Fulmer Picking Up Steam/Schools looking at Fulmer?(merged)

PMC2726

Believe
I am not a Fulmer lover or hater. Like a majority of UT fans, I BOTH loved and hated him at times. With that said, I always respected him and what he gave to UT and I think with a new perspective, renewed energy, and an opportunity for a fresh start, Fulmer would make an excellent head coach.

I keep reading Fulmer's name being tossed around in more and more places as a potential candidate for Minnesota's next head coach. I think it would be a great place for him and I'm hoping that this rumor takes on some traction. (As an aside, I thought Louisville would have been a perfect job for Fulmer and was disappointed that he didn't get more attention there).

Just a few reasons why I think it would be a great hire for Minnesota--

1. He's a name and brings instant attention and credibility. Love him or hate him, he's got a great resume and is a household name. In addition, Fulmer and Tubby would make a great pair and bring a lot of attention to both of its programs.

2. It can't get much worse in Minnesota right now and Fulmer is the perfect guy to bring a program into the light. Granted, Fulmer's ability to keep the program in the light is a different story, but Minnesota is a long way away from having to worry about that problem.

3. Despite Fulmer's recruiting woes the last few years here, he has tons of contacts all over the country and would immediately super charge their recruiting program. I think Fulmer's got a renewed energy and perspective after having 2 years off. I haven't looked at Minnesota's roster, but I can't imagine there's too many kids that go there from outside the midwest and Fulmer would immediately bring in kids from southern and California schools.

4. Fulmer's style of play is perfectly suited to compete with the current Big 10 powers -- Ohio St, Iowa, Mich St. and Wisc. Fulmer would eventually turn Indiana and Northwestern into Vandy and Kentucky. Rich Rod's spread would pose a problem for Fulmer, but Rich Rod may not be around too long.

QUESTION: If you were the Minnesota A.D., would you put Fulmer on your short list? I would.

:popcorn:

Fulmer claimed the reason 2005 sucked was because he lost the "fire" and of course, when people suggested he needed to go, he explained that with the return of said fire he'd be a winner. That worked out wonderfully. He's done. Forever.

Also, Tim Brewster was very well regarded as far as work ethic and recruiting ability. If he couldn't get talent, neither can an old has-been.

Last edited:
Didn't Fulmer say something about wanting to compete for championships? I'm not sure he'd do that at Minnesota. Atleast not soon.

Don't see it happening.

Though, it would be unique to see both '98 national championship coaches together in the same athletic department.

I hope Minnesota is stupid enough to hire him to finally exterminate the possibility of him becoming UT's AD. Sadly, they aren't that retarded.

In a word. Yes.

A day after the hire, the program would double it's credibility. Yes, I was for the Fulmer fire.

That being said, it would be a hard program to turn around. If I were Fulmer I'd choose retirement over MN. It would be a risky move for any coach.

I hope Minnesota is stupid enough to hire him to finally exterminate the possibility of him becoming UT's AD. Sadly, they aren't that retarded.

This is a great point. Get him far away from Tennessee and the AD position.

Wasn't Brewster a fringe candidate in 2008 for Fulmer's job? It would be a bit ironic.

It would make perfect sense. Fulmer turned Tennessee into the Minnesota of the SEC. Now, he can go coach the original.

I hope the best for fulmer. I hope he gets a chance, but I think the game has passed him by.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Don't see it happening.

Though, it would be unique to see both '98 national championship coaches together in the same athletic department.

Ha...so that's where they go to-to...well, do what ever.

Have to admit it would be a great opportunity for the university to put to the squeeze on the alumni.

It'd be a horrible hire for Minnesota. He has no ties to the area, and he's got nothing left in the tank to lead a rebuilding process that would take as much as Minnesota would from him.

I'm not saying I'd be jealous, but it would be so weird seeing CPF on another team's sidelines. Oh well, I'm going to look into the costs of opening up a Krispy Kreme franchise in Minneapolis, near the campus, if he gets the job.

This is all well and good... but is Minnesota committed to winning championships? That's the deal breaker.

Does he, or anyone else for that matter, really want to coach at a place that is sub-zero 1/2 of the year? Good luck getting a FL kid to go play there!

VN Store

Back