Geno Auriemma vs. Pat Summitt

TennFan

How does Geno do record wise at UConn vs. Pat at UT? I know Pat has more wins and NCAA Championships. How long has Geno been coach at UConn? I know Pat dropped UConn from the regular schedule about 4 years ago.

UConn has the same opportunity afforded all WBB programs, to schedule the toughest teams possible to not only improve THEIR image but to create the most exciting matchups possible throughout the WBB regular season..They choose to play a softer schedule than most top tier programs with the end result being this type of streak...Year in and year out, CPS and the Lady Vols play one of the toughest, if not THE toughest regular season schedules in WBB...Entering this season,47% of her 1,233 total games have been played versus ranked teams (582 total games against ranked opponents) with 423 victories versus ranked opponents:

Overall: 423-159 (.727)
AP Ranked 1-10: 174-120 (.592)
AP Ranked 11-25: 230-37 (.861)
ESPN Ranked 1-10: 131-77 (.630)
ESPN Ranked 11-25: 196-26 (.883)

Vs. Unranked Opponents
Overall: 614-37 (.943)

Auriemo is 735-122 overall, but just 127-52 against Top 25 teams...Only 179 games against ranked opponents...IMO not exactly a tough schedule for the type of program they project to be...

Geno might have the streak but IMO Pat Summitt has the respect..

A post I made in "Women's basketball is a joke" (still active BTW..You might want to read other pertinent threads before starting a new one..just sayin')

Now look at the historical placement of ranked teams in their respective conferences to adjust those numbers. Who does Geno dodge that Pat plays?

The inferiority complex that Lady Vol fans have is embxarassing
Posted via VolNation Mobile

JT the numbers speak for themselves...You think Stanford, Notre Dame, Baylor, Texas etc. are not available for Geno to play?...C'mon man...The numbers speak for themselves, despite any claims about an "inferiority complex"...Simply not true

FThey beat Baylor,play Stanford in a week, ND is a conference match.

The inferring that Geno is using Mike Leach tactics for scheduling non conference games is absurd. Pat is cooked as long as the guy is around, just how it is.

Simply put, UConn plays 4 out of every 5 games against unranked teams while UT plays almost HALF of their games against ranked opponents...And you claim this "historical placement of ranked teams in their respective conferences" thing to explain that? I guess beating teams like Holy Cross, Howard, Lehigh, Pacific, USF and Sacred Heart( do they REALLY have a team named Sacred Heart?) is supposed to be impressive? And then "Mike Leach"??? comes into the equation?? Wow, talk about somebody having an inferiority complex...Geno is getting his due...Just be realistic and give Pat hers....Just how it goes.....

BTW, I have 3 friends named Howard, they stink at basketball too...Always a guaranteed win:)

I hate that Geno is racking up the wins. It is what it is. Their soft schedule won't show in the record books. I only hope the lady vols get a shot at them this year. We have to get alot better to beat them though. GLV!!!

I hate that Geno is racking up the wins. It is what it is. Their soft schedule won't show in the record books. I only hope the lady vols get a shot at them this year. We have to get alot better to beat them though. GLV!!!

Geno has 7 NC to Pat's 8.

Geno is 4-0 in NC games AGAINST UTK.

I believe the "soft" schedule is already showing in the record books.

I have enough time discussing womens basketball. I'm good for another 10 years.

Geno has 7 NC to Pat's 8.

Geno is 4-0 in NC games AGAINST UTK.

I believe the "soft" schedule is already showing in the record books.

I have enough time discussing womens basketball. I'm good for another 10 years.

I agree to a point. Geno is a winner. See some of the previous posts regarding their soft schedule. That is just a fact. The same fact that geno has pats number. No hard feelings here. I want them to play more often. It's healthy....

Love Pat, but if she was even 50-50 against him in NC games, she would have 10Championships to his 5....

I still hope we play them in the Tourney and Pat stops the Streak on her way to #9

I think the last few years, Geno has had a leg up, especially when it comes to recruiting. That's just the way women's basketball works. The team with the best players almost always wins. Now, I realize you can say that about any sport, but it seems to be more pronounced in women's basketball. I can't remember any time in the UConn/Lady Vols series where the team that won a game between them (regular season or postseason) actually upset the other. The team with the most talent in that rivalry always wins, either way. For that reason, I wouldn't say either of them is any better than the other.

Really?.....4-0 in NC against Pat....who cares what his regular season schedule is....still gotta play the tourney

The fact that this debate is still going is ridiculous. Geno is one NC behind with 11 fewer years as a coach.

The nitpicking trying to find an instance where Pat is superior is just nuts.

The one issue that people always overlook is simply this...CPS is the major reason WBB at the college level became the least bit relevant in the first place...All arguments aside, if it weren't for CPS blazing the trail for WCBB, Geno and his streak would not be possible to begin with..CPS was a pioneer and whether folks want to admit it or not, she created the foundation for WCBB to have the media success it has now...Throw a 100% graduation rate , yes 100%, coupled with the innumerable Head Coaches in WCBB who came through her program, I dare say she established a blueprint for success both on AND off the court..The criteria for "Best Coach" might be broad for some, but it is undeniable when discussing "Most Successful Coach"...Wins alone establish her claim to that...Combine her accomplishments of graduating student athletes with her track record of having those players become successful in WCBB as coaches and administrators and the debate is over...CPS wins hands down...But I guess some folks will continue to make arguments to the contrary and so be it...But realistically the all-time wins record in ALL of CBB and an 84% winning percentage, with half of those against ranked opponents, combined with 8 National Championships makes it a no-brainer...I'm done with this argument because there isn't one...The numbers do not lie...Pat Summitt is the Best coach in WCBB...Period...

Last edited:
The one issue that people always overlook is simply this...CPS is the major reason WBB at the college level became the least bit relevant in the first place...All arguments aside, if it weren't for CPS blazing the trail for WCBB, Geno and his streak would not be possible to begin with..CPS was a pioneer and whether folks want to admit it or not, she created the foundation for WCBB to have the media success it has now...Throw a 100% graduation rate , yes 100%, coupled with the innumerable Head Coaches in WCBB who came through her program, I dare say she established a blueprint for success both on AND off the court..The criteria for "Best Coach" might be broad for some, but it is undeniable when discussing "Most Successful Coach"...Wins alone establish her claim to that...Combine her accomplishments of graduating student athletes with her track record of having those players become successful in WCBB as coaches and administrators and the debate is over...CPS wins hands down...But I guess some folks will continue to make arguments to the contrary and so be it...But realistically the all-time wins record in ALL of CBB and an 84% winning percentage, with half of those against ranked opponents, combined with 8 National Championships makes it a no-brainer...I'm done with this argument because there isn't one...The numbers do not lie...Pat Summitt is the Best coach in WCBB...Period...

you are absolutely correct. but people now only look at what is directly in front of them and nothing else. and not just in wcbb.
example: tom brady is the best qb maybe ever but certainly currently. but people argue he isnt because he doenst have the most yards, or the flashiest offense or whatever is currently the "fad". he has DOMINATED but people are saying vick should be MVP because he led the comeback against Giants.

people are only looking at whats right in front of them and right now Geno is there. so that means hes the best.

4-0

Geno's a better coach. :yes:

The inferiority complex that Lady Vol fans have is embxarassing

this. Pat was the standard bearer in the sport for a long time, now it's geno's turn. It's just the way it is. He's already the most dominant coach in the history of the sport.

VN Store

Back