FBS Conference Realignment (updated breakdown)

ukvols

I think it would be useful to keep running lists, so we can see who will be where in the coming years. I'll keep updating this post as more changes are confirmed. These lists show what the football conferences will look like after all announced movement has been completed.

Future FBS Alignment (130 schools) (130 in 2017; still 130 in 2018 with Idaho dropping down to FCS and Liberty moving up)

Independents (6)
Army, BYU, Liberty (2018), UMass, NM State (2018), Notre Dame

Power Five (64)

ACC (14)
Atlantic: Boston College, Clemson, Florida St., Louisville, NC State, Syracuse, Wake Forest
Coastal: Duke, Georgia Tech, Miami (FL), North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Virginia, Virginia Tech

Big Ten (14)
East: Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan St., Ohio St., Penn St., Rutgers
West: Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, Wisconsin

Big 12 (10)
Baylor, Iowa St., Kansas, Kansas St., Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Texas, TCU, Texas Tech, West Virginia

Pac-12 (12)
North: California, Oregon, Oregon St., Stanford, Washington, Washington St.
South: Arizona, Arizona St., UCLA, Colorado, USC, Utah

SEC (14)
East: Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
West: Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss. St., Texas A&M

Group of Five (60)

American (12)
East: UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, East Carolina, South Florida, Temple
West: Houston, Memphis, Navy, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa

C-USA (14)
East: Charlotte, FAU, FIU, Marshall, MTSU, Old Dominion, Western Kentucky
West: UAB, Louisiana Tech, North Texas, Rice, Southern Miss., UTEP, Texas-San Antonio

MAC (12)
East: Akron, BGSU, Buffalo, Kent St., Miami (OH), Ohio
West: Ball St., CMU, EMU, Northern Illinois, Toledo, WMU

MWC (12)
Mountain: Air Force, Boise St., Colorado St., New Mexico, Utah St., Wyoming
West: Fresno St., Hawaii, Nevada, UNLV, San Diego St., San Jose St.

Sun Belt (10) (12 members in 2017; 10 in 2018 with Idaho and NMSU departing; Divisions to be created in 2018)
East: Appalachian St., Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Georgia St., Troy
West: Arkansas St., La-Lafayette, La-Monroe, South Alabama, Texas St.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
It's funny that the only conference with less than 12 members is the Big 12.

I wonder if C-USA will add one to get back to an even number or if they anticipate losing someone else.

I thought that the Catholic Seven were taking the Big East name?

They are.
I'll change the name when a new name is announced. I think I read that the former Big East has until May 2 to do that. So, I suppose that technically they are known as the Big East today, and on May 2, they'll be nameless, if they don't announce something new.

They are.
I'll change the name when a new name is announced. I think I read that the former Big East has until May 2 to do that. So, I suppose that technically they are known as the Big East today, and on May 2, they'll be nameless, if they don't announce something new.

Awesome; and, gracias.

I laughed at "The Other 5".

Actually ND is sort half an ACC member. They'll play 5 ACC teams a year and can steal an ACC bowl bid.

I laughed at "The Other 5".

Actually ND is sort half an ACC member. They'll play 5 ACC teams a year and can steal an ACC bowl bid.

"Group of Five" literally is what they're calling themselves.
That's true regarding ND, but they're not playing a full-season ACC schedule or competing for the league title, so they're still an Independent.

I could no longer mentally keep track of who was where because of the constant movement. And, some of the confirmed movement is a few years down the road, so there will probably be more changes before the breakdown in the OP can happen as described. So, I decided to start a running list. This is as productive of a place as any to do that.

Geez. Between CUSA, the Sun Belt, and The Conference Formerly Known As (and not to be confused with the future) Big East, there are some hot messes in FBS.

Looks like you can update the 'Big East' to 'American Athletic Conference'.

:unsure:

That name sounds rather mid-major, but I suppose any new name isn't going to resonate right away.

If the Big Ten changed its name to the Midwestern Conference, people would wonder what they were thinking. But, that name would be no more bland than Southeastern Conference, lol.

I put in the Big Ten's new divisions.
At some point, the Sun Belt will make another run at having 12 teams.

NOt sure it would happen, but Furman would be a good choice for the Sunbelt IMO. As far as the Big 10, I'm not sure who Nebraska and Wisconsin had to pay, but that game should decide the West every year.

Playing on the easier side may eventually help more of the teams in the West emerge, but the outlook is bleak for Indiana in the East.

VN Store

Back