Back in the game: Phillip Fulmer and the rebirth of ETSU football

kamoshika

For the past year, Fulmer has helped ETSU, which is based in Johnson City, as a consultant on everything from fundraising to the school's coaching search. It's a unique opportunity to channel the passion that once helped him build one of the SEC's premier programs. As Fulmer tells it, it's also a role he never expected to play at this stage in his life.
Phillip Fulmer and the rebirth of East Tennessee State football | Campus Union - SI.com

I feel bad for Fulmer...this will be the second program he has been a part of that will fail. Miserably.

I feel bad for Fulmer...this will be the second program he has been a part of that will fail. Miserably.

Spoken like a giant douche. Phil is partially responsible for UT's downturn, but he deserves everyone's respect for what he built in the 90s.

Also, I imagine ETSU is pretty happy to have his name attached to their program. Hes a great fundraiser.

I like Phil and respect him and appreciate what he did for UT. But the fact is the program did fail under his watch and ETSUs football program is going to fail too. Just like it did before. I was just pointing that out. Not being a douche just stating facts.

I like Phil and respect him and appreciate what he did for UT. But the fact is the program did fail under his watch and ETSUs football program is going to fail too. Just like it did before. I was just pointing that out. Not being a douche just stating facts.

Phil didn't fail

Reactions: 2 people

Saying ETSU is going to fail isn't a fact, that's called an "opinion".

Reactions: 1 person

152-52 sounds like a failure to me.

From the look of your posting history, you only wished that you could fail half as good as Phil Fulmer.

Last edited:

That doesn't make the program he built a failure.

You're a douche, that's a fact. Go Bucs btch

A game or a season doesn't equal failure.

The program falling a little does not equal failure.

Florida state's program dropped off bobby bowden's last few seasons.

Was Bobby Bowden a failure?

Fulmer did his job, well, for a long period of time.

I think a lot of the crap he gets is because of what others that followed him did.

If Tennessee football was a car, fulmer left it in a condition requiring some minor repairs after years of quality care and usage.

Then someone took that car and parked it on the side of the road and left it without giving a damn.

The next guy took the car and totalled it.

No matter what some of you want to think, fulmer is not responsible for the current state of the program

Reactions: 9 people
Good post 99. I never have understood the hatred Fulmer gets from a lot of our fans! You would think the 14 good years he was responsible for would over shadow his last 3 or 4 years!

A game or a season doesn't equal failure.

The program falling a little does not equal failure.

Florida state's program dropped off bobby bowden's last few seasons.

Was Bobby Bowden a failure?

Fulmer did his job, well, for a long period of time.

I think a lot of the crap he gets is because of what others that followed him did.

If Tennessee football was a car, fulmer left it in a condition requiring some minor repairs after years of quality care and usage.

Then someone took that car and parked it on the side of the road and left it without giving a damn.

The next guy took the car and totalled it.

No matter what some of you want to think, fulmer is not responsible for the current state of the program

And don't forget the insurance company (the good hands of the UT Administration) who in some ways seems only willing to provide a fresh coat of paint without helping to address the underlying problems.

Lol the butt hurt on here. Did the program not ultimately fail under his watch? He was fired for a reason no?? Im sorry if bringing up bad memories hurts your all's feelings.

And the ETSU football program is going to fail. The students voted on the issue and 70% of the students voted that they did not want a football program, but they are going to throw away millions trying to make something work that no one really wants.

Lol the butt hurt on here. Did the program not ultimately fail under his watch? He was fired for a reason no?? Im sorry if bringing up bad memories hurts your all's feelings.

And the ETSU football program is going to fail. The students voted on the issue and 70% of the students voted that they did not want a football program, but they are going to throw away millions trying to make something work that no one really wants.

so, again, by that standard, bobby bowden failed...correct?

the program did ultimately fail under his watch, did it not?

If you are trying to be ignorant then you are definitely not failing. Let me guess.....you are <25 yrs old?

VN Store

Back