Richie Farmer abuse of power

Reeechie shot himself in the foot with a bazooka, and ruined the easiest path in history to becoming a governor. Also, he has heavily tarnished his legacy in so many ways. Sad story really.

I was living in KY when he first ran, and I voted for the opponent, due to her experience.

As for this, on one hand, it in general doesn't surprise me in the least that someone who was that popular would abuse power like that. The issue is that this goes completely against the reputation he built for himself during his playing career. I honestly feel bad for anyone who really looked up to this guy and was let down by this. HF is right though; he was a cinch for governor one day unless he, well...

HF is right though; he was a cinch for governor one day unless he, well...

Unless he one day poached and shot a deer while driving a state vehicle and hired his girlfriend in a sweet state position? Yeah, that ish will get ya every time.

This is what happens when people who aren't really supposed to become politicians become politicians. Farmer had gov. in the bag if he had kept it up.

In a strange way, I feel vindicated for voting for the other candidate when Farmer first ran. It was the experienced candidate vs the KY Basketball political ticket.

The whole story about him making a state employee drive him around while he shot a deer from a car (illegally) and making that employee field dress it...wow. That is the ultimate in arrogance. Shame. Richie was a folk hero.

I suppose a possible comparison, except for the facts that he didn't have quite as deadly a 3-pt shot (lol), and basketball will never be as revered in TN as it is in KY, would be if Dane Bradshaw were to achieve public office and then abuse it.

I realize Bradshaw's popularity, as wide as it is, is not nearly what Farmer has enjoyed in KY. I'm just saying that as much as I don't like KY sports, I do feel bad for those who put him on a high can-do-no-wrong pedestal.

I suppose a possible comparison, except for the facts that he didn't have quite as deadly a 3-pt shot (lol), and basketball will never be as revered in TN as it is in KY, would be if Dane Bradshaw were to achieve public office and then abuse it.

I realize Bradshaw's popularity, as wide as it is, is not nearly what Farmer has enjoyed in KY. I'm just saying that as much as I don't like KY sports, I do feel bad for those who put him on a high can-do-no-wrong pedestal.

Yeah, it was just the perfect storm. Pelphrey, Feldhaus, Farmer, all Kentucky kids leading the team back from the disaster of the Sutton Era. With the way basketball runs through the lifeblood of this state, people put trust in him. It would have been the same if either Pelphrey or Feldhaus wanted to make a go of it.

Yessir.

If he would have never run for office, his reputation would have remained intact, and his legend would have continued to grow.

No worries.

So, is Farmer's story simply that the audit is politically motivated?
I read the argument that the basketball court was a gift that had nothing to do with his office. I suppose if the cement was simply a gift to a former basketball hero with no conflict of interest with his office, and the manpower to build it was a gift and was done outside of work hours, it would be ok. But, I'm under the impression that the state employees were either being paid with state funds or were working while "on the clock" with the state.

Also, the hiring of his girlfriend and someone else to get paid to do nothing sounds Petrino-esque.

But, I'm under the impression that the state employees were either being paid with state funds or were working while "on the clock" with the state.

Yeah, I mean, I think that he felt like he didn't have to answer to anybody. Sense of entitlement. I'm an employee of the Commonwealth, and I can guarantee that every effort is made to justify and document every bit of work performed.

Also, the hiring of his girlfriend and someone else to get paid to do nothing sounds Petrino-esque.

The gf wasn't getting paid to do "nothing" ...I'm sure there were some "required" transactions. :eek:lol:

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah, it was just the perfect storm. Pelphrey, Feldhaus, Farmer, all Kentucky kids leading the team back from the disaster of the Sutton Era. With the way basketball runs through the lifeblood of this state, people put trust in him. It would have been the same if either Pelphrey or Feldhaus wanted to make a go of it.

I had always heard that Farmer was a DB from some folks that kept a condo near the wildcat lodge. I guess this corroborates that. Sad really.

The gf wasn't getting paid to do "nothing" ...I'm sure there were some "required" transactions. :eek:lol:

Perhaps the details of these transactions will be released to prevent anyone from thinking her salary was stolen.

VN Store

Back