7 Wins for Bowl Eligibility in the future?

Tell that to ucla.

This ain't happening. The bowl system has a death grip on college football.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 2 people
They should drop it down to about 15 bowl games and drop the bowl tie ins. That would make for some really good games and would piss off the Big 10 even more

Get rid of all the bowl games, and establish a playoff of some sort. Of course, this will never happen.

UCLA vs Illinois was a joke of a bowl game.

Matchup, yes

The fact that the bowl was completely designed around getting meals to underprivileged or poor families (for example, every Facebook like of its page resulted in a meal given/donated to a family; if they had an image they had posted shared enough on Facebook - 1,000 times - they would give/donate 200,000 meals to impoverished families)....that was kind of a refreshing thing to see in a system that's all about greed and money (as some say)

Reactions: 1 person
If 15 to 20 bowl games simply put bids out to the teams they want, the bowl system would be absolutely awesome.

Matchup, yes

The fact that the bowl was completely designed around getting meals to underprivileged or poor families (for example, every Facebook like of its page resulted in a meal given/donated to a family; if they had an image they had posted shared enough on Facebook - 1,000 times - they would give/donate 200,000 meals to impoverished families)....that was kind of a refreshing thing to see in a system that's all about greed and money (as some say)

I would like to see how well they are actually able to execute their mission

Wouldn't be the first time that's happened to a bowl. They are all gluttonous.

Most of them are all fronts with nice names and a cake way for a bowl organizer to make a six figure year's salary for organizing one game.

UT wouldnt have this year if they beat UK. Or UK at for that matter.

No sh*t Sherlock, but that's the exception and not the rule when it comes to UT.

Look up UT's bowl history and look up Ky and Candy's bowl history and get back with me. Hell, tell us how many bowls UT has been to in your long, storied history of 17 years on this earth and then tell us Candy and Ky's bowl history.

Wouldn't be the first time that's happened to a bowl. They are all gluttonous.

Most of them are all fronts with nice names and a cake way for a bowl organizer to make a six figure year's salary for organizing one game.

It could but too much word got out about it, mainly over social media...since one of the main age groups that picked it up and ran with it was universities/college student age, I have to think you'd have heard some - even minor - uproar about it...especially considering the campus I'm on

I only say I'd like to know just because I haven't taken time to look it up

Bleacher report had this to say (though it sounds like that only was talking about ticket sales):

Finally, the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl's mission of fighting hunger and donating meals to the hungry was achieved.

The Executive Director of the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl, Gary Cavalli, alerted me to the fact that three meals were being donated to the needy for every ticket sold. With an attendance mark of 29,878, that meant nearly 90,000 meals were donated from this game alone.

A big thank you and congratulations are in order for Kraft Foods, Cavalli and his staff for organizing and putting on such a tremendous event. The real winners are the charities who receive these meal donations to feed the hungry.

Bowl's claimed mission:

It's time to huddle up again! After donaing nearly 21 million meals in 2010, Kraft Foods' Huddle to Fight Hunger is back with a new goal. Once again, Kraft Foods is working with Feeding America, the nation's leading domestic hunger-relief organization, to fight hunger but the 2011 goal is to help donate 25 million meals*. Ultimately, this donation will help the more than 50 million Americans who live in food insecure households.

JOIN THE FIGHT

You can get involved by joining Kraft Foods' Huddle to Fight Hunger on Facebook. For every "Like" on Kraft Fight Hunger | Facebook, Kraft Foods will donate one meal* to your local Feeding America food bank. While on the page, you can also play the "2 Minute Trivia Drill" game as often as you'd like to generate additional meal donations for local food banks.

To help spread the word, Kraft Foods has rallied a great team to champion the cause including American Youth Football (the nation's largest youth football organization), football legend Joe Montana and celebrity chefs Pat and GIna Neely.

(I'm just looking around and posting what I find)

Bowl's "initiative":

THE BOWL TO FILL ALL BOWLS

KRAFT FIGHT HUNGER BOWL TO DONATE 1 MEAL*PER TICKET SOLD TO EACH OF OUR THREE*LOCAL HUNGER RELIEF PARTNERS.
Last year the Bowl donated over 120,000 meals to the Bay Area's Hungry! A big thanks to our fans for their support! We hope to meet that goal again and hopefully surpass it this year!

The Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl is committed to advancing Kraft Foods' Huddle to Fight Hunger cause right here in the Bay Area. We have partnered with local Feeding America affiliates to help tackle hunger in our own community.

Our Efforts:

Donation

In partnership with Macy's, the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl will donate ONE MEAL for every ticket purchased to each of our three local hunger*organizations: the San Francisco Food Bank, the St. Anthony Foundation and the Glide Foundation. AT&T Park holds over 40,000 people. We hope to fill it to the brim and donate over 120,000 meals again in 2011!
Team Visits
During Bowl Week, each team spends time giving back to the Bay Area. Last year, the Boston College Eagles visited St. Anthony's Dining Room and the University of Nevada Wolf Pack took a trip to Glide. Both teams worked to prep and serve meals for San Francisco's needy. By volunteering, the players not only help the Bay Area hunger crisis, but they also gain awareness and a new perspective. We hope the players are inspired to continue to give back to their own communities.
Thank you to Kraft Foods for donating food to both St. Anthony's and Glide that is served during the team visits!

Bobby Vardaro cooking
Oscar Mayer hot dogs
Colin Kaepernick serves food at
Glide
Luke Kuechly preps carrots at
St. Anthony's

To see more pictures from the event, visit us on facebook: facebook.com/kraftbowl.
Fan Donations
Last year our fans donated more than $6,500 to our hunger*relief*organizations by donating online either while purchasing tickets or when visiting our website! Thank you for making a difference in your community!!
Donations can be made year round to the San Francisco Food Bank, the Glide Foundation and the St. Anthony Foundation*and while purchasing tickets online.

Online Auctions
Keep your eye out for our online auctions this November and December! We will be auctioning off some great Bowl experience packages that you can't buy anywhere else! Proceeds will benefit our three hunger relief organizations. Bid on a package and you'll have the opportunity to have a once in a lifetime experience, while helping your community!

See who the KRAFT FIGHT HUNGER BOWL is helping locally

St. Anthony's Success Stories Glide's Work SF Food Bank Hunger Study

Thanks to our partner Macy's for supporting our local initiatives!

Their Facebook page says they hit 25 mil meals based on the post it put up jan 2

Looks like it goes to food banks, etc, who then distribute it if I had to guess

Last edited:
as a flat baseline to all teams. I agree that there are too many bowls. Instead, let's eliminate 20 bowl teams and take the top 50 overall teams in the BCS standings, regardless of win total. Or name a number of teams to take, doesn't matter. But let's do it on some metric other than win total.

The reason that going to 7 wins as the baseline is a bad idea, is that it will farther skew the bowls toward the mid-level non-bcs teams, while eliminating bowls for mid-level major conference teams. Just using this past season for C-USA and the SEC, you'd have SMU and Tulsa bowling, while leaving Mississippi State, Florida, and Vanderbilt at home. No way that would make for a "better" bowl season. A 7-5 non-bcs team does not deserve to be bowling over a 6-6 bcs team. If you apply this rule, you cut down on number of bowls, but also cut down on bowl interest by an equal or greater margin, and actually still end up with a bowl schedule that is just as diluted as before...

It will also farther dilute the OOC regular season. The mid-level teams from the major conferences will be unwilling to play ANY OOC games that they could potentially lose. Won't much effect us(State), since we're already scheduled for maximum OOC success and won't be playing a bcs team anytime in the near future in OOC. That's just part of being "smart" as a lower-level west team trying to go bowling every year. Same as the traditional Ky model.

Applying a 7-win floor to this past season eliminates Pittsburg, Florida, Ohio St, Illinois, Ucla, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Wake Forest, Iowa St, Purdue, Arizona St, Marshall from their bowls, while adding Western Ky.
You get rid of one non-bcs team, but you add one non-bcs team to offset this. You then lose 11 BCS teams. Bad for business...

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back