New Details in Vandy Rape Case

VolnJC

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Had it not been for an act of vandalism, four former Vanderbilt football players probably would not have been charged with rape.

Deputy District Attorney General Tom Thurman told jurors Tuesday that the vandalism, which occurred the same night as the alleged attack, prompted Vanderbilt officials to take a look at video surveillance footage of one of the Nashville school's dorms. When they did, Thurman said, they saw a 21-year-old neuroscience major lying incapacitated from alcohol and being videoed and photographed in the hallway of Gillette House.
Prosecution Lays Out Case Against Ex-Vanderbilt Football Players In Rape Trial

It's probably a good thing that I haven't been called for jury duty for that case.

I don't have much use for a rapist.

Cory Batey sentenced to 15 years in Vanderbilt rape case

The minimum.

The woman was 21 and unconscious when police say four men raped her on the floor of a university dorm on June 23, 2013.

“The thought of sharing any more of myself that hasn’t already been taken from me seems unbearable, and it goes against every instinct that I have,” she said.

“But sexual assault was not where the attack ended,” she said. Her sobs intensified as the described what else the men did to her.

“Mr. Batey continued to abuse and degrade me, urinating on my face while uttering horrific racial hate speech that suggested I deserved what he was doing to me because of the color of my skin. He didn’t even know who I was.”

In prior court hearings, prosecutors have acknowledged a racial statement was made but it was never said publicly in court.

On Friday, multiple sources confirmed to The Tennessean the statement Batey made. “That’s for 400 years of slavery you b----,” Batey said, according to the sources.

The Judge said Batey made a "bad choice". WTF

The judge said "having to register as a sex offender is a life sentence in and of itself".

Are you ****ing kidding me? He has 5 years left on his term, they better be his last.

SIAP... I just noticed that this was last year, but the article was just updated 20 min ago

Last edited:
The victim needs to file a Title IX against Vanderbilt.

I understand your feelings, but Vandy did exactly what should have been done...reported it to the authorities as soon as they saw the tape and then let said authorities do their job.

That said, 15 years is way too little for what he did.

Reactions: 4 people
Have the others been sentenced?

And this is why it not being made public is proper and makes sense,golfballs. Inquiring minds wanting to know all the dirty little details is all well and good, but not until the trials concludes. This kind of journalism will prejudice potential jury members and could cause convictions to be overturned on appeal. So stop acting like there is a conspiracy interfering with your precious right to know.

VN Store

Back