a few months and move on. To me it would be like pulling for an AAU team that we just randomly picked at the Y or something. I understand that you win a lot of games and I get that, but next year you'll start all over and won't know who the hell the players are until mid way through the season and a couple of months after that they'll be gone. The minute Cal leaves, even that will be over. Is it really as fun as it used to be? (Again, it might be, I'm just asking).

I have an honest question, and I swear I'm not trying to start an argument. I truly don't understand this latest version of Kentucky during Cal's tenure. Here is the question:
I mean, it's not like these kids actually have anything to do with Kentucky or the University. They show up and play basketball for a few months and move on. To me it would be like pulling for an AAU team that we just randomly picked at the Y or something. I understand that you win a lot of games and I get that, but next year you'll start all over and won't know who the hell the players are until mid way through the season and a couple of months after that they'll be gone. The minute Cal leaves, even that will be over. Is it really as fun as it used to be? (Again, it might be, I'm just asking).

It's a double edged sword. If you gave me the choice of Pitino never leaving and Cals tenure, I'd take the former 10 out of 10 times. It was more genuine. More, sincere maybe?

The problem for most Kentucky fans, which UT fans cannot understand (at least on hoops side) is that once you're on top, sometimes you're willing to sell your soul to stay there. That is not a reference to Cal cheating, I believe UK is clean in his tenure. It means that with the current environment, Cals way produces wins, final fours and titles. To Kentucky fans, that is the only currency.

I miss senior day. The emotions I feel when we win now are different. I wouldnt trade it for any other program, method or coach. It is what it is, and one day we will go back to the way it was, and I'm unsure how BBN will handle that.

I think it really has changed the kentucky fan base. I feel some have embraced it, because while UK is the most prominent example, it's definitely not just something that happens here. I think it's something that you have to live with in this time and era. We made a little progress in bringing players back. More luck than intention, but the last two or three years cal has gotten a mix of lottery picks and projected multi year players. I wouldn't be suprised to see a senior or two next year. Like hardwood said, it's a double edge sword. Do you take the positive emotional connection without elite years, or lose players quicker but go to a lot of final fours? It's what it is unfortunately. It'll be back "normal" soon enough, and it'll be quite strange to go back that way.

Every year he has gone to the ncaa tournament at UK he made it to the elite eight or further. The nit year obviously wasn't part of that.

I think you definitely see an entitlement complex. But id argue that every elite teams fan base in all sports usually have it to a certain extent.

I'm sure it is tough for UK fans identify to identify with the player of late..and it has to be pretty expensive buying your fav player's number every year :) but this team is much more than a "rental AAU" squad..they play some incredible defense and I enjoy watching them play..outside of being a UK fan though, it's tough pulling for them other than to see history..you have the best of the best players in the US playing for one of the blue bloods..not sure even a Pulitzer winning writer could make a human interest story there :)

I really appreciate the actual responses- that can be very rare on here. It really is a unique dynamic you guys are going through. I'd love to see a documentary that kinda explores the shift in the fan base and stuff you guys are talking about. It would be very interesting. Thanks again for the civility, I almost deleted my question because I didn't want to start a pizzing contest haha.

You are just talking about them sacrificing their home grown folk hero (Rex Chapman, Pelphrey, Ford) for more banners. I doubt they mind at all.

I really appreciate the actual responses- that can be very rare on here. It really is a unique dynamic you guys are going through. I'd love to see a documentary that kinda explores the shift in the fan base and stuff you guys are talking about. It would be very interesting. Thanks again for the civility, I almost deleted my question because I didn't want to start a pizzing contest haha.

Yep, agree.

VN Store

Back