On Mike Slive

MystifyingVol

Gruden is contagious!
Anyone that watches football knows that a ref can screw up the momentum of a game and unintentionally effect the outcome. However, a good ref'ing crew is not even noticed, because they did their job correctly.

That's how I feel about the SEC commish, I shouldn't even KNOW HIS NAME. If he was doing his job, no one (average fan) in the SEC would know his name, the officials would be doing a good job, and we wouldn't have endless debates over Meyer getting suspended, officials not calling plays, etc.

It's time for this buffoon to go, he's bringing unwanted attention to the SEC, and unlike some of our coach's comments, the "bad" press is not flattering or doesn't fall under the "any press is good press" scenario.

How do SEC fans, and I believe fans from other institutions might agree, bring enough pressure to take him out?

Anyone that watches football knows that a ref can screw up the momentum of a game and unintentionally effect the outcome. However, a good ref'ing crew is not even noticed, because they did their job correctly.

That's how I feel about the SEC commish, I shouldn't even KNOW HIS NAME. If he was doing his job, no one (average fan) in the SEC would know his name, the officials would be doing a good job, and we wouldn't have endless debates over Meyer getting suspended, officials not calling plays, etc.

It's time for this buffoon to go, he's bringing unwanted attention to the SEC, and unlike some of our coach's comments, the "bad" press is not flattering or doesn't fall under the "any press is good press" scenario.

How do SEC fans, and I believe fans from other institutions might agree, bring enough pressure to take him out?

Kiffin = Ali
Slive = Howard Cosell

If Ali never opened his mouth, Cosell would have nothing to respond back with.

The primary reason why you know who Slive is, is because he keeps having to remind Kiffin what the rules are, as opposed to what Kiffin thinks the rules are.

Kiffin = Ali
Slive = Howard Cosell

The primary reason why you know who Slive is, is because he keeps having to remind Kiffin what the rules are, as opposed to what Kiffin thinks the rules are.

Kiffin isnt he only one questioning the officiating. Urby Cryer did it just the other day, but he is the cream in Slives coffee. Nothing will be done, further adding to the assumptions that he is Slives boy-toy.

Kiffin = Ali
Slive = Howard Cosell

Agree. Kiffin forced Slive's hand when he made the comment about the warnings being useless.

Kiffin isnt he only one questioning the officiating. Urby Cryer did it just the other day, but he is the cream in Slives coffee. Nothing will be done, further adding to the assumptions that he is Slives boy-toy.

True, other coaches have questioned the officiating, but only Kiffin has accused other coaches of cheating (when they weren't) and referees missing the specific call on Cody (which they didn't based on the rule).

True, other coaches have questioned the officiating, but only Kiffin has accused other coaches of cheating (when they weren't) and referees missing the specific call on Cody (which they didn't based on the rule).

We can debate this ad naseum, it wouldn't change the fact that you are wrong.

He went overboard on the cheating comment, had he left off the "I'm turning him in right now comment" it would've been fine. In the 'Bama game, he was more concerned about the disparity in the # of calls.

Why are you here? We played you guys over a month ago, go slither back to your own d*mn board.

Despite the fact that you tried to derail my thread, I still hold to the fact that I shouldn't even know his name.... he's on a power trip and needs to be removed. I think the majority of the fan base in the SEC would agree unless they cheer for UF or UA.

We can debate this ad naseum, it wouldn't change the fact that you are wrong.

He went overboard on the cheating comment, had he left off the "I'm turning him in right now comment" it would've been fine. In the 'Bama game, he was more concerned about the disparity in the # of calls.

Why are you here? We played you guys over a month ago, go slither back to your own d*mn board.

Despite the fact that you tried to derail my thread, I still hold to the fact that I shouldn't even know his name.... he's on a power trip and needs to be removed. I think the majority of the fan base in the SEC would agree unless they cheer for UF or UA.

Kiffin went overboard claiming Meyer cheated, then after the Bama game he pretty much said any reprimand from Slive is worthless. Your coach called out the commissioner of the Southeastern Conference in public. He undermined the authority of the commissioner in public. This is why you know Mike Slive's name.

You might want to check your facts. Kiffin said on his coach's show that Cody should have been flagged, and the Vols should have been allowed to re-kick the FG after a 15 yard mark-off.

SEC officiating sinks to a new low | The Junkyard Blawg

As CBS Sports exec Mike Aresco told the Birmingham News last week, “Tim Tebow has just been ratings gold … You cannot overstate the value of Florida and Alabama. … If you needed two teams to carry you, those are the two.”

Maybe that kind of thinking only goes on at CBS headquarters and not at the network’s business partner, the SEC. If so, SEC commissioner Mike Slive and Redding need to act now to counter the perception that the fix is in.

Articles like this came out long before Kiffin made comments about the UT/Alabama officiating. The fact that poor officiating changed the outcome of two games, coupled with the perception that the SEC office wants UF/Alabama undefeated when they meet in the SECCG has caused people to take note of Slive, not Kiffin, he's just added fueld to the fire.

Articles like this came out long before Kiffin made comments about the UT/Alabama officiating. The fact that poor officiating changed the outcome of two games, coupled with the perception that the SEC office wants UF/Alabama undefeated when they meet in the SECCG has caused people to take note of Slive, not Kiffin, he's just added fueld to the fire.

Do you work in the SEC office or are you just another conspiracy theorist?

I don't have an issue with coaches being outspoken over bad officiating, especially when it's as bad as this year. SEC officials are garbage. But I understand why the rule is in place.

However the commissioner has a problem with false accusations of cheating, conspiracy theories about the referees and his authority being undermined by a guy he reprimanded just a couple months ago.....for falsely accusing another coach of cheating.

If you can't grasp the difference between those two cases then we're well past the point of any productive discussion.

If you can't grasp the difference between those two cases then we're well past the point of any productive discussion.

You failed to grasp that your earlier point is invalid if national attention was already on Slive because of poor officiating. It was poor officiating, not Kiffin. Myers is the latest to draw attention to the problem, for whatever reason.

You failed to grasp that your earlier point is invalid if national attention was already on Slive because of poor officiating. It was poor officiating, not Kiffin. Myers is the latest to draw attention to the problem, for whatever reason.

No, it's still valid.

National attention was initially on Kiffin based on his accusations of Meyer cheating, prompting the reprimand from Slive.

I agree the referees sucking have nothing to do with Kiffin, because Kiffin wasn't the only coach to speak out about it.

Slive took heat over the refs, then suspended the crew that called the UF-Arky and UGA-LSU games. What more would you like for him to do?

At the end of the day, Slive taking heat over poor officiating has nothing to do with him enforcing league policy amongst the coaches, unless you subscribe to the whole Slive/Meyer conspiracy.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back