Will Texas A&M or Missouri

rheaco1123

Ever become a SEC rival to anyone? I could see making a case for A&M with some of the SEC west but what about Missouri?

aTm:

Natural fit for us to rival LSU.

Forced cross division rival with SCAR.

As far as Mizzou, I'm not sure who the fit best with.

Ya, I was thinking A&M could make it work, but right now Missouri seems like an outcast.

I think South Carolina is keeping its forced cross-division rivalry with Arkansas, so that TAMU and Missouri can play every year. If it were up to me, I'd switch it, so that Missouri and Arkansas would play annually.

Regarding rivals for Missouri, I think Arkansas would be a great possibility, with the states bordering all the way across, but the football schedule isn't making it an annual game. Kentucky is another possibility. It's the two northern-most schools in the league, and they're both good at basketball. Gazing at a map, it looks like Missouri's small border with Tennessee is a tad longer than its border with Kentucky, but the Vols already have several established football rivalries. If Mizzou's football program slows down amidst the weekly SEC gauntlet, they may find themselves in a rivalry with the Cats.

Arkansas will be playing Mizzou every year (A&M is picking up USCe). I think that rivalry will pick up quickly.

A&M already has Arkansas, and I think they'll pick up some hatred with LSU quickly. Given a lot of shared history between the two, I think A&M and Alabama will have a decent rivalry going. That'll be especially true if the game is always late in the season like it is in 2012.

A&M already has past ties to LSU and Arky...they'll probably develop another one with at least someone else, one of the Bama or MS schools (possibly South Carolina if true)

If the rumors are true, then Missouri should be getting paired with Arkansas as their cross divisional opponent and that should turn into a rivalry...they already seem a bit fussy towards each other on message boards

Football wise, I'd expect down the road Missouri would develop another rival based upon bordering reasons (states of KY and TN) and/or something based just on how the divisional games end up playing out (something like a "battle of the Columbias" could end up developing with USCe down the road or something based upon future results)

Missouri though will probably later develop a basketball rivalry with UK and someone else (UF, Vandy).

(Sorry if this seems scattered; haven't really been focused while typing it)

Last edited:
(I say "if" only because all that's really been said about it so far were 2 post-meeting tweets between the President/AD of USCe and the Pres/AD of A&M, however nothing has been finalized regarding the post 2012 schedules yet, and the Mizzou coach (& maybe AD) commented that he knew of nothing such / the media question was the first he'd heard of it / “I talked to (athletic director) Mike Alden and never in any meeting he’s been in has it even been discussed"...that and the proposal given came about following a web poll the USC's AD conducted/sited (which to some degree sounded a bit like "we don't want to play Arky anymore because we get beaten")....if true though I'd imagine getting A&M would do nothing but good things for USCe, and probably hurt Mizzou early, possibly heftily)

Arkansas will be playing Mizzou every year (A&M is picking up USCe). I think that rivalry will pick up quickly.

A&M already has Arkansas, and I think they'll pick up some hatred with LSU quickly. Given a lot of shared history between the two, I think A&M and Alabama will have a decent rivalry going. That'll be especially true if the game is always late in the season like it is in 2012.

That's great; I hope that's true. I know I read, when they were first joining, that the cross-divisional "rivalries" in place would not be changed. And, I recall reading that Missouri wanted TAMU every year, so they'd continue playing a Texas school. I guess this was at some point changed.

That's great; I hope that's true. I know I read, when they were first joining, that the cross-divisional "rivalries" in place would not be changed. And, I recall reading that Missouri wanted TAMU every year, so they'd continue playing a Texas school. I guess this was at some point changed.

I'm not sure if anything's been finalized on future schedules...but the USCe and Texas A&M presidents had tweeted each other saying that they were going to be cross-rivals

Couldn't tell you how much is certain yet, here are some articles about it back in Feb/Mar though:

USC Prez Talks Schedules against SEC, Says Presidents Already Involved in Process

New SEC Permanent Rivals, That's News to Mizzou

Petrino Points Out that Arkansas-Mizzou Would only Make Sense

Petrino Pushes for Mizzou (And That Could Benefit Arkansas)

It would be crazy for Missouri and Arkansas to rarely play in football. They border north/south all the way across. If that game isn't played, Missouri will be cut out and just be an outlier. The MO/AR border is the Tigers' "connection" to the rest of the league.

A&M has a rivalry somewhat with Arky

Mizzou doesn't line up well with anyone really

Probably with our border states. Arkansas is begging to be our cross-divisional. I think the Missouri - Tennesee game will be a good game every year. And with the proximity to Kentucky and with what will probably lead to good basketball games every year I could see one developing with them too.

LSU and Arkansas for A&M. Maybe Arkansas for Mizzou, can't really picture anyone else.

Only football I could see is A&M and LSU, Mizz and Arky. For basketball I only see Mizz and Ky.

Arkansas did just hire Missouri's basketball coach, so maybe a little something will develop there too.

Mizzou and KY...cause Mizzou is where Daniel Boone died...I'm sure KY is still P.O'd by that.

Arkansas did just hire Missouri's basketball coach, so maybe a little something will develop there too.
It's been developing on Arkansas and SEC message boards for a while.

Arkansas and Missouri will be a rivalry right away in basketball. I'm not sure if it will spill over to football, but it could. Texas A&M and LSU does make sense.

Probably with our border states. Arkansas is begging to be our cross-divisional. I think the Missouri - Tennesee game will be a good game every year. And with the proximity to Kentucky and with what will probably lead to good basketball games every year I could see one developing with them too.

I say welcome to the SEC. I like Mizzou even though most don't think you fit in the SEC. I like it because the powers that be weren't scared of the competition of this league. For the record was a smart move in the event Big 12 ever implodes you had a destination. Again I liked the "We are Mizzou" video.

Hard to believe that a seven and a half hour drive now counts for a close rivalry in the SEC...

... Then again the Ducks nearest neighbor to the south (Cal) is about eight and a half hours away, and they've been in the same conference going back almost a century now.

VN Store

Back